quick poll - would this put you off a house?

(18 Posts)
Bookaboo Thu 10-Oct-13 08:50:24

the kitchen has been extended over the inspection chamber for the private drain. the drain has a special cover that is sealed to stop smells or anything else escaping. there is a concealed hatch in the kitchen to access it if ever needed.
that's all - answers please! (i was going to put this in 'chat' to access more traffic but couldn't find it!)

magimedi Thu 10-Oct-13 09:09:51

I would want to take the advice of a good surveyor & a good plumber.

I don't think I'd be happy with that. And it possibly contravenes building regs, which could be a problem when you want to sell.

lalalonglegs Thu 10-Oct-13 09:44:44

I wouldn't like it but I'm not sure it would put me off an otherwise good house. nb: I did rent a house once that had a inspection chamber in the main living room - it wasn't sealed (at least not very well) and was very pongy.

daytoday Thu 10-Oct-13 10:21:38

I'd be worried about rats.

I'd get someone professional to really check the condition of the whole thing otherwise it will cost you thousands to have it remedied.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Thu 10-Oct-13 10:28:09

I think I know the sort of drain you refer as we have one in our garden. Why didnt you get the drain redirected around the extension when you were building? That is what our builder suggested when we looked into it.

Wouldnt put me off if all the correct paperwork was in place.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Thu 10-Oct-13 10:28:29

No. Not if all was as you say smile

LifeofPo Thu 10-Oct-13 10:32:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EastwickWitch Thu 10-Oct-13 10:59:21

No if the survey was OK & the price was right.

HairyPorter Thu 10-Oct-13 11:14:33

Sorry to ask a silly question but what is an inspection chamber?? We've not come across any mention of it in our house hunts (mainly looking at period homes). Is this something we should be asking wen we view a house? Sorry to hijack!

No, not uncommon especially in older houses. If its sealed properly and you can get access it shouldnt be a problem.

It would worry me, but only because my MIL has one of these drains in her patio. Periodically (once ever few years) there is a problem with one on the drains from the houses in her street and because of the way they all link together, she ends up with a backlog of raw sewage bubbling up into her garden.

You can cope when it's outside - but I wouldn't want it happening in my kitchen, so it would be a no from me (unless the surveyor said it was ok, and even then it would have to be the only house available in the area).

NoMoreMadCatLady Thu 10-Oct-13 11:34:52

We had this in our old kitchen, as did every other house that had had their kitchen extended. The gardens were so tiny even tinier once kitchen extended, there was no where else for it to go.
We lived there for 10 years and never had any issues with it, nor did I hear any neighbours who had problems with theirs.

littlecrystal Thu 10-Oct-13 12:54:31

I have open drain pipe going underground in my conservatory, not even a smell stopping cover there (which was pointed out during survey) - it is ok, we have no problem with it. So no, it is a minor thing and would not put me off at all.

SignoraStronza Thu 10-Oct-13 18:15:25

Yes it would - sorry. Only because we have one on our concrete ex council house patio and when the drains back up (we're pretty much the last in a long row with a too gentle drainage slope), the water board have to come into our garden and spend ages sorting it out. It stinks and I often take pity on them and keep them supplied with hot tea.

If we ever have our mythical extension, we'll have to get the cover moved so it will still be external.

spotty26 Thu 10-Oct-13 19:02:15

Would not bother me and almost all houses which have had their side return done are like this. Rats could not got in any more than they could before as the iron hatch is below the kitchen hatch so said Rat would have to open two hatches! That said if the interceptor thingimajig is broken they can creep up the drain and take a peek out of your loo instead, inspection chamber inside or outside. Yikes!

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Thu 10-Oct-13 22:03:21

Yes, absolutely. I don't think it's allowed any more.

Bookaboo Fri 11-Oct-13 08:45:55

just to give some additional info. there isn't currently a hatch in the kitchen to access the chamber, instead there are two access points outside for rodding. the owners originally planned on moving the drain but couldn't/didn't for reasons unknown. the extension has building regs.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Fri 11-Oct-13 12:49:50

then I dont think its an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now