Heating won't turn off!!

(12 Posts)
superlambanana Mon 16-Sep-13 08:39:26

New house. Put the heating on the other day (once DH had opened all the radiator valves), then the weather warmed up so I tried to turn it off.

Thermostat is on 0. Timer (one of those clock dials with the red and blue on-off tags) is switched to 'water only'. Yet still the radiators are coming on full!

What can I do about this? It's flipping boiling in here now!!

Lagoonablue Mon 16-Sep-13 08:41:12

Something gone wrong! Call a heating engineer. Sorry not much help but if the thermostat not working and you have water only switch on, sounds like you need a pro.

Preciousbane Mon 16-Sep-13 08:44:03

I think you will need an engineer unless you can do a shout out for PigletJohn, I think that is the name of the poster on here who seems to know everything about heating and boilers.

LondonNinja Mon 16-Sep-13 08:46:22

Sounds like the diverter valve has gone (if it coincides with the hot water being on).

We had a problem like this - during summer! Argh.

bigTillyMint Mon 16-Sep-13 08:58:15

Is it coming on when the hot water comes on? If so, we have the same problem - engineer came Friday and said it was the 3way valve. Fingers crossed he comes back soon with the part to fix it as the only way of turning the heating down is turning the radiators off!

PigletJohn Mon 16-Sep-13 19:13:03

have you got a room thermostat?

have you got a combi or a hot cylinder? If cylinder, has it got a thermostat strapped to the side?

superlambanana Mon 16-Sep-13 21:50:08

Thanks PigletJohn, was hoping you'd be around!

Standard boiler (not combi so assuming it must be a cylinder boiler!) about ten years old we think. Room thermostat in the hall and it looks like there's one on the cylinder in the airing cupboard too.

LadyCelia Mon 16-Sep-13 22:20:36

We had exactly the same problem earlier in the year with our new boiler (new house as well). Plumber had set the wires up wrongly, meaning that the heating came on whenever the hot water was set to come on. We had to get another plumber back in to re-wire the thing, which didn't take long but was annoying.

BigcatLittlecat Mon 16-Sep-13 22:22:39

Our heating won't come on! Have hot water! But cold radiators! I'm going to have to get someone who knows what they are doing to look at It! Aren't I?

Yonihadtoask Mon 16-Sep-13 22:24:06

We had this just last week.

Nothing we did would turn off the heating, and the water was way over temperature.
It was like a tropical zone in the dining room.

Called out British gas who replaced a part. Upthread someone mentioned a diverter ?

VioletStar Mon 16-Sep-13 22:27:42

OP I feel your pain. My heating won't go off. My building work inc new boiler was finished today but it's clearly not right. Got electrician coming back tmrw to re-check wiring. It's like an oven here and Lord only knows how much in fuel bills! Have you got anyone in yet?

LondonNinja Mon 16-Sep-13 22:47:27

Yep - Yoni - twas me re diverter. All the water ends up super hot - oh, that was fun in 30C. We resorted to having cold showers to avoid the sauna effect if any hot water was run. Terribly hot water - be careful if this is the case, OP, as it was scalding.

Oh, we tried to turn off the radiators, but not all the knobs worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now