Can anyone suggest nice areas in Scotland?

(80 Posts)
alittlehoarse Tue 20-Aug-13 14:39:58

Looking to relocate next spring. At the moment all we know is we want to be in Scotland within an hour(ish) of Glasgow and not more than 2(ish) from Oban. Slight ly flexible here but not too much as have to be able to work within Argyle+Bute.

Prefer detached, enclosed or (easily enclosed) garden. Prefer country life, perhaps a village, currently in a small rural hamlet and it is too quiet. Very limited friends nearby etc. Dc enjoy the freedom but are often bored.

Don't mind small if we could extend (esp if detached) as getting right location is the priority. Just really looking for somewhere quiet, safe, friendly folk and things for dc within a short drive. Currently an hour from nearest sports centre sad

Would prefer a smallish primary school to make the transition easier for dc who currently attend a 30 pupil
primary school. More importsntly would like a reputable high school as eldest approaching that age.

Anyone think of anywhere that would fit my perhaps slightly demanding wish list! Oh and obviously somewhere we can afford to live. Budget around 200-230k.

On top of that I'd appreciate anyone who'd be willinv to hold my hand throughout the whole process as for some reason I am completely shitting myself at the thought of uprooting my wee family but feeling it really has to be done sad

Jeez wine for those who got to the end!

wigglybeezer Fri 23-Aug-13 17:28:50

You are making me feel bad about not living in Dunblane! It's where I spent my teen years and it is a great place for kids. I tried to move back there when DS1 was a baby but wasn't able to find a suitable house on our puny budget at the time ( sometimes still wish we had compromised on accomodation ). We live in Dollar, which is lovely but better for teens who go to Dollar academy, not so good for my lot who have to bus half an hour to school.

For what it's worth BofA is a bit flash in places, DH lived there when we met, there are quite a few yummy mummies in big cars and every time a shop changes hands it goes from being a butcher or baker to selling shoes or handbags! It is very nice though and has plenty of down to earth types two, Wallace high is not as middle class as Dunblane though, note I didn't say not as good!

I would be tempted by Kippen or Gargunnock tho, nicer for adults than teens. I was friends with kids from Mclaren high when I was at schhols. Their social life was ruled by the bus timetable.

LanguageTimothy Fri 23-Aug-13 19:27:23

In response to Haggis Dunblane has a new head who has done great things and is doing very well again.

celtiethree Sat 24-Aug-13 22:39:46

Echo what language said the new head of Dunblane has been v positive.

Isabelconaghan Mon 23-Sep-13 15:49:47

Hi Hope you find what you are looking for.

I love Largs Seaside Town and there is some lovely villages around there, Skelmorlie etc. Largs has a good rail link to Glasgow and you are about a 40 min drive.
I am a Scot currently living in Yorkshire for the last 16 years and I have just bought a wee bolt hole, a 1 bedroom flat in Cove about 15 mile from Helensburgh another seaside Town with good links to Glasgow.

I can't wait to get the keys and get started on sorting it out. I feel blessed. not seen inside yet, we bought it pre auction and the views are to die for. (Shangri-La) a little piece of heaven here on earth. If I can help in any way just let me know

kkag Wed 25-Sep-13 23:54:53

B of A was once known as where professional football players stayed, so they were within easy travelling distance of Glasgow - and that said I know some of them and they and their families are lovely, so that's not a bad thing. But there is an element of wealth in the area and some very nice homes. I think it's almost the posh suburb of Stirling. Is that a bad thing ?

I might advise that you think about when your kids are a bit older and looking for more diverse activities - b of a has the country appeal with a great uni and close enough to Stirling with great shopping etc and superb rail links to Glasgow and Edinburgh etc. best of both worlds for me and it would be near the top of my list if I was relocating further north.

In fact there are a lot of lovely villages in the Stirling area.

Apologies if I am restating but I haven't read the whole thread , skipped to last page !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now