would you buy a house when you have only viewed it once?

(47 Posts)
soverylucky Tue 17-Sep-13 19:41:00

We have finally accepted an offer but I think it is a little unusual that the purchaser has only viewed once. It is bothering me because I think that our house needs a bit of work. This imo is reflected in the price but I am just a bit worried that the purchaser is bound to drop out at some point because as they have only viewed it once and I don't think they really got to grips with what needs doing. Does this sound silly?

mirry2 Tue 17-Sep-13 19:45:32

Last time we were property buying and it was a sellers market so houses were being snapped up left right and centre. If we had waited for a second viewing the house would have gone. we lost out on lots of houses.

Don't know if it's the same now

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dollybird Tue 17-Sep-13 19:52:53

We bought our current house 2 years ago and only viewed once. Our previous house we viewed once, and did go back to measure up for curtains etc but that's all. If you know, you know. If something comes up in the survey, the buyer wouldn't necessarily spot it on a second viewing IMO.

Yes, weve just sold to a family who viewed once and bought having only looked once, our buyers said they just fell instantly in love with ours and it felt right, which is exactly how we felt the next viewing the property that weve bought.

Its just a feeling, that its right.

PandaNot Tue 17-Sep-13 19:57:02

Yes we did. It needed a lot of work doing that we didn't necessarily notice but we still would have bought it. It just felt like 'our' house so we went for it.

DENMAN03 Tue 17-Sep-13 20:13:53

I bought my last three houses on a single viewing! I know what I like and want to make an offer if it ticks the boxes.

flowery Tue 17-Sep-13 20:15:18

I think we did do a second viewing of ours but I'd decided as soon as I stepped through the front door...

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 17-Sep-13 20:16:59

Yes, every time.

soverylucky Tue 17-Sep-13 20:59:50

thanks I am feeling a bit calmer now.

WafflyVersatile Tue 17-Sep-13 21:06:05

As counter-intuitive as it seems most people make decisions on massive purchases like houses pretty much immediately and would only pull out after much hand wringing if there something massively wrong with it.

I'll spend half an hour deliberating over two nearly identical things that both cost a fiver then give up and leave the shop but I offered asking price on my flat during the first viewing.

cheryl19843 Tue 17-Sep-13 21:06:45

We bought our house having only viewed once. And we have just bought our next home having only viewed once because we knew straight away we wanted it! First time buyer who has bought ours also only viewed ours once before offering full asking price.

Nonotthatagain Tue 17-Sep-13 21:09:28

I viewed our current house once and dh didn't see it at all until we had put our offer in.

We did for our current house. We went back and measured up a bit a few weeks before moving. We knew we wanted it and going back to look at a few details (e.g. where the sockets are) is a waste of time. If the things you want to check with a second viewing aren't things that would make you pull out of the purchase or change the value of your offer, then why go back?

MrsBungle Tue 17-Sep-13 21:20:15

We bought this house on just one viewing. I didn't walk back into this house until I owned it! I just knew it was right for us.

PrimalLass Tue 17-Sep-13 21:24:19

Yes, we had two weeks to move shock

Still here 4 years later.

We wanted it because it needed work, not in spite of it.

BoysRule Wed 18-Sep-13 20:18:27

We sold our house on one viewing and they paid the asking price.

LadyGoodman Wed 18-Sep-13 20:21:18

Yes Is it strange to? We offered to buy our current house when we'd finished looking round said we'd take it to the existing owner .....estate agent was rubbing hands together had been on the market less than 2 hours blush

plecofjustice Wed 18-Sep-13 20:59:56

We felt we had to. We've just bought in London and we lost out on several places by hanging on for a second viewing. Finally we found a place we really liked and just had to get it without waiting.

MissBetseyTrotwood Wed 18-Sep-13 21:07:01

We did and didn't regret it when we moved here. Offered about 1 hour after viewing. When we sold our flat (same area) two couples looked around within 3 hours of it going on the market and the second lot offered 10k over asking price on the spot. We were shock . It was a seller's market and they had to move fast.

HeyJudith Wed 18-Sep-13 21:10:22

Yes, we did. We had already thought very carefully about location, size, layout, garden etc. We had a good look for any obvious structural red flags on the way round (although we were always planning a full survey). So when we saw the house that ticked all our boxes it was an instant offer, the very same day smile I knew that various things needed doing but the bones of the house were good and the rest was just dodgy DIY and some extremely questionable taste smile

You could see it as that the viewers have done all their homework and know exactly what they are looking for - it works both ways!

Yeah we did too. We wanted a house that needed work doing to it and could see that was reflected in the price.

Lizzylou Wed 18-Sep-13 21:15:11

We just did! Knew from location and size it would be right. Not our style decor but not bothered. We had to wait for funds to come so once we got back from ( a very stressful) holiday, we viewed, offered and had it accepted all in one day.
Few weeks time and we'll be in.

Dh said he'd bought it minute he pulled up on drive for viewing. I already had a month before when I was scoping the place. A few times wink

valiumredhead Wed 18-Sep-13 21:28:36

Yes we did, we had to as another party was interested and there was Bidding Wargrin

We put an offer in after one viewing on the house we're in now maybe because I was pregnant . The people who bought our old house also bought after one viewing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now