Kitchen floor tiles, dark grout?

(15 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 16-Oct-13 07:46:12

Does this look nice? What colour tiles work with dark grout? The worktops are a browny granitey type thing.

knittedslippersx3 Wed 16-Oct-13 07:49:40

I have brown kitchen floor tiles with a similar coloured brown grout. I love it. It makes the floor flow better and look seamless rather than broken up with lots of ugly white grout lines.

Pagwatch Wed 16-Oct-13 07:52:27

I have a blue/black slate in the kitchen with a dark grout. I really like it.
I had always been put off slate because I had only seen it with white grout which looks bathroomish to me.

ILoveAFullFridge Wed 16-Oct-13 08:01:15

I think if I had dark worktops I would go for a lighter floor. Possibly a bit too darkly oppressive otherwise. Tho of course your lighting and cabinet colours would make a difference.

That said, I have dark grey slate-like matt tiles on my bathroom floor, with slightly lighter grey grout, and it looks utterly lovely. The rest of the bathroom is all pale. Dark floor with pale grout is too stark and eye-catching IMO.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 16-Oct-13 08:10:00

Thanks everyone. I really need to make a decision!

I have cream porcelain tiles through out my hall, cloakroom, kitcheh and utilty and insisted (despite my tilers protests) on have matching cream grout. Tiler suggested grey grout. 5 years down the line my lovely cream grout is grubby (no amount of cleaning brings it back) and has gone grey anyway, so wish I had gone for the darker grout.

throckenholt Wed 16-Oct-13 10:54:57

We have grey grout with light tiles - I was doubtful when the shop advised it - but it has been great. Tiles are about 7 years old now - tiles and grout still look fine.

Couple of images on my profile.

ILikeBirds Wed 16-Oct-13 13:05:12

We have slate coloured tiles with charcoal grout (darker than the tiles). Really pleased with the combination, a friend has the same tiles with a light grey grout and the lighter grout does get mucky looking.

Definitely go for dark grout on floor unless you are prepared to scrub the white grout with bleach and toothbrush every day! grin

HormonalHousewife Wed 16-Oct-13 13:13:13

Definitely if you dont want to be cleaning it every day (I have to do this too Amazing !)

I have 2 kitchens - (another story) one is cream limestone with cream grouting and the other is a mix of red brown grey marble with grey grout.

The limestone is definitely more modern and 'now' but it is a pain in the --knees- bum to keep clean.

I'd go for the random brown grey marble anyday.

wonkylegs Wed 16-Oct-13 21:15:21

Grey grout with cream tiles works well & in our old house it still looked good after 10 yrs despite our slattern ways
We are going with it again in new kitchen

HansieMom Thu 17-Oct-13 01:38:30

I had light entry tiles with light grout. Big mistake. I had to clean it before I scrubbed it. Otherwise I would have made mud and smeared it around.

PigletJohn Thu 17-Oct-13 01:45:19

tilers recommend grey grout for floors because white will never look clean.

Helliecopter Thu 17-Oct-13 12:16:45

We are about to tile our kitchen floor ourselves and want to use grey grout for all the mentioned reasons! Do the DIY shops sell it?

BMW6 Thu 17-Oct-13 17:48:26

I have chargoal grey tiles with same colour grout. Life is too short to be on hands and knees scrubbing white grout endlessley.

All DIY shops do coloured grout IME

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now