Please help me write a shopping list for decorating items

(20 Posts)
ComtesseDeFrouFrou Mon 05-Aug-13 20:56:06

Those funnel things for cleaning roller sleeves are brilliant - make it much easier.

doglover Mon 05-Aug-13 20:52:44

It's exciting, isn't it! I only managed to do the ceiling today - busy with dd's stuff - but hope to do the first mist coat tomorrow.

I need to crack on and get a carpet organised. I'll put it on the list for tomorrow!

BOF Mon 05-Aug-13 20:29:04

Good for you! I finished my bedroom decorating late last night and took the old carpet up today ready for a new one tomorrow. New bed coming on Friday-can't wait!

doglover Sun 04-Aug-13 17:30:50

Thanks to you lovely lot, I went to B&Q and purchased everything necessary to start dd's room. All sanding prep has been done ready to do ceiling tomorrow.

Feeling very excited and motivated smile

primallass Sun 04-Aug-13 11:05:15

Get the Dulux Endurance. It is worth extra money as it is easier to clean marks off.

primallass Sun 04-Aug-13 11:02:10

The blue Harris brushes are good, and are often on special offer in Asda.

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 21:58:13

Thanks, bof

BOF Sat 03-Aug-13 21:44:33

Thanks chickensalad- I will try it out. I'm decorating our bedroom tonight, so it's good to know!

Doglover, yes, matte is harder to clean.

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 21:42:06

Also, slightly off-subject, as I'm painting my teenage dd bedroom, would I be sensible to use a non-matt emulsion paint for the walls (after mist coat)? Would it be easier to wipe clean of grubby marks and finger prints?

chickensaladagain Sat 03-Aug-13 21:41:04

Bof, the ridges work just fine and if you don't clean the tray any little bits can cause lumps when you use it next time

The best thing to clean rollers with is cheap shampoo, but you can get a tool for cleaning them, looks a bit like a funnel

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 21:38:37

Right, a small gloss roller and water-based satinwood smile

BOF Sat 03-Aug-13 21:32:40

Oh, and I'd recommend water based satinwood in place of gloss- it dries far faster, and you can wash your brushes in water.

BOF Sat 03-Aug-13 21:31:16

I suppose you don't get the advantage of the ridges etc in the tray if you line it though. And you don't really have to clean the tray- just use up the paint.

If anybody can suggest a shortcut for cleaning rollers though, I'm all ears! I tend to buy cheap and chuck.

Are you glossing too? If so you need a small gloss roller too...brilliant, no brush marks!

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 21:13:25

Inspired thinking, CSA! Love your ideas! smile

chickensaladagain Sat 03-Aug-13 21:12:07

Depending on your top coat & undercoat you may need either white spirit or paint brush cleaner

Have you got plenty of carrier bags?

If you put the paint tray inside the bag and then pour the paint in the tray, you don't have to wash it, you just bin the bag

Also get a spare roller sleeve -they take an age to dry!

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 21:06:55

bump

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 19:23:57

Added to list. Many thanks smile

SunnyUpNorth Sat 03-Aug-13 19:19:44

Get decent brushes, there is nothing more annoying than having to constantly pick the bristles out of your paintwork that shed from the cheap brushes. Plus it is easier to get a good finish with nice brushes.

Also dust sheets. Masking tape for the edges.

doglover Sat 03-Aug-13 18:55:05

Following on from my thread yesterday about the right order to tackle decorating a room, I'd now appreciate your help in putting together a shopping list for my visit to B&Q tomorrow!

emulsion paint tray
brush selection (any recommendations?)
emulsion roller
sandpaper
undercoat paint
top coat
emulsion (to dilute with water for mist-coat)
emulsion for ceiling
emulsion for walls

What have I forgotten?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now