so I have found an amazing house

(49 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Tue 20-Aug-13 08:20:34

But its right next to a level crossing, would this be a no no for you

would you view this

could I find out how often the train goes past?

Scone, sorry I know you weren't deadly serious - I didn't mean to come across as shirty about it! And you are dead right, it's fine being here until you have to go somewhere else, but nothing beats coming off the M50, heading towards Ledbury and knowing that you're nearly there.

Agree about Worcester bypass, it's a nightmare at rush hour time.

Frosty, that wasn't what I meant! I love that area and would love to live there again, but it just isn't a goer because it takes such a long time to get anywhere else. sad

I do the drive from Warwickshire to Herefordshire regularly. It is only about 65 miles direct and if I go that way on the a roads it can take 2.25 hours. Go the 93 mile route using the motorways as much as I can and it takes 1.5 hours (and a significant proportion of that is going round the bloody Worcester bypass)

But it is so beautiful, so very bloody beautiful. smile

Ahem - you might think Herefordshire/Powys is the middle of nowhere, but I don't.....I've lived here for 20 years and love it. It's everyone else who lives miles away, not me!

lazydog Wed 21-Aug-13 19:00:43

I'd have no problem with that property if the train line was at the end of its sizeable garden. We live in the middle of nowhere, with a train line running about 400m away from our house (across the other side of a minor road that's at the end of our long driveway.) It's mainly freight trains out here, so very rumbly when they go by, even at that distance!

It looks from the streetview that "your" property is right beside (i.e. only a matter of feet from) the track?! As the UK's motorway network gets more and more congested, I would expect that the trend is likely to be one of moving more goods via the rail network...

Gorgeous house, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge-poll. sad

Retroformica Wed 21-Aug-13 08:12:48

Oddly enough I used to live by a train station and also my friend has a line at the end of her garden. After a short while you kind if forgot it was there

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 20-Aug-13 18:39:52

A quick look online shows that across the road from this house is a haulage firm. I don't know how big it is, but they are bound to have a few lorries turning in.

here

MothershipG Tue 20-Aug-13 17:30:37

Wow! I wish I wanted to move to the middle of nowhere Scone I could get those 12 beds for what my small terrace is worth! wink I just love the 'street' view!

That area is fairly cheap because it is a long way to the motorway network, ditto parts of west Herefordshire/Powys like this one

The house has loads of potential- I would be camping around for a few days to check out freight noise etc...

MrsBucketxx Tue 20-Aug-13 16:55:10

Its not cheap for where it is, as I explained before.

A hamlet can be bought for the same money, check rightmove if you dont believe me.

MadBusLady Tue 20-Aug-13 16:43:45

I had a look at National Rail, I think it's only a train each way every two hours, not two trains per hour. Put "Shrewsbury to Welshpool" and then "Welshpool to Shrewsbury" into the journey planner. But the wiki says upgrades to the line will allow service to double, so potentially a train each way every hour.

My main concern would be the goods trains as a pp says, they are a pain. I'm not sure if you can check those.

silverangel Tue 20-Aug-13 16:33:59

It's so cheap??? Is it normal for that area? I may have to move out of my (more expensive) shoebox....

If it's not normal for that area, I think they may be having problems selling becuase of hte railway.

Floggingmolly Tue 20-Aug-13 16:30:02

It's ridiculously cheap. I'd smell a rat...

magimedi Tue 20-Aug-13 16:26:22

And don't forget that the level crossing may well have a warning bell/alarm as it lowers. If that went on all night...........

MrsBucketxx Tue 20-Aug-13 16:26:17

Looks like ill need to batter my eye lids then.

Ill show this thread too.

Sconset Tue 20-Aug-13 16:21:59

Gosh- that is such a lovely home!

Tiredemma Tue 20-Aug-13 16:16:21

I would jump at it.

Beautiful

turkeyboots Tue 20-Aug-13 16:12:37

Is there a way of checking if freight trains use the line? I once lived v close to a train line and days were fine, but big rumbley freight trains would vibrate me awake at 3am.

MothershipG Tue 20-Aug-13 16:07:18

It's fabulous but has the worst possible energy rating! Maybe with double glazing throughout, loft insulation and internal wall insulation? But I imagine that would all cost a fortune, it is gorgeous though!

OrmirianResurgam Tue 20-Aug-13 16:00:13

Don't thnik it would bother me. it looks lovely

My only word of caution places like that cost a ridiculous amount to run. It's not just the heating (wood burners are your answer there), it's everything else. Old period properties eat money. Read Fay Weldon - she has a wonderful short story! I wish I'd read it before we moved into ours grin

MrsBucketxx Tue 20-Aug-13 11:36:56

Thats why im looking there. Even where I live now you get a postage stamp for loads.

With loads of neighbours ( which I dont want ) ill be happier back in the country.

Periwinkle007 Tue 20-Aug-13 10:38:22

ooh yes Treague - no more airing rack in the dining room, shoes out of the way of the door, wow.

I really want to move now.

(off to look and see what we could buy for the price of our house...)

Treague2 Tue 20-Aug-13 10:31:54

Imagine, no laundry in the bedrooms
No work in the living room
No clothes in the bedroom (I'd have a dressing room)
No shoes in the hall
You could keep all the Lego to one floor <dreams>

Where I live that would cost over a million. Just go for it. Wait in your car for the level crossing to go down and see what sort of a queue there is and how close you are to the house etc etc
Also check the road isn't a rat-run at rush hour

lemontwist Tue 20-Aug-13 10:22:45

Wow Mrs B I so want that hamlet. If I showed that to DH he'd be online job hunting straight away!

Periwinkle007 Tue 20-Aug-13 10:17:06

I think I want to relocate. I have just sat here wondering what on earth I would do with all the bedrooms.

the kids could have the entire second floor with a bedroom each, a study/library of their own and a playroom/lounge area. just imagine not having to have toys stored in the lounge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now