£1850 to rewire small 3 bed flat- does it sound right?

(8 Posts)
whataboutbob Mon 05-Aug-13 14:40:09

My Dad has a rental flat which is usually let to students. Through neglect it had reached a state where the letting agents were not going to re market. I have power of attorney as Dad is poorly. I had negociated £8000 for a general refurb new bathroom, new loo, re carpeting, re decorating, removing condensation, air extractors. Today I got a call from the builder saying they had discovered the lectrical wiring is totally unsafe, it is not earthed and needs to be re done. He can get it all re wired for £1850. I do not live in the same city and just gave authoridsation over the phone. I know it's not ideal and it woud have been best if I'd taken round an independent electrician for a 2nd opinon, but between kids, job and upcoming hols I just don't have time. Does the price sound OK? Thanks for any input/ opinions.

lalalonglegs Mon 05-Aug-13 15:07:11

I think it sounds a bit low (but I live in London) - I'm assuming cables will chased in, not surface mounted etc? If it needs doing, then it's definitely worth doing while they are doing everything else but I'm slightly surprised that no one thought to check before when all the other work was being assessed.

Sunnyshores Mon 05-Aug-13 15:17:53

I'd check this includes everything (whatever that is! and certificates), as it does seem maybe £500 low. We paid £5k for a 3 bed rental house.

Alwayscheerful Mon 05-Aug-13 15:22:13

The price sounds very reasonable, perhaps the builders have given you a trade price. Sockets are now mounted about thigh hight so you will probably need to make good all the previous holes at skirting level. Check all the cabled will be chased in and check you will have enough sockets.

PolterGoose Mon 05-Aug-13 17:47:40

Seems cheap to me too.

wonkylegs Mon 05-Aug-13 18:18:56

Alwayscheerful socket heights on a rewire as direct replacement do not have to be within the new heights in the Building regs.
These only apply for new build or change of use. Heights are as shown here

Alwayscheerful Mon 05-Aug-13 19:32:22

I stand corrected, sorry wonkylegs our rewire was change of use

whataboutbob Mon 05-Aug-13 19:35:58

Thanks everyone it s good to know the price is not excessive. The remaining question is is this genuine. He's on the council website and Which local so I tend to believe him. Also dad has always been a notorious penny pincher and I can imagine him finding out what the going price was and refusing to pay, and ending uP with a cut price job by a cowboy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now