Please critique my house

(104 Posts)
nosupermum Wed 16-Oct-13 10:46:14

Our property has been on the market 1 week and we have had 1 viewing. They were people that had just sold with the same agent so were told as soon as we had approved the details. They said they liked it but the garden was a bit too small and they weren't keen on the 3rd bedroom being on a separate storey from the main 2 and the little nursery/study room.

I think it is on for a reasonable price. The market is fairly slow here- smaller houses are moving fairly quickly but all the bigger things that we have been looking at are quite stagnant. I suppose we are a bit in between the 2.

Is there anything drastically obvious you can see? It is going to kill me keeping this place quickly presentable with 3 DC under 6 years old if we need to do this for monthshmm

I will chat to the agent at the end of the week for feedback but have just braced myself to post here meantime...

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28287324.html

It's only been for sale for a short while.
You seem to have a lot of blank walls where I'd expect there to be some sort of feature, a fireplace, mirror or picture. So your sitting room furniture is clustered around a non existent fireplace, but the lovely fireplace in the dining room is cunningly hidden behind the table.

And because it looks quite empty/blank canvas, it makes me wondered where you've stored all your belongings/toys and I'd assume that there isn't anywhere to keep stuff.

I don't think that this is a big problem though, as it is a lovely house and once you get some viewings people will make their own plans on how to use the space.

AngryFeet Wed 16-Oct-13 11:18:50

I would remove the single chair in the lounge (the one you can see in the 2nd lounge pic as it makes the room look small.

The house looks fine although personally I prefer houses that have a bit more "stuff" in them as to me it looks very unhomely and a bit cold. No offence, just my opinion but it can be offputting to some.

pippop1 Wed 16-Oct-13 11:20:43

Agree with others in that the sofa looks slightly odd. Lovely that it's detached. Can that be made more of in words as the first picture doesn't show that unless you look carefully.

Some plants or flowers in strategic places will soften the effects a little. I would think that the people have moved out already OP.

looknow Wed 16-Oct-13 11:20:49

It's lovely.

Would the problem be the location and lack of parking? The one way system and awful shortages of parking could be whats up.

I think it a very fair price for the area.

JauntyHat Wed 16-Oct-13 11:21:06

Everyone has said what I wanted to say - swap dining and living room for sure.

I'd also get rid of the big pink rug.

Alexandrite Wed 16-Oct-13 11:21:16

I think it's gorgeous. So well decorated. The pink walled bedroom wouldn't be my taste, but could soon be painted over. What is the outbuilding? The garden would look nicer if the whole of the bottom bit was laid to lawn and then plants round the edge. It would just look greener. But generally the house is gorgeous.

Rowlers Wed 16-Oct-13 11:24:09

I would'nt worry and do anything drastic.
It juts wasn't the right house for the people who came to see it - you can't do anything about the things they didn't like.
Agree it is maybe a little too clean and neat and tidy!

MerryMarigold Wed 16-Oct-13 11:33:53

If you put your dining table coming out from that blank chimney breast, with chairs around, and then move your sofas to face each other across from that fireplace, your rooms will look miles bigger.

Actually, reading thread I think Cotananat came up with it first and I think the idea is also a brilliant solution to the blank fireplace.

cavell Wed 16-Oct-13 11:42:17

Agree with everyone else about swapping around the dining room and sitting room.

You talk of a little study room and there's one on the plans, but no photo. Is the study room actually set up as a study? If not, put the desk and computer from the attic room in there and make clear the room's purpose.

I would get rid of the lone chair in the living room and put it in one of the bedrooms with a throw and cushion to make the room look a little "cosier".

I would also rearrange the dining room chairs so the high chair isn't the first thing you see in the room - put it at the far end of the table.

Having said all that, one week is nothing. Very early to start worrying (although I recognise the feeling - one you've decided to move, you just want to get the whole process over and done with).

