Magnolia Paint - Bland but ok??

(41 Posts)
doglover Sun 04-Aug-13 20:08:24

I've posted a few things recently about decorating and would appreciate some honest opinions .............. I know I'll get them from you lot!!

We're undertaking a MASSIVE renovation project and are on a very tight budget. I will be doing the decorating to help keep costs down but have been totally shocked at the cost of paint shock . Having spent some time looking at websites etc, I really feel that it would be most cost-effective if the majority of the house was painted in magnolia silk emulsion and then enlivened with accent colours, soft furnishings and artwork.

What do you think?

ILikeBirds Sun 04-Aug-13 21:53:20

Our whole house is painted ivory. Off white without looking grubby and without the yellow of magnolia.

doglover Sun 04-Aug-13 21:56:49

I'll look at the colours. I really dislike all the greys, too.

ILikeBirds Sun 04-Aug-13 22:02:40

Oh, and ours is just wickes trade paint. Easy on the budget smile

Itscoldouthere Sun 04-Aug-13 22:03:04

The problem with magnolia is it has an orange hue so doesn't go with everything.

VegemiteSandwich Sun 04-Aug-13 22:08:50

I have a friend who doesn't need to carry around her F and B chart ... she knows it off by heart!

I love fabrics. Curtains, cushions, sofas, rugs ... if you like these sorts of things you (IMO) need a fairly bland backdrop.

We've just about finished renovating a period property and I have to admit that I've enjoyed and am pleased with the outcome of choosing colour for the wall. But if I were in your position I'd paint the lot all one colour too.

Magnolia is a bit "meh" I think. Our kitchen and bathroom are both Jasmine White (dulux) and I think that's quite a bright cheery white. We bought the retail version in kitchen, bathroom and woodwork. Through the rest of the house we've used Ochre White (also dulux, but maybe only on the trade mixing counters) on all the woodwork. I really like it but it might be a bit drab in a non-period property. Our bedroom is Chiffon Yellow (dulux retail mixing counter) which is apparently very similar to F and B House White.

We're about to move into another bloody renovation project an exciting new venture and I think we'll probably do my son's bedroom again in the same greeny colour, and the rest of the house Jasmine White.

doglover Sun 04-Aug-13 22:14:02

Thanks for your advice, VS.

TheSlug Sun 04-Aug-13 22:42:30

We did our whole house, apart from the bathroom, in magnolia, including ceilings and woodwork (satinwood) we used wickes trade paint, it's great for the money. We have different colour furnishings in every room picked out in the bedding/ curtains and accessories. I'm really pleased with it!

doglover Sun 04-Aug-13 22:44:14

Good to hear, TS. smile

Jellylorum Mon 05-Aug-13 17:21:41

I was going to suggest Dulux Timeless too! Paler than magnolia but not as harsh as white.

doglover Mon 05-Aug-13 17:34:14

I had a look at the Dulux Endurance paints online - could be good. Will check out the Dulux Timeless, too. smile

teacherwith2kids Mon 05-Aug-13 17:34:57

Don't know if they do it in Trade versions, but we have done up 3 houses over the last 10 years and have gone for the 'Jasmine / Almond / Apple White' Dulux route. Similar in 'depth of tone' but varied in colour, not shouty, leaves lots of scope for colour (we're rugs-and-curtains people). Used to use Dulux white silk on all woodwork but have converted to F&B Estate Eggshell [in Wimborne White] because it is a million times easier to paint on. We do all our own decorating, and when on a mission to paint 12 doors (as we were one memorable Easter weekend), easy to paint on was a priority.

noddyholder Mon 05-Aug-13 17:36:37

Just no. Magnolia is an amateur developers colour and you will get low offers as people see it and think this has been done up to sell. Choose the decor wisely and make it a home not a neutral box. Or do it all white and use art and furniture to give it style

I wouldn't. I'd do, what we are actually doing, which is a much more slow renovation with colours we actually want and can live with. this means we will have a couple of years of wallpaper literally hanging off in some rooms but we are in it for the long haul so it will be worth it.

CointreauVersial Mon 05-Aug-13 18:55:37

We painted the whole house (ceilings and all) in Crown Milk White.

Not as harsh as brilliant white, but not as yellow/grubby looking as magnolia.

emark Mon 05-Aug-13 18:57:28

in process of decorating ourselves, 3 floor 4 bed house.
it had coloured bedrooms with white stairs landing kitchen etc.
it was very stark almost clinical, got very grubby quickly and not easy to clean as new plaster.
we have now gone for magnolia on all walls with white ceilings and white in bathroom kitchen areas and white woodwork .
it looks much fresher and warmersmile
we used johnstones trade paint, an acrylic based emulation that is most definitely passable and scrubbable! toddler tested within 2 days of paintinggrin

Alwayscheerful Mon 05-Aug-13 19:54:39

A slightly softer white would be good if you can run to the extra cost for the walls & ceilings however dulux trade white will give you the best look for the cheapest price- (probably half the price).

Trade Dulux white teamed with Farrow & ball's wimbourne woodwork will NOT look unfinished it looks superb.

I second Noddy's comment about Magnolia being an amateur developers colour, Magnolia is NOT neutral it does not go with everything it is orange based and has a peach 80's look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now