Please critique my house - be blunt & honest

(90 Posts)
UnexpectedUrgeToMove Thu 22-Aug-13 12:13:43

So ... we were very happy in current house and was intending to stay in it for foreseeable. Then stumbled across a fantastic, ticks-all-boxes project house in another area. End result, we have rushed our house onto the market without much time for prep. The new carpets I'd ordered before all this happened aren't even installed yet (but will be done tomorrow).

So ... our house is on the market but it's been decorated to please us, not to sell. I'm concerned that the lack of prep and our "out there" colour choices are going to put people off. Plus we didn't have time to get a straight-talking friend in prior to the photos being done, and the pics were done in such a rush that in one of them is a stray filing cabinet which looks bonkers (am cringing just thinking about that).

I'm going to ask the agents to re-do that pic at least but please tell me, what else should we do to improve things before the first viewings?

Would really appreciate some feedback!

www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/30162018?search_identifier=14d6eb12dc2dbc56fef5cc4a13048900

Helliecopter Sun 25-Aug-13 17:56:39

Max 7 photos? Change your agent!!!

IcedTeaOneSugar Sat 24-Aug-13 19:34:14

Ponders I was just thinking the same.

redandblacks Sat 24-Aug-13 19:12:02

Agree about the lilac, otherwise fine. I think you should be asking for a bit more for a semi in Twickers though?

Ponders Sat 24-Aug-13 18:56:08

I looked for it & found it but then thought it looked exactly like the bedside table so couldn't be it

confused

beautiful, beautiful house but London prices are so scary - round here you'd get a 4-5 bedroom detached in the best street in town for £500K

Reastie Sat 24-Aug-13 18:28:21

I think it looks lovely and can't find the filing cabinet in any of your pictures (and I looked especially for it!). I agree more photos would be better, especially including the bathroom.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 24-Aug-13 14:29:15

It looks a beautiful house, but definitely need curtains in the bedrooms. Plain and cheap are all it needs. Also, maybe a picture or two on the bedroom walls... It just looks a bit spartan.

I love your kitchen. And the frontage is beautiful!

80sMum Sat 24-Aug-13 11:32:29

Replace the bedspreads with plain white cotton ones and dress them up with some colourful cushions. Put pictures up above the headboards.

TrinityRhino Sat 24-Aug-13 11:16:56

Its gorgeous
no out there colours, beautifully tidy and arranged
I see no stray filing cabinet

I want it grin

cjbk1 Sat 24-Aug-13 11:13:54

*the

cjbk1 Sat 24-Aug-13 11:13:20

wow I'm all over MN today; I love it, it's beautiful looks a bit cold esp ghe blue room because you've tidied it so well but it says "move straight in" to me and I'd love to be in that area too, good luck

lljkk Sat 24-Aug-13 10:08:33

Now that's funny, normally I think MNers are silly critical but for once I am the one who dislikes when others are saying beautiful, okay here goes:

I shouldn't care about your decor because I can change it, yet the lavender+black made me cringe in lounge. I don't even like the wall hangings. On basis that most MNers get very het up about existing decor, I assume that might put some off. The black+white stark kitchen floor is a bit "in your face" for me, too. Since kitchens are hard to change, might put me off if I found another house that was as nice in every other respect. I also don't care for bedroom colours, this comes down to me disliking beige bedspreads & carpets. I'd want to redecorate a lot faster than some houses.

None of that would stop me from viewing & seeing past decor to the potential.

I like the stark bareness around windows and on walls, etc. That shows potential of the place.

House looks quite nice in itself. Fab garden!!

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 24-Aug-13 09:49:11

It all sounds like it will look really FAB when you do the new photos smile

How long have you got to sell it before you lose the other place?

'Kitchen from Howden's with Granite work tops' Out of my budget (tick)

'Brilliant builder to fit it' Out of my budget (tick)

LOL - thought that might be the case! It looks lovely.

LOL at the shed being painted in F&B. I am beginning to think you might just have more money than sense grin I hate to think how much you are planning on spending on the 'New Project' grin

Thanks for the paint colour, I'm going to have a look at it for my kitchen - get a tester and see how it is in the light here. I wanted white/grey/sage throughout, this one might just be the ticket if the light is right.

<rushes out to buy a lottery ticket>

UnexpectedUrgeToMove Sat 24-Aug-13 08:37:13

Chipping - kitchen from Howdens with granite work tops. We had a brilliant builder who did a superb job. Paint in conserv is Homebase brand kitchen & bathroom paint in Sage (the unphotographed bathroom is Sage). It is fantastic paint, super scrubbable. Rest of house is F&B. I even painted the garden shed in F&B which shows how sucked in I am by them.

