EDINBURGH MUMSNETTERS - HELP!!

(129 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Raptorrethy Sun 03-Nov-13 10:34:52

A few months ago I started a thread about living near Edinburgh - specifically within 30 mins of the airport. Moving to that area was on the cards and it is again - but the thread, of course, has disappeared as it was in Chat!! It was over 100 posts of great, friendly advice and I NEED IT AGAIN!! You lot were soooo lovely and I hope you will perhaps take a minute or two to post your advice again as a move is even more imminent now. THANK YOU thanks thanks in advance.

So - we would like to be semi-rural, preferably in a village, but must be 30-40 mins from Edinburgh Airport. Schools are a crucial factor - we have DD8 and DS6. We want, as does everyone, a lovely and successful primary school and then caring and thriving secondary - good state or private. DD very academic, DS more into being as noisy as possible as befits a 6yo boy grin. I am a teacher so would be looking for a job, too, but not crucial straight away. I'm also interested in the weather and midges - are they a nightmare?!

Let's go - can we make over 100 posts from unbelievably brilliant Scottish people again???

thanks and here's a brew for good measure.

Raptorrethy Sun 10-Nov-13 18:17:22

Thank you...I am overwhelmed by the great advice on this thread, all the links and carefully considered comments.

We have a lot to think about and I may well be PMing some of you over the next few months...thank you, thank you!

fishyscott Sun 10-Nov-13 20:39:47

What a fantastic thread this is.... lots of info...just what I need as our move from NZ is imminent. We too are after a 30min commute to the aiport. To date I have not found a school with 3 places for my kids (P1,P3,P6) so we are now looking at Midlothian - any info on Rosewell and local schools would be appreciated. Apparently the local school has spaces - it's a small school with lots of composite classes - what's the general opinion on those - my kids currently attend a large primary school (500+) which offers lots of extra activities, clubs etc - will going to a small school be too much of a change for them (and me)!

motherstongue Sun 10-Nov-13 22:07:52

Hello Fishy - Composite classes can work well and you shouldn't be afraid of them as long as the ethos of the school is that each child works to their ability. You would think if it is a wee school that this might be more achievable if the class sizes are small. However, just because it is a small school doesn't mean the class sizes will be small because the local authorities allocate teachers to schools on the basis of the whole school role, it is then up to the head teacher to distribute the kids accordingly. Saying that, I think the maximum kids allowed in a composite class is 25. I stand to be corrected!!!!

With regards extra activities at school, from my own experience in my home town, the extra activities after school are very few. Nearly all the kids do extra curricular stuff with outside organisations like dancing, football, swimming etc. if you want lots of extra curricular activities incorporated into school life you would probably need to look at private school. Hope that helps

SunnyL Mon 11-Nov-13 12:47:24

Hi Fishy. I live 2 miles from Rosewell. It's a small village with a reasonably strong community but it isn't a very rich area and the village is looking a little run down these days. I looked very closely at buying a house there because of how cheap it was but I'm quite glad I didn't in the end as where I ended up has more amenities and is better organised.

Close by but nice villages with good primary schools are Howgate, Carrington, Temple and Roslin.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Nov-13 17:21:37

Hello there

We've moved this to Property/DIY at the OP's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now