Neighbours attaching things to my wall

(44 Posts)
mikeb102102 Sun 04-Aug-13 21:14:37

Hi,
We have a detached garage at the end of our garden.
Two of its walls cut into our neighbours garden forming part if the boundary to their land.
They have just screwed trellis to the walls of the garage without notifying us.
Are they allowed to do this??

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Aug-13 21:21:24

No.

But is it really harming you? I'd be pissed off they hadn't asked but I'd let it go. Unless they were wankers, then I'd go postal!

I cannot imagine having a view on this.

except wanting to see if it is something nice they are growing.

do you hate your neighbours?

mystaplerisevil Sun 04-Aug-13 22:15:45

it's better than looking at your wall no>?

I wouldn't do it myself without asking first and I think I'd be a bit mad if someone else did it to mine. But if I liked my neighbours I wouldn't say anything.

Ponders Sun 04-Aug-13 22:18:40

Without seeing a ground plan, no idea. But nice trellis prettier than bare walls, surely? & it can't do any damage¿

IrisWildthyme Sun 04-Aug-13 22:19:28

Getting het up about such a thing is really petty. Unless they put something up which threatens the structural integrity of the wall, find something that matters to fret about.

Ponders Sun 04-Aug-13 22:20:20

Good lord, where did that Spanish upside-down ? come from???

(Baffled by iPad confused)

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 04-Aug-13 22:21:57

Well the side of our garage is completely inaccessible as it forms part of our neighbours boundary and has thick hedging and fencing to both ends. I've never even seen it, I have no idea if anything's attached to it. The only way I could access it would be through my neighbours garden.

I assume it is a party wall-type thing and she can do what she likes with it. I don't think she's going to come through the wall.

newbiefrugalgal Sun 04-Aug-13 22:22:40

Will plants ruin the brickwork?

SwedishHouseMat Sun 04-Aug-13 22:24:44

If they have screwed the trellis into your garage walls, they have committed criminal damage. You can ask them to remove the trellis and make good the damage.

SwedishHouseMat Sun 04-Aug-13 22:28:42

I would also check your deeds to confirm your boundaries. If your garage is inaccessible from your property, how are supposed to maintain it? Are you sure that there isn't a path at the back of your garage that your neighbour may have incorporated into their garden?

missimperfect Sun 04-Aug-13 22:30:14

If you really think it is causing damage or something then by all means have a go at them. But otherwise you might want to speak to them along the lines of "I see you are doing this - what are your plans as this wall belongs to me" and then reach some agreement.

If you just "let it go" completely they might feel they can do more and more so it would probably be best to just say - "well that is fine this time round but in future any more changes need to be agreed with me first". And follow it up in writing "to avoid any misunderstanding, we agreed that.....".

Ponders Sun 04-Aug-13 22:30:55

Criminal damage????

Your garage not accessible from your property???

What???

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 04-Aug-13 22:32:45

unless its a shared party wall they cannot do it.

To those saying that it can't do any damage, that would depend on the construction of the garage itself.

SwedishHouseMat Sun 04-Aug-13 22:33:42

If someone drills or screws into your property without your permission, it's criminal damage. If you can't access the back or side of your garage, how do maintain the brick work, paint etc?

beachyhead Sun 04-Aug-13 22:37:15

If it is on the boundary and partially on their side, it's probably a party wall so they have shared use of that wall, so not sure you can argue with it.

steppemum Sun 04-Aug-13 22:38:34

gosh this is interesting
So if part of the wall forming the boundary around my garden, facing into my garden is actually the back wall of a garage/shed/house, I am not allowed to touch it?

I would have assumed that as it is effectively in my garden I could paint it, attach plants to it, etc, as long as I didn't damage it.

There is a fence between neighbours and us, we have plants attached to it and so do they (was like that when we moved in)

and they have a shed that forms part of boundary at the bottom, and there is a gutter on our side feeding into a rain barrel on our side (there when we arrived)

so all of that is illegal?

I am sure that most people wouldn't think twice about attaching a trellis to the wall in their garden, not thinking that it isn't 'their' wall.

SwedishHouseMat Sun 04-Aug-13 22:46:38

If it's your fence that you put up, then you can do what you like with it. If the end of your garden has a fence or wall that you didn't put up, it's not your property so you can't touch it without the owners permission. As I'm sure you have read on here and in the Daily Fail, the case of the neighbour who painted her side of a fence white. She has been charged with criminal damage because it wasn't her fence to paint!

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 04-Aug-13 22:48:22

steppemum
"So if part of the wall forming the boundary around my garden, facing into my garden is actually the back wall of a garage/shed/house, I am not allowed to touch it?"

From memory.

If its a party or shared wall then you can do pretty much what you like as its shared.

If it forms part of a boundary, that is your neighbours responsibility or on their land then you shouldn't be hanging anything from it without permission.

As an example of the second type a friend built a garage in-between his house and his neighbours, the neighbours decided to use the wall as the supporting wall for a lean to/car port. My friend was able to tell them to remove and repair the damage they had done as the wall was not their property.

steppemum Sun 04-Aug-13 23:00:33

I can understand the structural stuff - car port etc, but I am really surprised at the plant trellis.
As I said, in our garden it is as it was when we arrived, and I am not actually sure who the fence belongs to. (with its plants on both sides)

I think it just wouldn't occur to me that I couldn't stick a trellis on a wall/fence in my own garden.

Fortunately the other two sides are walls and they are ours, so I can stick up what I like

(just trying to imagine blank walls that I can't cover in plants and how bleak that would be)

HoikyPoiky Mon 05-Aug-13 00:19:44

I would not want nieghbours to do this either and I would politely ask them to remove it. You don't know what they may grow up the trellis and while the brickwork may be ok plants growing into the roofspace may cause damage.
They can put up free standing posts and trellis within their own garden if they wish to screen your garage.

Everyone should make themselves aware of what fences or walls belong to them and whether any are party walls and if you want to do something to your nieghbours property you need to ask them.

Sunnyshores Mon 05-Aug-13 11:09:28

a bit annoying, but really life's too short.....

LookWhoTalking Mon 05-Aug-13 16:06:20

You think that's bad - my MIL's neighbours fixed their sky dish to the front of MIL's house ! It's a semi - and it's so deffo on the wrong side - by about 2ft - now he's not a nice neighbour -but then I can't stand her so I'm not going to step in !! Lol !!

mikeb102102 Mon 05-Aug-13 21:16:08

Thanks for the replies.
To answer a few of the comments left:

It is not a party wall, the only party wall is the fence between our gardens.
The garage wall is a boundary.

If they had come to us to ask about putting it up we would have simply voiced our concerns about potential damp and the possibility of plants growing up into the roof space.
The fact the did not consult us and did it when they knew we were out has peeved us somewhat.

As they disappear for 2/3 days at a time we decided to just post a polite note asking that they take it down and if they wished to discuss it we were more than happy.

The man came round and stood there twitching and getting bullish about it. He then left and then decided to put music on as loud as possible (in 20 months living here we have never heard music from their house!!).

He also informed us that he building a wall around their front garden in the next week...........

I will of course rise above it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now