Talk to me about 60s/70s houses

(48 Posts)
StainlessSteelBegonia Sun 22-Sep-13 11:41:27

DH and I have been house hunting for a while, and we are coming to the conclusion that the best way to tick all the boxes on our moving list AND still be able to afford to buy in our preferred area will mean buying a 60s/70s house.

It's a bit of a serious mindshift for me. I tend to like the big, square rooms and fairly high ceilings of 30s houses. (I got over the Victorian thing around a decade ago after our first Victorian flat needed non-stop damp treatment for 2 soul destroying years.) Most of the 60s/70s places we've seen online have looked like they're in pretty dire need of modernisation (coloured bathroom suites, manky bathroom carpets, ancient kitchens, and so on) OR have that slightly strange Victorian-repro-fireplace-in-a-60s-house look.

Any MNers out there with a lovingly updated/redesigned 60s/70s house? Any good/bad points to keep in mind?

deepfriedsage Sun 22-Sep-13 11:45:02

Just go with the period in a minimal modern way.

Wineandchoccy Sun 22-Sep-13 11:53:59

We moved last year from a chocolate box 1850's cottage with original features, beams, inglenook fireplace etc it sold within 3 days and they wanted to exchange quickly.

We bought a 1963 semi detached with garden, drive and garage BUT in need of desperate modernisation as the lady was 99 and was the only person to live there so we had woodchip, patterned wallpaper, thick gloss paint on every wood surface, electric shock carpet in every room, bathroom suite is grey with black tiles which have been painted, kitchen doesn't have a proper fitted kitchen and no plumbing for a washing machine as she had a twin tub, living room had a hideous fire stuck on the wall but saying all that its a solid well built house in an amazing area with real potential and no damp!

We have decorated the 3 bedrooms and done the living room and they completely different to when we moved in.

Bathroom is being started in a few weeks and kitchen next year when we have saved up.

If you like the area and room sizes are good I would say go for it you won't regret it we love our retro home! smile

Renniehorta Sun 22-Sep-13 12:43:23

One of the great plus points of 60s/70s houses is the size of the rooms. Much more generous than more recent houses. They also tend to have very big windows. They were designed and mostly built before the steep rise in energy prices around 1973. It was only after that that smaller double glazed windows were the norm. This can also mean that they are very ppor from the point of view of energy efficiency.

I have spent the last 6 months house hunting. I currently live in a 3 storey house built in 2004. I looked at 60/70s houses but in the end decided that I wanted a more modern house. The reason being they often have only the one bathroom. I have been spoilt by having an ensuite and a cloakroom as well.

However if you are prepared to do a lot of work the size of rooms does give you plenty of scope.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 22-Sep-13 16:41:12

Mine is 1969
Plus - lovely big windows in large through rooms lots of light
Generous bedrooms with built in wardrobes - real bonus
Downside - build quality not great poor insulation, poor energy efficiency but these things can be remedied.
Only one loo/bathroom - with some rejigging you could create a loo downstairs but not really worth it to be honest.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 22-Sep-13 16:43:30

forgot to add the best bit is that sometime after being built someone painted the walls the most lurid colours. Purple on stairs bedrooms red and the living room is green!
I've papered over but not replastered one day purple stairs may come in again!

Barbabeau Sun 22-Sep-13 17:40:06

Our house is late 60s.

Pros
Massive windows and very light
All rooms bar the box room feel spacious. This is due to there being no wasted space such as oversized hallways
Built in closets in the bedrooms + linen cupboard in the hall
Decent energy efficiency. Ours is a mid range EPC C. It retains heat fairly well and we've got options to make it more efficient.

Cons
Main bathroom is relatively small
No space to put a second full bathroom without doing a major rejig of things but we do have a downstairs powder room
Not very pretty from the front

We're slowly doing it up and it will have a mix of period furniture and more modern furniture when its done.

loftladder Sun 22-Sep-13 17:53:42

we live early 70s house.
pros
big rooms
huge garden (in comparison to all the local new builds)
generous drive, front garden, and garage
solid walls
tree lined road with grass verges, i think grass verges became extinct after the 60's

cons
atrex, everywhere
funny glass bits above doors
no real character
boxy rooms
the neighbours are generally older, but that might just be here

but character can be added over time

ivykaty44 Sun 22-Sep-13 17:59:59

hanging fire I don't think you would get away with this in an older house

There are so many pluses to a 60/70 house

walls of books in a modern setting

great modern kitchens

Our house is early sixties and did need lots of work but generous sized rooms and big windows sold it for us. Agree ceilings not as high as older houses. I think this kind of house works with modernish style, I'm not sure it would work chintzy.

MadBusLady Sun 22-Sep-13 18:26:25

Watch a lot of Mad Men! I've never had a 60s house but can definitely see the point of the windows and room sizes.

For adding character I think old junky-type antiques work really well in 60s houses as long as you go with white walls and bare floors everywhere and make sure everything is spread out nicely. Clutter, frills and any paint colour that's obviously meant for an older house are the things to avoid. I would have sofas and kitchen modern and sleek though.

tethersend Sun 22-Sep-13 18:31:16

I live in a Victorian maisonette but the decor and everything in it is from the 60s and 70s- I am obsessed grin

Seriously, a coloured suite and original features in a 60s/70s house is my idea of heaven, and I would LOVE to buy such a house and restore it to its former glory.

Here's a beauty

TediousFool Sun 22-Sep-13 18:39:37

Barbabeau said pretty much what I was planning to say!

