Stylish LED ceiling light - does it exist?

(11 Posts)
Artyjools Tue 05-Nov-13 08:44:43

Hi, DH is obsessed with low cost lighting. Admittedly, when we moved in here, there were halogen lights all over the place, which is one of the reasons why the energy report on the house was so awful. We have been gradually replacing them with LEDs and energy saving bulbs, but we have come to a full stop with lighting for the hallway and landing (4 lights in total). I want something stylish and, other than some fancy German brand, which cost £££££££ per light, we haven't been able to find anything. Any suggestions, ladies, please?

fresh Tue 05-Nov-13 15:08:19

Haven't found any fittings which are (a) purely LED and (b) stylish, but I did buy some Phillips LED light bulbs in Waitrose the other day, usual BC fitting. About £15 each but claimed to last a million years (or something). Anyway, would that help? It would open up the design parameters a bit.

Artyjools Tue 05-Nov-13 16:46:39

Thanks Fresh. I think that's the way we are going to have to go. There is a huge gap in the market. If I buy anything that isn't energy efficient, I'll never be allowed to switch it on!!

fresh Tue 05-Nov-13 17:23:21

On the other hand, if you want to terrify your DH, you could show him these. They could do you a lovely installation for a handy four figure sum....grin

BrownSauceSandwich Tue 05-Nov-13 17:26:49

I think LED bulbs are the way forward. There's always going to be more choice in standard light fittings, and LED brightness/colour combos are a really personal thing, so you have to find the one that works for you.

I'm on your husband's side of this argument. Sure, you have to spend a bit upfront, but after that you can pretty much forget it. Our kitchen spotlights now use less than a tenth of what they did, with no degradation of light quality.

wonkylegs Tue 05-Nov-13 17:51:35

We just use LED bulbs or energy efficient bulbs in regular fittings.
We replaced the previous owners multiple candelabra (house had over 70, 40w candle bulbs) with some really sculptural lighting. I linked to the shades on
another thread. They are stylish but don't cost a fortune.

Artyjools Mon 11-Nov-13 12:27:36

Thank you Brown. I have fully bought into the concept of using LEDs for environmental / cost reasons, it's just that there is precious little choice around at the moment. I find it baffling really. Why aren't manufacturers onto this?

Than you Wonky. I love those cardboard shades. I wonder if there would be a problem with keeping them clean though?

wonkylegs Mon 11-Nov-13 19:19:42

They are recycled plastic and they are wipe clean if you need to but generally they just need a dust. We've had one of them for 9yrs (I bought it as a temporary solution but loved it so much we've kept it) and it still looks brand new

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 11-Nov-13 19:55:43

I don't understand, we have led lights but I buy the lamp fittings I want and then buy the bulbs to fit it.

I'm missing something aren't I? Something obvious?

CointreauVersial Tue 12-Nov-13 23:01:55

You don't need special light fittings, surely, you just replace the current halogen bulbs with "retrofit" LED ones. Well, that's what we did.

Helliecopter Wed 13-Nov-13 08:11:53

^^ What she said. That's what we're doing too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now