Help! Wasp nest!!!

(13 Posts)
scampadoodle Mon 16-Sep-13 10:41:36

After a couple of weeks of constantly finding dead and not-so-dead wasps all over the house, I've finally discovered the motherlode in the loft. Actually it's a storage area under the eaves created when we had the loft converted so our bedroom is right next to it (and DS2's bedroom directly below). It is gross and although I know they will die off soon and they don't return to old nests, there are so many of the buggers flying/crawling around the house I know it's only a matter of time before one of us is stung.

So - who do I get in to get rid? Are Rentokil any good? Can I expect them to take the actual nest away or will they just puff in some powder?

deliakate Mon 16-Sep-13 11:14:35

I just call the council, they send a chap round and he normally gives us a money off voucher for next time - wasps love our house and garden.

scampadoodle Mon 16-Sep-13 11:42:54

Just called the council: usual performance of 'no one here right now but leave a message...' They are useless!

Have also requested quotes from Rentokil & a local company.

hinkyhonk Mon 16-Sep-13 11:57:08

we had a bees nest when we moved in which we had a local guy deal with for £45 (yes i know its really bad to kill bees but it was right above our front door and right next to DS2's bedroom and they were an inch big)

we then had a wasps nest under the roof tiles in the other porch which DH dealt with using powder from b & q for £3 - bargain

scampadoodle Mon 16-Sep-13 12:14:26

The council rang me back & gave me number of company they use, who can do it this afternoon! 50 quid, mind shock

I would do it myself (killed a v small nest in our shed a few years ago with special foam) but I'd need a very long ladder which I don't have. And I'm too nervous to tackle it from inside the loft - not even sure if that would work, so I will have to Pay A Man grin

cavell Mon 16-Sep-13 12:29:26

Rentokill (or whoever) will just use powder - they won't get rid of the actual nest.
If you can't reach the nest to treat it yourself (which is what I normally do), google wasps + your local town and see if there is anyone independent who will do it for less than the council are charging. I paid about £35 last time (South East).

hinkyhonk if they were honey bees, a local beekeeper would have been delighted to help you out.

NaturalBaby Mon 16-Sep-13 14:59:36

We've had 5 wasps nests killed this summer, and 2 hornets nests. I'm dreading next summer. £50 for us as well.

3littlefrogs Mon 16-Sep-13 15:05:44

I looked into this as I have a nest in my loft.

I was advised to put masking tape all round the hatch, light fittings and anywhere else they were coming through. They will all be dead in a couple of weeks, so no point forking out £££ to have the nest destroyed. The queen has already gone and the ones that are left are dying off.

I have done this, and haven't seen any more in the house.

mignonette Mon 16-Sep-13 15:08:18

Please do not do it yourself especially in a confined space.

deliakate Mon 16-Sep-13 16:33:00

Little frog, I was advised not to do that as they suggested they will come back with a vengeance to that spot next yr - ready made home,!

BeastsOnToast Mon 16-Sep-13 22:52:24

Wasps are extremely territorial and will not return to/reuse an old nest. This is the reason why you should kill the wasps but leave the nest as the scent of it will keep off any new / other colonies. This is what our local pest control told me when we had a nest.

scampadoodle Tue 17-Sep-13 11:50:35

Oh that's interesting. I knew about them not returning but not about the old nest being a deterrent in itself. The nest creeps me out a bit (I keep thinking of Alien) but I suppose I'll live with it. It's in the loft anyway. Man returning this afternoon with his Long Ladder...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now