You have a nice house - good luck!

newgirl Wed 16-Oct-13 11:51:15

i too like the idea of the sofa in front of the fireplace

any chance you could paint the front door a cheerful blue? door is nice but brown a bit gloomy. Put two trees or something by it for a bit of kerb appeal?

rest is very nice

MerryMarigold Wed 16-Oct-13 11:54:19

I like the wooden door! Don't paint it.

Herhonesty Wed 16-Oct-13 12:01:13

dont like view from back. could do with a tree.

Could you borrow a nice table and chairs for the patio?

jimijack Wed 16-Oct-13 12:06:19

What's that building out back? Is it a factory?
Is it noisy or smelly?

Only thing that would put me off tbh, lovely house.

lalalonglegs Wed 16-Oct-13 12:13:40

Have you thought about not having any viewings until your agent can drum enough interest to have an open house then you don't need to spend all your time tidying?

RedHelenB Wed 16-Oct-13 12:13:54

I think the fact it is SO tidy & the size of the garden would make me think a family couldn't live comfortably there, just going from your photos. Try changing the furniture around ,as suggested, because the way the sofa sticks out makes me think the room is very small. Plus point is that there would be no need to do any work once you've moved in & it looks lovely & clean & freah & uptodate!

That is the tidiest house I have ever seen in my life! Its really nice though, just toooo tidy. It looks a little souless and unloved. Get some of your stuff back out. I would prefer to see a lived in house so that I could imagine all my stuff in it.

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 16-Oct-13 12:30:14

Gorgeous house. Id move in tomorrow!

But second what a few others have said....pop a few flowers round and make it looked a bit more lived in.

Hell if that house came up at that price where I am, youd have people pushing you out the door!!

CPtart Wed 16-Oct-13 12:31:51

Extremely tidy, overly so if anything. That dining table is crying out for a centrepiece, candles, flowers or something and I agree that cream sofa looks in an odd place.

I would also lose the door mat outside the front door.

Norudeshitrequired Wed 16-Oct-13 12:34:35

dont like view from back. could do with a tree.

And where exactly is the OP supposed to get a tree from? hmm Trees take years to grow. Besides most people hate trees in gardens, too much of a risk in stormy weather.

flakjacket Wed 16-Oct-13 12:39:43

Was about to say switch the living room and dining room around - but loads of people have said it already smile

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 16-Oct-13 12:41:44

Nice house, and I wouldn't object to the tidiness, but I do think you could do with a few pictures around the place. Bedrooms in particular look kind of stark. And maybe a blind in the bathroom for the same reason.

I was also going to suggest that dining and sitting rooms are the wrong way round. I'd have a sofa in the bay and one opposite, then you might be able to find space for the chair opposite the fireplace (or evict it for viewings). This should tone down the point-at-the-tv look, and would really sell the dining room. Also, I'm guessing it would put the dining room next to your kitchen, which I think feels more natural, especially to buyers who hanker to open-plan their kitchen/dining room.

Otherwise, your kitchen looks lovely, and bathroom looks really spacious. Hanging basket shot slightly random, but there are much worse crimes!

Norudeshitrequired Wed 16-Oct-13 12:44:20

I'm not sure that switching around the living room and dining room as some have suggested is a good idea. The patio doors overlooking the garden means you can sit on the sofa and watch the children play outside (this house is clearly aimed at a family market). Putting a dining table in front of the patio doors would mean that you can't sit on the sofa and look out at the garden easily without an obscured view. The other problem is the layout of the doors, looking at the floor plans if you switched the rooms around you would have to walk through the living room with your dinner to get to the dining room; not very practical.

LaRegina Wed 16-Oct-13 12:45:33

I was going to say I would swap the living room and dining room around - then you can have the sofas around the fireplace and make it look much cosier - then I noticed it's been said about ten times already grin

Other than that, it's a nice looking house but I also think I would ask the agents to remove the pic of the hanging basket - that's just weird!

LaRegina Wed 16-Oct-13 12:48:22

Besides most people hate trees in gardens, too much of a risk in stormy weather.

That's the most random thing I've ever heard grin

No offence norudeshit smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now