Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

An artificial tree beside front door? yay nor nay! (I say yes!)

(32 Posts)
M0reC0ffee Sat 12-Oct-13 19:11:15

I have black fingers. If I get a real one it'll die. I have seen some artificial trees on line and they look convincing on line at least. Does anybody have one? Would anybody admit to it?

GrendelsMum Sun 13-Oct-13 19:52:07

I think that if you're not a gardener yourself, you might find them more convincing than someone who's a keen gardener would. But if you're looking for something that you personally think is pretty, then you don't need to worry about 'getting it right'.

M0reC0ffee Sun 13-Oct-13 19:55:50

I was at my parents' house today and they have some trees that are still flowering in October! so I was asking what they were. My Dad told me various names, but the one I liked, an orange one (can't remember) he said the spikes on it would injure the children if they fell against it. Another attracts wasps like a pot of jam. Maybe he gave me too many latin names. I'm addled. I am busier than my Dad as well, to be blunt. grin

GrendelsMum Sun 13-Oct-13 19:56:16

The boxwood tower on the site you linked to might not be too bad? It's got a realistically messy outline as far as I ca judge, and small leaves might be better than large plastic leaves.

PrimalLass Mon 14-Oct-13 07:36:04

That five foot conifer is intended to be an indoor plant? really?! wow.
The ficus? It's not a conifer. Here are the outdoor fakey plants.

www.bloomingartificial.co.uk/artificial-outdoor-plants.html

I wouldn't do it. I have bamboo in big pots either side of the door at the mo. Cheap and easy. I had two bays and they did die after the big snow in 2011 but want to replace them.

PrimalLass Mon 14-Oct-13 07:38:11

Or did you mean this one?

www.bloomingartificial.co.uk/5ft-value-cedar-pine-conifer-.html

Just get real ones. They are really hardy and hard to kill.

CuddyMum Mon 14-Oct-13 16:54:09

Just to add, we weighed our pots down with rocks and stones etc and filled with real soil. Hoping this will rule out the lightweight drunks. smile

I tried two real plants and they were bloody awful - I killed them (as I do with all plants).

I'd consider it - we're putting the house on the market soon, could do with some kerb appeal, and both have brown thumbs of doom. That said, my big gardening success has been with a bay, so maybe I should get a couple of real ones (the one I have is I the back garden and is about 12ft tall, so not an option!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now