Thanks for kind comments BTW smile

UnexpectedUrgeToMove Sat 24-Aug-13 08:29:42

Thanks everyone! We are rearranging Bed2 layout today and hanging pictures (DH made a low groan of despair) and fitting curtains in Bed2 and Bed3. Bed 1 has cream roller blinds which I tend to have fully rolled up in the daytime to let in max light (it's a wonderfully sunny room) but that makes the window treatments look invisible in pics. I can leave them 3" down to show a bit of fabric if that's a nicer look.

Dithering a bit about cushions on beds but did go buy crisp white pillowcases yesterday to go with a white quilt cover I've had for 3 years and have never used.

New carpets went down yesterday (ordered prior to decision to move) and the JL carpet fitters spent hours getting it perfect so really happy with the result.

V grateful for advice & guidance - really helps!

I'm going to ask for new pics on Tues, using new flooring/room layout as a reason. Will update when new pics are done. Feel this is v effective way to produce a good result as many similar opinions should reflect buyers feelings.

Great point about the 18' rooms, we are lucky to have that space in this area and take it for granted, I'll suggest this is highlighted too.

QOD Fri 23-Aug-13 21:35:48

Cosy up the bedrooms, please tell us if you don't have curtains in your room grin

I think it's a stealth boast cos its lovely!! The lounge is a bit kind of line up and stare at the TV, but then whose isn't? Also, I agree with someone else that their stupid angled photos make it look smaller.

Angelfootprints Fri 23-Aug-13 21:29:49

Its modern & stylish, but the bedrooms make it look too unfinished.

I would add bedside tables with cosy lamps to the blue bedroom. Add a nice blanket and decorative cushions too.
Also add either a big picture, a selection of smaller picture (as you already have in your front room) or mirror above both beds.

I would also add a vase of flowers of bowl of fruit to the table in conservatory.

Good luck!

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Fri 23-Aug-13 21:23:52

Let us know when the new pics are up smile

I would change agents, yours seems to think they are doing you a favour?!

I wouldn't paint a thing - the colours aren't all to my taste, but it has that lovely clean look where you can visualise it all painted in the colours you like (for me - white/white/grey/white grin).

It sounds like everything else is in hand after 70 posts grin

Can you tell me though - where did you get your kitchen from and what colour paint did you use in your conservatory??

I would be surprised if your house isn't snapped up - it seems like a good price for a nice place in Twickenham.

holidaybug Fri 23-Aug-13 21:22:13

Haven't read the other comments so sorry if repeating. I would:

trim back the bushes at the front - it looks slightly overgrown
some flowers would be nice at the front in a colourful pot
I think the interior is a little cool - it needs a bit of brightening up to me - warmer colours, some textured/fluffy cushions etc.

Ohhho love it! I love the period and the quirky sitting room is amazing. The buyers will be v lucky grin

Shlurpbop Fri 23-Aug-13 21:16:10

I think it looks okay - if anything, i would put more decorative items in the bedrooms as it looks a bit sparse. And a photo of the bathroom is a must. Otherwise, it's Good! ,

Periwinkle007 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:10:07

sorry - just saw you said you are doing curtains.

I think it looks a very nice house, I don't think you have anything to worry about in that sense but they MUST put up more photos.

Periwinkle007 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:08:32

perhaps curtains or something in the bedrooms, they kind of finish it off a bit

Bumblebee78 Fri 23-Aug-13 20:14:49

Your house is beautiful. I love th kandinsky rug! The outside pic is fab. I didnt notice a iling cabinet. All downstairs pics are great. The green ish bedroom is a bit out there but nothing that would put me off. There isnt a pic of the bathroom, and prob could do with. Couple more berroom pics.

Im a rightmove addict so have looked at ons of houses. Yours looks great.

Mandy21 Fri 23-Aug-13 19:55:48

Just one point - an 18' lounge and an 18' main bedroom are big selling points but I don't think the photos of either of those rooms make them look as big as they are (I was very surprised when I clicked on the floorplan and saw that both of those rooms were 18').

I think the angle of the kitchen photo is odd, looks like its looking up (i.e. camera was low down) when photo was taken.

Agree that if you've spent money on the bathroom, get a picture of it up.

Its a lovely house, good luck smile

Alwayscheerful Fri 23-Aug-13 07:27:19

Your house is lovely, not to my taste but very well presented and attractive. I think your agent is the problem not your house.

Brassica is good colour, it's not a cool colour it is a warm purple based colour however it could be off putting and a neutral off white might be better.

Bear in mind that location, kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, you definitely need a picture of the bathroom. Your kitchen and conservatory are very appealing.

The two tone colour scheme in the bedrooms are lacking something, I would suggest folding down the bedspreads to two thirds or half way and showing patterned duvet colours using 3 colours or if you hate patterns add some texture and detail or some lovely pillowcases. You need some pictures over the bed. I think you can get away without repainting but you could redo bed 2 in a lighter shade something like farrow and ball borrowed light.

Get the agents on board because they are letting you down, too few photos and people think you have something to hide, too many and they will not be tempted to view. I don't think your house will take long to sell if it is priced correctly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now