annie sloan calk paint , anyone used it ?

(356 Posts)
ggirl Sat 10-Aug-13 17:14:27

I bought a bookcase and want to paint it , this stuff you apparently don't need to use a primer.
I used it to pain my fireplace which worked out well .

Anyone used it?

ggirl Mon 28-Oct-13 21:52:05

no not watered down

ggirl Mon 28-Oct-13 21:52:51

well the 2nd and 3rd coat were done with a damp brush ?

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Tue 29-Oct-13 21:07:16

Damp brush is fine.

How odd. Did you turn the tin upside down for at least 30 mins then stir until your arm felt ready to fall off?

ggirl Tue 29-Oct-13 21:12:08

Yes turned upside down and stirred like buggery

skyblue11 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:17:08

chipping remember I mentioned the veneered table with ripples? Well I hacked and sanded then filled in and sanded, looked perfect, So I painted Paris Grey....not that that matters! Looked fine, went back to do a second coat now it looks like more ripples elsewhere have appeared, hoping they subside as it dries, though I doubt it! Thought I'd cracked it!

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Tue 29-Oct-13 21:20:07

sky What a shame/pain in the bum sad It must have been loose all the way through?! Though, AS paint is really 'dry' so I'm surprised.

killpeppa Tue 29-Oct-13 21:21:58

I lovvvve you all!
I have stuff I want to paint and CBA with all the sanding and prep.
I'm away to buy somesmile

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Thu 31-Oct-13 02:35:09

killpeppa grin

But you need to rethink your name Peppa Pig is GOOD!!

Eastwickwitch Thu 31-Oct-13 16:42:45

I've been following you all but have had to wait ages to buy the paint--too mean to pay postage--.
Today I have purchased a tin of grey & some clear wax. I've refused to spend £18 on a paintbrush, even though it was lovely & round. Will any old paintbrush do?

Dilidali Thu 31-Oct-13 18:46:31

Came to join the ranks. Every time I look around my DH follows my gaze with horror: No, you're not painting that too! The fact that I don't even bother argumenting my intentions really scares him.
I've been Sloaned alright.
I have a tin of Pure White and a chest of drawers awaiting. Been tipping it down here, cream carpets (no way I'd dare paint in the house), so I am waiting for a dry window and then just go for it.

Now, my inexistent interior design knowledge and taste only allows me to use white. Any mixing and matching and you've lost me. I don't do distress, I don't do retro, or shabby chic. I like Dutch design.
Got a couple of 'coffins' that are going to see the back of my brush. My only nod towards playing with colours is going to be a splash of colour in handles/knobs. Been scouring the net for weeks in search of 'the' knobs (snigger away, ladies). The ones I like cost more than the furniture and the paint put together.
My question:any of you chalk painted any brass knobs? Does it become distressed with use? Any of you decorated with pen etc? (I'm thinking child bedroom furniture here).

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Thu 31-Oct-13 19:56:59

East - welcome smile It doesn't have to be and AS paint brush, but the type of brush you use will determine what finish you get. A blend of natural & synthetic is good, it needs to have some 'bounce' & the bristles should be a medium length.

Dilidali - hello smile Your poor DH grin <snigger> You need dust sheets!! Ummmm errr.... emmm ummm - coffins? shock

Dilidali Thu 31-Oct-13 21:19:59

Hahahahaaa (hollow laugh)- yes, coffins, also known as furniture we had to inherit, been in the family since, hmmm, 1970? We can't possibly be rid of it, aunt Mabel would turn in her grave. IT LOOKS like one could easily bury something in it. I've got a sentimental DH. And a tin on Annie Sloan. After 15 years my revenge will be sweet.

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Fri 01-Nov-13 10:24:01

grin

<phew>

brew

Go and buy some dust sheets & get painting!!

ggirl Mon 04-Nov-13 14:11:54

So nearly ready to dark wax and I'm a bit terrified. Have seen different ways demonstrated , some using cloth , some using brush then wiipe off with clear wax on a cloth and the easiest one I watched on you tube was applying very lightly with brush then wiping off with fine steel wool.

Right so what do you lot do ?

ggirl Mon 04-Nov-13 16:05:23

I"VE DONE IT !!!!!!!!!
watched numerous you tube videos , then decided to do it the steel wool way.
I mixed dark and clear wax to give me some maneoverability and it worked ...I love it ..will put a pic up as I'm so relieved I haven't botched it up !!

ggirl Mon 04-Nov-13 16:30:56

Buggerations...can't seem to upload the photos from my phone to iphoto cos I seem to have resized them a few days ago to send them in an email , now I can't figure out how ot undo that.

ggirl Mon 04-Nov-13 19:27:40

pic on my profile ....where are you all?

Dilidali Mon 04-Nov-13 20:49:07

Looks really really well!!! Fantastic piece and what transformation!

I painted some of the stuff too this last week. Looks amazing!!! Love it smile

Pannacotta Mon 04-Nov-13 22:27:27

I posted a thread about using AS paint to makeover some light fittings - I have some naff brass ones I want to paint - but didn't get any replies.
Have any of you done this? Would I need to use wax as well as the paint?
Like your work ggirl!

ggirl Mon 04-Nov-13 22:30:11

thanks , I'm not sure about that, chipping (resident expert)is having trouble with posting today , she's reading but unable to post for some reason.
I am tempted to paint a white ceramic lamp base .

ggirl Mon 04-Nov-13 22:31:37

I reckon you'd be better off finishing with polyvine wax varnish if you have to use a wax at all?

Pannacotta Mon 04-Nov-13 23:07:08

Thanks ggirl, lets hope Chipping makes a speedy return, she has given me good advice before on A Sloan.

ggirl Thu 07-Nov-13 20:27:44

anyone have any recommendations for knobs to go on my little chest of drawers on my profile?
I cannot decide !

Dilidali Fri 08-Nov-13 06:39:25

I painted over the old ones smile, it actually looks nice.
If you do want new ones, would emerald green match the room the dresser lives in?
Tk maxx sometimes has quirky knobs, worth a look?

ggirl Fri 08-Nov-13 07:44:51

Yes I may put the old ones back on but one of them is broken. Can't find one to replace it ..although i found one online about 2 weeks ago...But can I find them again !!!angry

Room is light duck egg blue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now