Would you buy a house backing on to a railway line?

(80 Posts)
cordiality Sun 06-Oct-13 10:58:39

We are currently looking to buy our 'forever house'. There is an area of north London that I really like, can just about afford, and have seen a house that could work. However, the garden is north facing and there is a reasonably busy railway like at the bottom of it.

I believe that there are a couple of freight trains per day, and lots of commuter trains (it's the silver link line).

Would this be a deal breaker for you? Is it hideous in summer? I just can't make a decision on this one, and I doubt the vendors would be keen for me to spend the night there just in case!

We live in a house backing onto the Victoria - London Bridge line in S London. No regrets! The garden is tiny, but we're near the common. Also, trains don't go that fast near us and we have sidings next to the houses. They look hideous, but to be honest I don't really see them anymore. We couldn't have afforded the house without the train line...and an added bonus is that it would be almost impossible for anyone to break in from the back of the house. We hear very little noise. And the boys' room looks out over the lines - an added bonus for them!

Preciousbane Fri 11-Oct-13 20:28:39

The trees didn't screen the garden at all, only the front and the side. The elevation of the line meant you were very on view and as I'm not keen on net curtains it was a no. Quite a nice house though.

cordiality Mon 16-Dec-13 13:12:14

I thought I'd update this... we've bought the house! Exchanged last week. Am stocking up on trainspotting books and earmuffs for christmas presents, and selling my best china.

MinimalistMommi Mon 16-Dec-13 17:43:02

Congratulations!
Let us know how you get on?
Are you excited?

Busyoldfool Mon 16-Dec-13 21:55:21

Congratulations! ( From a fellow railway person) Trains at the bottom of my garden make it feel like home. Enjoy it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now