Is there such a thing as...

(19 Posts)
CuddyMum Tue 06-Aug-13 11:04:34

Wooden sash windows with double glazing, that tilt inwards to clean and come with a painted coating that will last for a good few years?

I have been toying with the idea of Rehau Heritage upvc or similar but think that wooden may be best. I am awaiting confirmation from the conservation officer as to what is permitted.

Toomuchtea Tue 06-Aug-13 12:04:19

Conservation officers generally go for wood ime.

I don't know about long life coatings, but do know someone who had this
http://www.slimliteglass.co.uk/

which looks very good, and certainly seems to work.

How's the new house?

CuddyMum Tue 06-Aug-13 20:24:41

Hello there Toomuchtea.

It's lovely. I love living here! Have you found anything?

lalalonglegs Tue 06-Aug-13 20:27:00

Apparently in Scotland all new windows have to be cleanable from the inside (I learnt this off of Grand Designs) so perhaps there is something suitable being made up there? There must be people who want traditional new windows that have to conform to the building regs.

wonkylegs Tue 06-Aug-13 20:49:08

I'm looking at these guys who do a tilt & slide sash window or casement windows that turn but look like sash windows.
They tell you about finishes here it's painted timber needing a recoat about every 5-8 yrs depending on location.
They don't fit themselves but use regional agents, they will make the contact for you.
I've used them on commercial jobs and they were fab, they are coming next week to quote so we'll see how they fair domestically.

CuddyMum Tue 06-Aug-13 21:47:57

Thank you Wonky. Let us know how your quote fairs! smile

Pickle131 Tue 06-Aug-13 23:14:40

Yes, I had them put into my Victorian property and they're beautiful! The paint is a microporous paint that allows the wood to breathe but should never be sanded, just wiped and repainted every 5 years I think it was. They can either be done with cords and weights, the traditional way, or tilt and slide, which looks the same but easy to tilt and clean. I had them done in softwood, slightly cheaper but perfect for the job. The glass was Planitherm, and the windows made a huge difference to heat in the winter. So that's what you need to ask for. If you're nearby, it was Wooden Windows in Andover.

CuddyMum Tue 06-Aug-13 23:38:52

They sound great Pickle. Thank you.

CuddyMum Tue 06-Aug-13 23:42:19

They sound great Pickle. Thank you.

Toomuchtea Wed 07-Aug-13 07:38:56

Hello Cuddy! We have found somewhere, and move on Monday. It's a Victorian house, a semi, in generally good condition though appalling garden-wise: 2 asbestos wartime prefabs and acres of concrete. There's a garden under there somewhere!

I'm glad you like your house. Has everyone settled in?

I am watching this thread with interest as some of our windows will need replacing.

CuddyMum Wed 07-Aug-13 11:40:53

Fantastic Toomuchtea! Everyone has settled very well indeed. My older daughter loves Sharnbrook Upper and says it is so much better than where she was (and she rarely comments). She has made a new set of friends too. My younger daughter starts Sharnbrook in September and is already meeting up with other children who are due to start there. She can't wait as she really wants to do her dance GCSE, which she should be able to do early.

We're having our stained glass fanlight and door panels installed today and I've sent off for the window brochure, although I expect we won't be able to do anything with the windows until at least next year.

All the very best with your move! smile

hinkyhonk Wed 07-Aug-13 15:31:33

our new house has double glazed sash windows which do indeed tilt inwards for cleaning and sound just what you are looking for. i think they were put in around 10 years ago though but seeing as the slovens probably never painted them they seem to be holding up well

will dig out the paperwork connected to them if i can find it tomorrow. they are really well made and so nice if filthy dirty currently

Toomuchtea Thu 08-Aug-13 09:42:56

That's great Cuddy. It looked a fantastic house. Sounds like you've adjusted to living the period house life!

CuddyMum Thu 05-Sep-13 12:10:11

Well, I got a brochure from Allan Brothers - their products look just the ticket and I've sent for a brochure from Box Sash Windows. However, in the meantime, I popped an email to the local conservation officer who is only advising refurbishment and secondary glazing. I hate secondary glazing and the windows have already been refurbished. I've asked her if I need to get planning permission. They can expect the existing windows to last forever and they would look exactly the same from the outside. I do like original features but times are a changing. It's not as if I'm putting in something hideous.

EastwickWitch Thu 05-Sep-13 16:20:18

We've been told by Conservation to use Slenderglaze. Expensive, but worth a look?

CuddyMum Fri 06-Sep-13 16:55:29

Thank you EastwickWitch. Who is installing your windows? I did rather hope we could have the wooden sashes that also tilt in for easy cleaning as we have rather a tall and cobwebby building! smile

EastwickWitch Fri 06-Sep-13 17:10:07

Good question. We're in the middle of quotes for glass only & whole windows. I must warn you they're ££ but if we want DG it's the only option Conservation permit.
On the plus side, I have seen them & they're lovely.
Where are you? We were also given a company in Edinburgh I could look out the name.

EastwickWitch Fri 06-Sep-13 17:14:43

Slimlite is the other approved one.

CuddyMum Fri 06-Sep-13 18:44:10

I have also contacted BoxSash.com who do the Slimlite and have emailed a company who do Slenderglaze too. I'm in Bedfordshire smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now