If you have a white bathroom, what do you have on the floor?

(25 Posts)
nicelyneurotic Thu 03-Oct-13 10:56:26

Re-doing our bathroom. It's currently black and white with a light grey tiled floor. I don't mind it but it's old and the grout is cracked.

I'd quite like to keep it white with some sort of sparkly mosaic detail but not sure what to put on the floor. Is grey the only option? Would white be too sterile and black too dark?

What would you do?

PrimalLass Thu 03-Oct-13 11:01:46

We have the B&Q slate tile laminate in both bathrooms. We did have white tiles in the downstairs one but they kept cracking so we put the laminate stuff on top. We have used it in three houses now.

PrimalLass Thu 03-Oct-13 11:03:26
EastwickWitch Thu 03-Oct-13 11:24:53

Horrible lino that looks like silver tiles.
The edges lift & get really dirty. Not recommended.

loraflora Thu 03-Oct-13 12:17:53

I have a mostly white bathroom with white non-slip tiles with black and marble insets. I don't mind the look of the floor tiles (which is unusual in the case of anything done by the previous owner) but the non-slip aspect makes the steam cleaner drag and I'd prefer something less cold. Also I regrouted it a while ago, which could be an option for you if you like the current tiles, but regret using white grout as it's discolouring again.

loraflora Thu 03-Oct-13 12:21:58

Another thought if the grout is cracked - chances are the floor is not stable enough for tiles, in which case you will get cracks again unless you replace the underlying surface with something suitable. Laminate or lino wouldn't have that issue.

AllBellyandBoobs Thu 03-Oct-13 12:58:52

We've got white painted floorboards which have done remarkably well considering we have a splashy toddler on the loose every night

BikeRunSki Thu 03-Oct-13 13:04:09

Decent limo that is dark blue and mid blue tiny squares, slightly sparkly.

ShimmeringInTheSun Thu 03-Oct-13 13:18:10

Original floorboards, sanded and sealed!

nicelyneurotic Thu 03-Oct-13 14:18:05

Thanks very much! Looks like there are lots of options.

Like the black slate tiles primal but worry they will be too dark as the bathroom doesn't have a window.

The other option is to regrout. Find any sort of home decor decisions very difficult!

charlieandlola Thu 03-Oct-13 14:31:25

Dark grey porcelain large tiles.

A rather nice limestone effect thick lino in the upstairs bathroom and a light oak laminate in the downstairs cloakroom. Both white suites.

I have always hated lino bit in fact it works well in our bathroom and is easy to keep clean.

We inherited a white bathroom, including white tiles on floor. Bit chilly in winter so put a couple of nice little rugs/bath mats on it.

mabelbabel Thu 03-Oct-13 17:00:32

Our bathroom was completely white (floors/walls/suite) when we moved in. We had to take up the floor (for drains) and we replaced it with green/blue sea coloured tiles. Looks nice.

MousyMouse Thu 03-Oct-13 18:57:07

wood effect ceramic tiles.
looks great, non slip.

PatchworkPerson Thu 03-Oct-13 19:02:08

Black and white tiles laid in a checker board pattern, classic and practical but a bit dull.

Mum2Fergus Thu 03-Oct-13 20:07:02

Dirty washing and all the Gups from Octonauts lol

skyblue11 Thu 03-Oct-13 20:27:41

Karndean, silver/blue finish have had it down 12 years never looks any different, someone once said to me you get fed up of it rather than it wears out, you'll never wear it out! Warm and hardwearing, ceramic, travertine are great if you have underfloor heating, we have them in downstairs loo and it's freezing, laminate not suited to bathrooms and carpet is a no no!

quoteunquote Thu 03-Oct-13 20:28:35

Go and have a look at the new modern engineered locking cork flooring, find somewhere with a huge range and have a look (or ring round and get samples)

Nothing like the 70s stuff, it's grown up.

It is brilliant, warm, great in bathrooms, fab texture, fast to lay,tell me what your sub floor is and I'll tell you what you need to add to it to make the correct surface.to lay it on, very simple,

www.lifeofanarchitect.com/cork-flooring-a-modern-floor-choice/

img4.wfrcdn.com/lf/48/hash/7015/4360323/1/US-Floors-Almada-Nevoa-4-1%2F8-Engineered-Locking-Cork-Flooring-in-Alba.jpg

best of all, as a total bonus it is by far the greenest product going, as it grows sustainable and,

A huge amount of European and african birds and wildlife(land and water) rely on cork farming it provides one of the most delicate habitats on migratory routes., as it fell out of fashion we lost a lot of species.

It's getting used on a lot of high end builds, because it so versatile, i have white in my bathroom, its brilliant.

there is a huge range to choose from

It comes sealed.

TinTinsSexySister Thu 03-Oct-13 20:30:53

Plain black & white square tiles in a chequerboard pattern. Looks really good but plain tiles are a bugger to keep clean

olivo Thu 03-Oct-13 20:32:20

We had a white bathroom with pale ish blue non slip tiles. Looked fresh. Was sad to leave it behind!

NanTheWiser Fri 04-Oct-13 17:56:25

I had my bathroom completely gutted and replaced a few months ago. Took me a while to decide on tiles, but I fell in love with some sparkly mosaics mixed with natural black marble and slate, metallic and iridescent glass, they were from Original Style Mosaics and not a cheap option, but loved them. Chose plain white matt tiles from Topps tiles to complement without overpowering them, and then decided on Karndean Black Marble flooring, tiled diagonally, which matched the mosaics. There should be pics on my profile if I've done it right! You can just see the floor near the bath.

PigletJohn Sat 05-Oct-13 15:24:02

socks, obv.

BillyBanter Sat 05-Oct-13 15:29:03

I had and liked white painted boards. And now I have very bright multi coloured vinyl tiles from Harvey Maria which I love.

BillyBanter Sat 05-Oct-13 15:29:58

If there is very little light then maybe white sparkly lino?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now