Larger homes - Period vs comfort?

(3 Posts)
deliakate Mon 16-Sep-13 11:23:20

I am beginning to think the two are mutually exclusive. It's so expensive to refit with modern standards, and the solid brick walls rule out cavity insulation.

I read things saying stop up all holes etc, air bricks etc to prevent spiders, mice, drafts - we have parquet flooring and all the pipes and wiring come up higgly piggly, it's impossible.

Not a stealth boast, now the weather is changing, I have got a temperature, and miserable already. I'm looking at much less beautiful homes, constructed since 2000, but dh will never agree to leave our victorian villa sad

I understand! We had a beautiful (little!) Victorian house with lovely brickwork etc. But I couldn't see the lovely brickwork when I was shivering under a blanket because of the draught coming in through the lovely original windows.

We live in a 70s box now. I hate to say it but I am warm and happy.

Rockdoctor Mon 16-Sep-13 11:41:11

Absolutely agree.... I am already dreading the daily haul of wood, making fires, opening all the windows because "the house has to breathe" even if it's sub zero outside.

There's a tiny chance that we'll have to move for DH's work and I'm dreaming of a 70s box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now