Please critique my house - be blunt & honest

(90 Posts)
UnexpectedUrgeToMove Thu 22-Aug-13 12:13:43

So ... we were very happy in current house and was intending to stay in it for foreseeable. Then stumbled across a fantastic, ticks-all-boxes project house in another area. End result, we have rushed our house onto the market without much time for prep. The new carpets I'd ordered before all this happened aren't even installed yet (but will be done tomorrow).

So ... our house is on the market but it's been decorated to please us, not to sell. I'm concerned that the lack of prep and our "out there" colour choices are going to put people off. Plus we didn't have time to get a straight-talking friend in prior to the photos being done, and the pics were done in such a rush that in one of them is a stray filing cabinet which looks bonkers (am cringing just thinking about that).

I'm going to ask the agents to re-do that pic at least but please tell me, what else should we do to improve things before the first viewings?

Would really appreciate some feedback!

www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/30162018?search_identifier=14d6eb12dc2dbc56fef5cc4a13048900

sparklingstars Thu 22-Aug-13 12:41:32

It looks lovely.
From the pictures:
In picture 5 it's not possible to tell if there is any storage space/space for wardrobes. I assume the chimney breast is in that room,is there more space next to it?
In picture 6 it looks a bit dated but I wouldn't let that put me off.
Why isn't there a picture of the 3rd bedroom? I'd rather see one otherwise I'd tend to wonder what was wrong with it.
Also, a picture of the dining room and entrance into the conservatory would be useful.
Good luck with the open day, I'd come and have a look if I was buying in your area.

chesticles Thu 22-Aug-13 12:41:35

Overall I think it looks great. The bedrooms seem a bit bare and uncosy though, perhaps a picture on the wall above the beds would make them feel a bit more lived in? Curtains would help with the cosy feeling too.

Good luck, hope you get a quick sale

gazzalw Thu 22-Aug-13 12:44:34

Can I buy it? No seriously it's lovely. I like the garden and it looks quite large!

The only thing I would say is that it looks a bit 'empty' - it has a quite clinical look - I do know estate agents seem to be against personal touches and clutter but it looks less like a real family home and a bit more like a set in a TV drama/film.

fuckwittery Thu 22-Aug-13 13:23:52

I would be v cross if my agent was only willing to put 7 photos up of such a lovely house! I bet they have to pay more advertising fees for more than 7 photos, that's why.

AgathaF Thu 22-Aug-13 13:25:45

Your home is lovely - clean and tidy. I agree with other posters that the blue bedroom looks a little dated. If you were considering painting any room, I would paint that one. I think though, that curtains or some roman blinds at the window would help and perhaps a picture or some flowers. Perhaps white or blue/white striped curtains and white bed linen? It looks like there is a piece of furniture in that room that is just out of shot, so maybe taking the picture again to show that extra furniture would help.

The advert definitely needs more images. I don't think it is being marketed effectively if potential viewers can't see more of what they might be viewing. It definitely needs a bathroom image, dining area and third bedroom. The lack of them really makes me think they must be in need of work.

The front garden image is lovely - really homely and appealing.

I wonder if you would be able to get better pictures if you took them yourselves? I often think agents photos are pretty amateurish.

Chubfuddler Thu 22-Aug-13 13:39:18

I would expect a house of that price to have more than 7 photos up too. I've been looking at houses around 200K in my area and they typically have 9-12 photos on rightmove.

Chubfuddler Thu 22-Aug-13 13:39:40

And actually less makes me suspicious the other rooms aren't worth looking at.

TKKW Thu 22-Aug-13 13:39:52

Well done, its very attractive indeed. Sure the cabinets built in around the double bed are a bit dated but we bought our house with hideous built in furniture. Your spaces are cleared of clutter but inviting ad the buyer could envisage their things in the space. Its a stunning home. You lucky thing.

TKKW Thu 22-Aug-13 13:42:13

yes, expect more photos too, a buyer might like to see the dining room from the living room angle.

vestandknickers Thu 22-Aug-13 13:51:17

It is beautiful from the outside but rather dull inside. I must admit I don't think I'd go for a viewing because it all looks rather clinical and the lounge looks a bit like the inside of a battleship! The garden's nice though. Sorry if I sound mean, you did ask! It is impressively clean and tidy though.

I also thought it looked lovely - I liked the outside front as it is and don't think it needs anything done to it.

You wanted honesty so your sitting room is not to my taste - too dark in the photo but may look great in real life. I think selling it would help to paint sitting room walls white.

I am wondering if your agent is any good though. The photos aren't great, some use professional photos with fancy lenses that make all the rooms look massive whereas in your photos the rooms look long and narrow. The lights should have been on in kitchen & sitting room to stop them looking dark. IMHO

Also why not have more pics on the web. you can have lots If you have nice new bathroom it should be on there but needs prof photographer to get good image. And if you have lovely views they should be on there too.

Also - as it is new bathroom why doesn't it say that in the description. Modern bathroom isn't the same as new bathroom.

UnexpectedUrgeToMove Thu 22-Aug-13 14:17:30

This is very helpful to me and I'm grateful for the info! The rooms actually have quite a lot of stuff in them that aren't shown in the pic - sitting room has three bookshelves for example. Bed 2 has a computer desk, two bookcases and a chest of drawers. Bed 1 has a huge wall of wardrobes and a book case and a tall cabinet full of hats and shoes (in neat storage boxes, admittedly). But when I look at the photos, I now realise the agent has angled the camera to avoid showing 'stuff'.

