Wifi extender - any recommendations?

(11 Posts)

so glad you posted this - as the ones we have are totally useless - and seem to make what ever you are using lose all connection !! thanks ! :-)

CointreauVersial Thu 03-Oct-13 00:30:20

I have one of these. It works well, although the setup instructions were pretty poor.

We use these - they send the signal around the house using the electricity wires. The are brilliant - large house, thick walls - have wifi everywhere now. Not expensive either.

wonkylegs Wed 02-Oct-13 17:02:19

Just checked ours are Devolo ones. They work very well with our Asus wireless router and we have no security issues.

wonkylegs Wed 02-Oct-13 16:32:47

I'll check which ones we use when I get home. We spent a lot of time researching them and we've had a bit of trial and error but the ones we've got now work the best. We have had them in a deep terrace house and now in a massive semi both of which suffer from thick brick walls.

CuddyMum Wed 02-Oct-13 15:50:24

I need exactly the same thing... am watching with interest

suntodayplease Wed 02-Oct-13 14:40:55

Not able to run cables as we've recently decorated and I can't face putting more cables up where they've just been removed, hence I want to go for a wireless option. I appreciate this leads to its own problems.
Am I actually after an extender or a repeater? As soon as I google I end up getting totally confused. I've already bought the wrong thing once so need to get it right this time. Baby due imminently and I want wifi in the nursery! There seems to be a huge range in cost for these sorts of things too, does ££ get you better signal?
Thanks

PigletJohn Wed 02-Oct-13 14:02:31

can you run a cable from the existing router to an extra one upstairs?

there are various grumbles about (in)security of plugins

We use these, they work really well. You can use them wireless or run a cable to them.

wonkylegs Wed 02-Oct-13 11:55:30

You need Homeplugs - they use your electrics to extend your network throughout the house. We use them with great success in our Victorian house and I've even used them on a project at a church with stone Walls several feet thick.
There are many makes see buying advice here

suntodayplease Wed 02-Oct-13 11:45:05

Apologies if this isn't the right place! Can anyone recommend a wifi extender for a Victorian terrace? The current wifi box provides internet up through the 3 floors but we struggle to get signal towards the back half of the house. I'm looking for a wireless extender, I did read about some systems that work using your own electrical circuits? But I'm pretty clueless about this sort of thing....
Thanks very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now