Help! Where to buy a family home in South London

(5 Posts)
Loulou1009 Thu 10-Oct-13 12:37:09

We are looking to buy a family 3 or 4 bed terraced house with garden in South London... But where? Budget is 650k max. We hope to send our two children to a school on the Northcote Road so would need to be able to drive there relatively easily. Can you advise me on safe, family friendly and yet affordable spots? Thank you.

About 3 years ago we were looking in south london, and I asked one of the agents on Northcote Rd whether we could get a 5 bedroom house (well 4 with potential to expand) for what I thought was an eye watering £700k. He said we might get a 3 bed which needed a lot of work....

Are you going state or private? If state, you will need to live almost next to the primary there to guarantee a place. And driving round there is a pain.

We ended up buying in Streatham Hill where we have exactly what we want in house terms, and we're 3 mins walk from a lovely primary school. Very happy and no regrets.

lalalonglegs Thu 10-Oct-13 13:03:58

If it's the stste schools near Northcote Rd that you wantyour chldren to attend, £650 wwon't come close for a 3/4 bed house if you're using distance as a means of getting in. (There is a fee-paying school too which will have different admissions). Houses in the "catchment" (no official catchment but area around schools that you can het in from) are very small and houses needing lots of work are north of £1 million.

spotty26 Thu 10-Oct-13 15:05:28

It would have to be Streatham/West Norwood/Tooting Broadway for that money and drivable to SW11 as prices have gone crazy in SW London suburbs.

lalalonglegs Thu 10-Oct-13 15:08:04

Sorry, was typing on phone. Should have said, the "catchment area" is very small not the houses within it are - they are generally 3/4 bedroom Victorian terraces with tiny back gardens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now