I couldn't live in mine if it hadn't been extended. The living room is lovely and big, I have my library area at the front near the window and my telly hides the serving hatch! grin

DisappointedHorse Sun 22-Sep-13 18:48:28

I have a 1963 3 bedroom semi. We bought it as a 1st house but circumstances have kept us here.

At first I hated it as I wanted a lovely high ceiling terrace house with period features but I really like it now.

When we moved in, every surface including walls were artexed and every floor carpeted. We had a coloured suite, mirrored wardrobes, gas pipes running under carpets, a condemned radiant fire with back boiler and live wires sticking out of the walls.

We have now got it pretty much how we want it, being decorated in a mid century style and living in it has its benefits. It's got really good sound insulation, it's very warm and it's low maintenance.

I like to consider it a period property too!

loraflora Mon 23-Sep-13 11:47:11

I grew up in a 1963 house. It was fine. Nothing wildly characterful about it, but windows were a decent enough size and it felt quite solid (bear in mind though that I was born in '64, so it wasn't that old then). The main downsides were that the kitchen was quite small and the third bedroom was quite small. I don't recall being warm but this was pre central heating and all we had was one gas fire! I'd consider buying one again if I liked the area.

Mefisto Mon 23-Sep-13 12:05:28

I've recently moved from a 1960's to an Edwardian house and I really miss it. God I loved that house. As a PP said work with the period of the house rather than trying to make it something it isn't. Ours had lovely big windows, was really spacious and light, cheap to heat and maintain and easy to keep clean unlike current cold,damp money pit. Had loads of cleverly concealed storage spaces and was very quirky with a strong identity of its own. Was a comparative bargain too. Check out The Modern House estate agent for some inspiration. YY to Mad Men and watch the Ice Storm for 1970's!

Ha ha - I live in an early seventies house and chose to rip out the fake York stone gas fire surround, which did a good deal more than surround, and replace it with an Edwardian repro fireplace. I have no taste.

Plus sides include the windows, semi-open plan downstairs (lots of living space, albeit with tiny kitchen) and not much falls apart/leaks/gets damp.

Downsides: looks like 8 squillion other houses and I can't indulge my country farmhouse fantasies. Kitchen is small and there was only one bathroom until recently. Hallway is so small I have to stand in living room and crane my neck round to door if greeting more than one person.

Freetobeme Mon 23-Sep-13 12:06:04

We bought a 1960 wimpey house because the area is fab, we put area above our preferred style of house because we had a fixed budget (like most people).

It is detached (good) but has pebble dash on the front (bad). It is definitely not the nicest looking house from the outside but we have big rooms, a great open plan, flowing layout, big windows, a wide light filled hallway and the houses are nicely spaced out from each the with decent sized garden, driveway etc.

The decor was atrocious when we moved in, pink mouldy bathroom, horrible stone fireplace across a whole wall, brown kitchen etc...we are doing it up gradually and although we still have a lot to do we love the house. I am a convert to the 1960s box!

Mefisto Mon 23-Sep-13 12:13:29

YY DisappointedHorse considered mine a period house too!

Mefisto Mon 23-Sep-13 12:19:33

Modern House estate agent forgot link...

Quenelle Mon 23-Sep-13 12:31:58

I would buy a 60s-built house like a shot. Big windows, big gardens, front gardens, right angles. The roads are often wider than Victorian or newbuilds. Some were built with larders. I would love a larder.

Some people think they're not very attractive but I think some look really nice.

TediousFool Mon 23-Sep-13 13:33:29

Some do Quenelle, mine is basically a box with large windows!
One good thing though is I have a corner plot so I have a front garden plus a drive that can fit 4 cars on. grin

I've found newer estates, the houses are outwardly prettier but often try to have windy little roads to make it appear village like. Mix that with tiny little plots and most families having more than one car, trying to drive through the estates after 7pm is a nightmare!

StainlessSteelBegonia Mon 23-Sep-13 13:41:55

Oh gosh, artex. The place we've got an eye on doesn't have any of that, but my goodness the bathrooms are a sight...

I agree with the advice about staying modern/minimal. I've noticed that a lot of 60s buildings are quite Scandinavian-influenced (all those pine ceilings!), so it stands to reason that sticking with mid-century modern is the way to go.

The small kitchen thing is a bit of a bugbear of mine, though. I hate feeling shut away out of sight when I'm cooking. Have any of you enlarged your kitchens successfully?

Yama Mon 23-Sep-13 13:49:23

Our house is early seventies. One previous owner and I would guess that all rooms bar the kitchen were in their original decorative form. We moved in 3 weeks after purchase so had time to redo bathrooms, some electrics and heating. Oh, and skirting boards and doors.

We also stripped the padded wallpaper off and painted.

It transformed the place - really.

I bloody love it.

Pros - size, light, warmth, garden and for us location/views.

Cons - it is bloody ugly from the outside but I don't care.

Yy to modern, minimalist look by the way.

Quenelle Mon 23-Sep-13 13:57:12

If it is ugly from the outside at least you don't have to look at it grin

I live on a new estate and it's a bastard for parking. We are lucky enough to have a big enough drive for 2/3 cars but everyone else has to park at least one car on the road. The roads are so narrow that you feel like you can touch the house opposite. And there are no front gardens, just a flowerbed about two feet deep in most cases.

I grew up in a 60s house and it had an enormous front garden and huge back garden. The kitchen was a good size too, with a larder. The window in the living room was almost the size of the whole wall. I would love a house like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now