Flooring for hallway

(9 Posts)
Daisybell1 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:06:05

We have a period property with a central hallway. The carpet is threadbare so we need to change it. As my partner's a farmer and will have to cross the hall everyday to get to the kitchen, he's suggesting we get something easier to clean than carpet.

What do other people have in their hallways? Would sheet vinyl work? Or would we be better off with tiles? We couldn't afford karndean but we could stretch to a cheaper version!

My concern is if we switch to a hard flooring then we're going to be left with an icy tunnel through the middle of the house. I know that there are flags underneath the carpet but I don't know what condition they're in, and they'd be really icy cold, wouldn't they?

StaticSockMonster Mon 16-Sep-13 19:12:16

When we lifted the carpet in our new house we found beautiful original Minton tiles in the hallway.
They are stunning but I was concerned that they would be cold.
We have a small runner over part of it but they aren't too bad at all.

Daisybell1 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:26:57

They should lovely! I don't think we'll be so lucky - the floor is lumpy which suggests they're old flags.

A runner would be lovely, but OH will have to walk across it to reach the kitchen so I don't know if he'll go for that.

doglover Mon 16-Sep-13 19:57:34

Watching with interest. Our hall - currently waiting to be re-plastered - will need flooring soon. My dh favours carpet but I'm not convinced and am thinking about a good quality vinyl, too.

Daisybell1 Mon 16-Sep-13 22:10:35

Its difficult, isn't it? I'm lucky in that the front door is a nasty upvc that keeps the drafts out. But sometimes it feels like there's a howling gale coming up from underneath some of the floors so on those days it could be bitter.

TooMuchRain Tue 17-Sep-13 09:37:56

I really like tiles - and no drafts will come through them

WildThongsHeartString Tue 17-Sep-13 09:46:48

I have Karndean. Polyflor and Amtico Spacia are much the same but not as expensive. Very hardwearing and definitely not cold underfoot.

Mandy21 Tue 17-Sep-13 14:30:35

We have solid bamboo wooden flooring. Not cold, easy to clean, looks lovely. Tough too. Might be worth a look?

Daisybell1 Tue 17-Sep-13 17:21:41

Thank you. Rain I agree about drafts not coming up through the tiles, its the other rooms which have suspended rotten floors where the gales come up and then come under the doors.

Wild we're considering Polyflor for the new kitchen so something similar could work in the hall, and I agree its not cold to stand on.

Mandy I'll have a look at bamboo thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now