IKEA Expedit - securing to wall?!?

(19 Posts)
Cheeka Sun 13-Oct-13 21:41:52

So I've just purchased a 5x5 ikea Expedit shelving unit. Looks great but the skirting board is preventing a flush surface in which to secure the shelving to the wall. I have a climbing toddler and v nervous about him trying to scale the thing and it topples over. I imagine most people have skirting boards, so what did you do? DH suggests a wood shim inbetween wall and unit to level things out. Would u need a extra long screw? Help!!

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 13-Oct-13 21:48:12

We've trimmed ours before building it so its flush to wall pre securing.

A wooden shim and long screw would work fine.

Ginformation Sun 13-Oct-13 21:49:15

We have just done the same. Used a wood block (painted white, the same as the expedit) and long screws. Looks fine, feels very secure.

bundaberg Sun 13-Oct-13 21:50:06

this is so freaky. last night I was talking to DP about this and saying how people always look like they just stand it by the wall, and wouldn't it fall over etc etc

and LO! a bloody thread about it!

CalculatorCalender Sun 13-Oct-13 21:51:51

We've got straps from ebay that work really well.

Artandco Sun 13-Oct-13 21:52:16

They are quite sturdy tbh. We use as a room divider and it would never have occurred to me that it needed securing

We've used safety straps for our Expedit and our wardrobes.

Periwinkle007 Sun 13-Oct-13 22:10:55

we have a similar unit but not expedit and it stands out from the wall (skirting and fireplace) held securely with straps. I secure EVERYTHING with young children, not worth any risk IMO

Northernexile Sun 13-Oct-13 22:39:50

We have some metal arm thingies that DH used to secure ours to the wall. It looks fine, and we have skirting. 19mo DD is a total mountaineer, so we are taking no chances.

Cheeka Sun 13-Oct-13 23:03:31

Bundaberggrin
Where did u get the straps, mrs cakes and calculator?
I've shoved an insert under the unit to keep it level while I try to procure long screws/wooden bits/straps. Seems ok for the moment but will def address it this week. This is the worst bit, having to tether it to walls and such like hmm

I think they came from IKEA - probably in the pack with the item as they are needed for safety.

Cheeka Mon 14-Oct-13 01:31:42

I remember when ikea used to include safety straps with their shelving but I think they've changed it to these little mini metal keyhole type plates. I prefer the straps...

PinkFairyArmadillo Mon 14-Oct-13 01:38:59

We've just fitted (ok, well my dad has grin) a 5x5 Expedit unit to the wall. The little metal plates that came with it could be positioned in two different ways, one if the unit sits flush to the wall and the other if there's a gap due to the skirting board.

My dad just used appropriate screws for the type of wall and the little metal plates have done the job nicely, it's really secure and they have little white plastic covers that mean they're not too obvious.

yomellamoHelly Mon 14-Oct-13 07:08:28

Ours is screwed to the picture rail. Has all the toys in it and don't completely trust the kids.

CrustaceanRelation Tue 15-Oct-13 10:21:52
sherbetpips Tue 15-Oct-13 12:49:30

we used straps

SolomanDaisy Tue 15-Oct-13 15:01:41

I looked at it in ikea today and you can get legs for it, so it sits above the skirting and attaches to the wall.

CointreauVersial Tue 15-Oct-13 22:08:48

Ours isn't secured, but the DCs are well past the age when they climb on furniture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now