Neighbours attaching things to my wall

(35 Posts)
mikeb102102 Sun 04-Aug-13 21:14:37

Hi,
We have a detached garage at the end of our garden.
Two of its walls cut into our neighbours garden forming part if the boundary to their land.
They have just screwed trellis to the walls of the garage without notifying us.
Are they allowed to do this??

Potterer Mon 05-Aug-13 21:43:19

So let's pretend I am your neighbour, I get a note telling me to take down the trellis. And I am meant to then discuss what with you?

It is times like these that you pick your battles, you are now realising that there is something worse than trellis on your garage wall; it is called loud music.

For now you will rise above it but will they? What if they decide to do whatever it takes to get a response from you?

Sometimes hindsight is a wonderful thing. You should have a look at the GardenLaw website at their forum. It will show that these things can escalate and go on for years. Hopefully in your case this is over and done with. Maybe before they take down the trellis you could ask what they plan to grow up it.

Yes it is your garage wall, and yes they should have asked, but maybe they genuinely didn't know that they had to.

HoikyPoiky Mon 05-Aug-13 22:22:27

The GardenLaw website makes Mumsnet look very tame. They are a snippy lot on that website grin

HoikyPoiky Mon 05-Aug-13 22:23:53

Sorry, I forgot to add that I would have done the same as the OP. I would have been polite but I would have asked them to remove it.

Coconutty Mon 05-Aug-13 22:27:04

Jesus. I wouldn't have fallen out with them over this. I hope they don't play really loud music for years now to poss you off.

I would have thought more of you if you knocked on the door rather than putting a note through tbh.

Ponders Mon 05-Aug-13 22:36:44

if they're anything like me, whatever they attempt to grow up the trellis will just die anyway...

This sound like the same issue we have. The side of next door's garage forms part or our boundry and the bottom of our garden, so the view from my kitchen is a brick wall. It is some 40 feet away but unattractive all the same.
We put up four fence posts set into our garden with 3 trellis panels in front of it. It sits about 3 inches away from the garage wall.
We were unsure what to do when we moved in and as we are in a new build and no one knew each other we played it safe.
Since then we have become good friends with our neighbours but I can imagine if we had just attached trellis to their garage they would have been mightly pissed. However if they had had a problem I would have hoped they could have just knocked the door as a not would have pissed me off even more.
All in all how much damage is the trellis actually doing ?

HoikyPoiky Tue 06-Aug-13 16:12:09

You sound like a considerate neighbour HaveToWearHeels

EasterHoliday Tue 06-Aug-13 16:15:18

the only thing that needs discussing is what they plan to grow up the trellis in case it's somethign with sucker roots that might damage the integrity of your brickwork, or if it's something that grows very woody (like clematis) which might damage any guttering.

Hoikey I treat people as I would wish to be treated. If it were my garage I would be pissed if they had attached something without asking me. We plan to be in this house a long so pissing off the neighbours is not top of my list, I like a quite life too much !

HoikyPoiky Tue 06-Aug-13 17:03:14

Exactly, its just about being considerate and polite. Its not difficult.

5 out of my 6 (yes 6! sad ) nieghbours are nice and considerate. One is a bit of a Victor Meldrew but its not too bad as he backs on to the very end of the garden so we can mostly ignore him... Apart from when he spray painted 'his' side of my fence and splattered a lot of dark grey paint on my shed, greenhouse and new sandstone patio. angry angry

Still five nice nieghbours out of six isn't bad going grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now