Can a planner rock up and slap on a TPO?

(34 Posts)

We have a tree in our garden when we move that has no TPO.

We're hoping to build an extension and we will invite the planner round for advice (no choice in our area)

If he notices the massive tree (!) will he slap one on?

Thanks Ilikebirds - I'm looking at the map now - it's on the council planning website - no reference to tree

quoteunquote Thu 03-Oct-13 19:55:21

No because I get mine free, they aren't a lot especially for one tree (£125 tops), I'm surprised your insurance / mortgage company hasn't insisted on one.

I always get all trees on any of the properties I am responsible for surveyed, it means you can make informed decisions, and your insurance is valid,

Once I have had a survey done, I have a qualified tree surgeon visit every year, inspect and maintain. This way we never have any surprises.

www.tree-surveys.com/

Just google(other tax paying search engines available) tree surveys and the name of your area, get a quote.

The mortgage company wouldn't know - the guy they got to value it didn't visit the house grin

In fact, weirdly, it's as if no one can see the tree but me hmm

It's not on the plans, the estate agent didn't point it out, the solicitor didn't know the boundaries of the property.

I've just done an online quote for a tree survey for one tree in this area - it's £349 plus vat shock

Maybe this includes other services...

Like turning it into naice garden furniture

MaggieW Thu 03-Oct-13 20:56:09

In our area (SW London) TPOs are only awarded if a tree is a public amenity and accessible to all. No tress in private gardens can have one applied to them.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrandPoohBah Fri 04-Oct-13 00:01:23

Nope, I manage blocks of flats with TPOs on trees (including one right in the middle of a car park with roots encroaching on the drains of the block - still limited in what we can do).

To be honest if there are no restrictive covenants on the property it's unlikely that there's a TPO. Call your council, give them your postcode and find out. They're usually fine!

maxmissie Fri 04-Oct-13 07:17:20

Just thought would point out that even if you don't ask for advice from the planning office about your proposed extension, and just put an application in, the planning officer should still come round to do a site visit once you have submitted the application. So the planners are pretty likely to spot the tree at some point.

They could put a tpo on it at any point as well; before an application is submitted or after.

But as others have pointed out it might or might not be worthy of a tpo, trees usually have to have public amenity value for one to be put on, or it might not be very healthy. The council might also have a tree officer who the planners may ask to look at the tree to see if worthy of tpo. Also the extension may or may not affect the tree or it may affect it but still be ok to do the extension.

thelittlemothersucker Fri 04-Oct-13 10:48:20

My neighbours have just built a two storey garage (there's a room in the roof) v close to a protected tree - think six feet. They had to have the foundations specially assessed, but got permission easily enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now