Vest - I pretty much expected more people to say stuff like this, you don't sound mean, I am worried that people won't view! So now please tell me how to make sitting room look less like a battleship? (I'm working on getting the periscope removed but what else ...?)

This just goes to show me that I can't judge these things very well, which is what I suspected. When we bought the house it had HUGE Austrian balloon blinds in very dark colours on every window and I wrenched them down. Clearly I had an over-reaction to the excess of fabric and now our windows are too bare but I didn't realise. Will definitely fix. Same with pictures on walls, we have plenty but didn't want to personalise too much but now realising we are too far in wrong direction.

We have nice woolblend carpet going down tomorrow so I'll ask the agents to come back on Tues and take more pics once that is done. It's helpful for me to know that other people want to see more pics too, when gawping at houses online I feel a bit cheated if there aren't many photos so at least I'm not the only one.

AgathaF - the agent did actually have a very good camera, it was a huge DSLR, and I did try taking photos with my own (which is a small Leica). Alas the clarity and quality of the image is actually better with the agent's camera, so I need to ask them very nicely to return.

UnexpectedUrgeToMove Thu 22-Aug-13 14:25:03

Tara - I agree - the rooms look narrower in pics when compared to real life and the agent turned the lights OFF to take the pics sob

If they've got to upload more pics I'll ask again about improving the wording too, I don't want to irritate the agent, I feel like I've been demanding already, the front photo has already been re-done once. They have a lot of £2M type houses on their books and I wonder if we are a bit small beer for them? (purely supposition on my part).

sparklingstars Thu 22-Aug-13 14:27:10

In the living room I would:
Put some flowers on the furniture next to the sofa. Try and find something to put on the little ledge thing on the floor - was it a hearth before? Also, angle the chair under the window so it faces more into the room, and I'd perhaps move that table off the rug.
You could add some brightly coloured cushions that can go with you to your new houses, maybe add some candles if you like that kind of thing - or a throw over the sofa to brighten it a bit?

Hazelbrowneyes Thu 22-Aug-13 14:30:18

Gorgeous house but the bedrooms need something. A picture on the wall or some bright flowers in a big vase? Maybe some cushions on the beds?

Chubfuddler Thu 22-Aug-13 14:40:00

The agent is working for you. Considering the hefty percentage you'll be paying they should be worried about irritating you.

DancingLady Thu 22-Aug-13 14:49:13

Gorgeous! The bedrooms are a bit old-fashioned - the one with the champagne-coloured quilt was a bit off-putting - but no deal-breakers. Good luck selling, it's lovely!

Karbea Thu 22-Aug-13 15:06:44

I think it looks fine.

But?!?! Don't you have curtains in your bedrooms????

Yonihadtoask Thu 22-Aug-13 15:11:48

It looks lovely.

I would want to see a pic of all 3 bedrooms
Also a pic of bathroom.

Our house is on the market and we have about 16 photos on . So your agent is being awkward.

Do you really not have curtains up in your bedroom??

Is the price competitive for the area?

lalalonglegs Thu 22-Aug-13 15:11:53

It's fine - really neat and reasonably neutral without being clinical or bland. Hope it sells fast.

racingheart Thu 22-Aug-13 15:13:26

I think it looks good and is a fair price for that size, in that area (we live not far away, and houses round TW area aren't cheap.)

My only comment is that it looks a bit clinical. I can't imagine anyone really living in it. The living room is nice with the pictures on the wall, but I'd put the striped chair facing in with the table in front of it, so not all chairs are lined up to face the opposite wall. Put some warm, coloured throws on the beds. Maybe hint that the second bedroom could make a good child's room with a couple of bright prints on the walls. And flowers, glass vases that catch the light etc. Make it look like a good life can be lived there.

On house hunts I've visited houses where cakes had just been baked, or big trugs of freshly picked strawberries left in the kitchen. You can tell it's a trick but it still works. It makes the home look happy and friendly.

mignonette Thu 22-Aug-13 15:16:44

You may get unimaginative people through your door who cannot see past the taste of others. I have never cared how the vendors have decorated especially as most people redecorate whether they like the existing decor or not. Your house has lots of kerb appeal for me and the garden is a really good size. Loads of space to do your own thing too and a bit of character too. I'd probably notice the lack of fireplace in the main room but again that can be sorted out.

Journey Thu 22-Aug-13 15:21:06

House looks lovely from the outside. Inside the sitting room looks a bit too modern for the house though. The contrast took me back a bit. Kitchen is a very personal choice - not my taste at all. The bedrooms are very stark and a bit dated compared to the sitting room so again a bit contrasting. However, it all feels very fresh.

Toomuchtea Thu 22-Aug-13 16:06:12

I really liked your sitting room and kitchen - just my taste. If I look at houses where everything's painted white or cream I always think they've done it to sell, and if that's the case, what might they be hiding? I agree with what everyone else says about dressing it just a little.

As for the agent, work out what you're paying them, plus VAT. You're probably looking at the thick end of £10,000 if not more, and for that you have every right to demand more photos and irritate the hell out of them. You're doing them the favour, not the other way round, and if Twickenham's selling as well as other areas of London appear to be, you're DEFINITELY the one doing them the favour. Get on their case.

AgathaF Thu 22-Aug-13 16:16:59

Don't worry about being demanding of the agent. Their job is to sell your house quickly and for the best price. They need to work to achieve that, and if they do achieve that then they will earn oodles of money from it. Make them work for their cash!

I would say that just because they have a DSLR it doesn't mean that they know how to use the best angles etc to show the house off well. Do you know anyone who is good with a camera who could take some pictures for you?

What's the house you've seen like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now