Moving to house with no blinds/curtains

(24 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Sun 25-Aug-13 21:55:45

I hate being rushed into decor choice and have yet to decide exactly what I want.
Only really need them at bedrooms because of light.

Should I decide quick or is there a cheap temporary solution?

puffylovett Sun 25-Aug-13 22:07:18

Bath towels wink

specialsubject Sun 25-Aug-13 22:16:19

put up blackout linings. Then you can add the real curtains over the top when you are ready.

or measure up and visit your local charity shops.

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 07:13:47

Thanks for suggestions

Not sure in having curtains at all - will probably have blinds.
I think I may just get some cheap neutral ones until I decide exactly what I want.

LadyKooKoo Mon 26-Aug-13 07:28:53

We had the same problem and had dining cloths at the bedroom windows for five months. Worked a treat!

primallass Mon 26-Aug-13 07:53:11
rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 08:06:42

Brilliant primallass
I will get a few of those smile

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 08:39:26

Actually. Just been looking online

I'm now debating either 'blinds in a box' as seen on Dragons den or just buying blackout lining by the metre, cutting to size and using sticky back Velcro stuck directly to the glass.

Do you think that would work?

we've got a variety of random solutions in each bedroom. a very crap Argos blackout blind in dd's room which will not last, the old back out blinds from our house safety pinned together in a gappy way in our room, and a throw in the spare room.
it is perfectly satisfactory until we decide on colour scheme etc. but does not look good! smile

primallass Mon 26-Aug-13 09:14:54

We used velcro to stick the sides of roller blinds to the windows and it worked well. The gro-anywhere blinds are really the same thing, it is just that they are sellable afterwards.

Ikea have cheap white roller blinds. I wouldn't Velcro as actually costs more than you might think (we've this on te kids rooms). You can buy the ikea ones online (I got white blackout ones 90cm wide for £12 each last year)

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Mon 26-Aug-13 14:44:02

Dunelm Mills do a lovely range of blackout blinds (though the drop safety feature can becoming annoying with tiny yanky toddlers even when it is safer).

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 14:47:24
rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 14:50:02

Or maybe not!

Just realised we won't be able to open the windows hmm

Laquila Mon 26-Aug-13 14:54:02

Wilko do good cheap blackout roller blinds - I'd get a few of those until you decide, and you might even decide you want to keep them beneath curtains, in the end

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 20:12:22

I'm still thinking.
I don't want to be drilling unnecessary holes and need to think carefully about window coverings as the windows open inwards.

Spring loaded curtain rods with blackout linings? You can thread them through no problem. The linings are white so not too intrusive.

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 22:27:19

Possible

DS has suggested black card cut to glass size stuck on with blu-tac grin

I have not dismissed this idea.

rubyrubyruby Mon 26-Aug-13 22:28:35

They are small windows. One side fixed Nd one side opening inwards.

nemno Mon 26-Aug-13 22:32:27

We used black card. we tried blu tac and sticky dots but they did not work. Packing tape did, but was a pain to remove.

RenterNomad Mon 26-Aug-13 22:43:31

I know it can be considered rather bad form to link to one's blog (though MNHQ recently relaxed policy and no longer consider it spamming), but I've just published something on just this question, renternomads.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/sunblock-for-summer-blackout-solutions-for-renter-nomads/here. It's aimed at serial tenants, so the emphasis is on being versatile and economical. Hope it helps, and do ignore the rather random advertising Wordpress has stuck at the bottom (at least on my mobile) - nothing to do with me!

williaminajetfighter Mon 26-Aug-13 22:51:59

White roller blinds from ikea. Cheap and cheerful and a great intermediary.

RenterNomad Mon 26-Aug-13 23:13:57

Oops, having thought about it, all my suggestions were non-screw removable things, whereas you can probably afford to drill holes wherever you want! Sorry! blush

I change my vote to cheapy Ikea/B&Q blackout blind, with maybe an extra blanket/cloth over a tension rod inside that, to deal with the light bleed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now