Farrow & Ball or Mylands Colours of London?

(13 Posts)
CustardTheCat84 Fri 16-Aug-13 10:24:44

I'm loving my newly painted house. We used Mylands Colours of London Marble Matt emulsions. So far the little ones and two hyper Jack Russell's have failed to make their mark. I'm loving the colours and super flat matt finish. Odd as it may seem the paint looks dead flat matt but feels smooth to the touch. I'm a Mylands paint convert. Anyone else taken the plunge and ditched their slavish loyalty to F&B?

PainterPete Sun 18-Aug-13 01:18:36

Troubled the odd can of Little Greene and it's ok. Farrow & Ball I'd give a wide berth as I do the mother-in-law! Open a can of F&B and imagine painting your walls with a mean coat of watery skimmed milk? Contrast with a can of Mylands Marble Matt emulsion... you paint your walls with a satisfying guilt ridden rich calorific heavy full fat gentle whipped thick double cream! Tasty. Your decorator will love it, you'll love it and so will your home & purse. Cost saving you makes not having to pay me to slap on five mean coats of F&B skimmed milk makes sense too. I use two coats of Mylands on a job. Just finished a job using Mylands 'Chambers Gate' & 'Ludgate Circus' and one happy customer. F&B was ok some years ago but now your paying for the flash shop, adverts and an expensive can of water/skimmed milk. And it's good enough for the queen and she knows quality....

Selks Sun 18-Aug-13 01:25:55

Is this some kind of weird advertising?

sonu224 Wed 16-Oct-13 12:56:17

Hi, I'd really love your opinion on Farrow and Ball vs Mylands, does Mylands have the chalky finish of F&B, I'm doing the whole house so would like to save money hence Mylands? Would you recommend going with Mylands, I know they colour mach so could do all F&B colours.

CuddyMum Wed 16-Oct-13 15:38:32

Interesting. Why have I never heard of this paint before? Can it be picked up at the usual big sheds?

sonu224 Wed 16-Oct-13 20:44:54

They are open to the trade but you should be able to buy the paint online at Myland.co.uk, they are based in Croydon, they may have a store locator on their website. I've bought sample pots from both Myland and F&B and will decide based on the results.

PainterPete Sun 20-Oct-13 03:21:21

Sonu 224 You'll find Mylands looks super flat but nice & smooth to the touch. Excellent depth and coverage & too. Give 'em a go and you'll be glad you did. Sticky fingered child proof too smile

CustardTheCat84 Mon 21-Oct-13 13:54:05

Hi Sonu224, I buy my paint at Brewer's stores and also order it over the phone from the factory if I've planned ahead. Paint looks chalky but has an attractive smooth finish to touch. More bang for you buck too. It's like thick custard in the can and covered my new plasterboard & old knobbly walls in two coats - even a posh dark red. Hard as nails finish too.

CuddyMum Mon 21-Oct-13 15:59:51

Is this stuff good for bathrooms and kitchens. I don't want a sheen! smile

CustardTheCat84 Mon 21-Oct-13 16:55:33

Hi CuddyMum, I've painted our en-suite & upstairs bathroom and they look great. We've yet to tackle the hideous 1980's kitchen! Mylands people said the Marble Matt emulsion is also suitable for kitchens and bathrooms.

CuddyMum Mon 21-Oct-13 17:28:42

Thank you Custard smile

mafaldajess Tue 06-Jan-15 19:02:00

I have tried Mylands Wedgewood wood and metal matt. It is very very good. The only question I have; and I keep mailing Mylands and dont get a response: I have just had all the walls in my cottage lime plastered and need to know if I can use their marble matt emulsion. Are there any plasticisers in the paint or is it just marble,clay and pigment?

marko1976 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:55:34

Mylands are the best paints in the World ! the Queen is happy with them too ! Farrow and Ball are like watered down cats milk compared to the Double thick, buttery cream consistancy of the Mylands. F&B will need 3 coats to look as good as one coat of mylands ! I kid you not ! ...Colour palette is classic too. F&B = total rubbish quality in my opinion !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now