Downsizing parents

(28 Posts)
harbinger Thu 01-Aug-13 22:27:15

The logistic are going to be a problem. I can deal with the 'destination' end and the storage (I think).
How do I deal with an empty house?

Aethelfleda Tue 06-Aug-13 08:30:37

Honestly Harbinger, we viewed loads of places last year when on the market, a "token bed and nothing else" will eg show how much space is available around the bed (very hard to judge this with an empty room), so if it's currently furnished and the furniture isn't needed elsewhere then it's better to retain a minimal set of stuff.
If I were doing this, the bedroom would retain:
A bed, a bedside table or two, lamp on one bedside table, clock radio on the other, wardrobe and chest of drawers, one ornament or mirror or cloth on top of the drawers, clear windowsill, curtains kept up, and possibly a chair.
The lounge would retain sofa, telly or radio, chair, fireguard (if you have a fire), coffee table, clock and few ornaments if there's a mantelpiece, keep a mirror up and a few pictures if you have them (but remove family photos as apparently they stop people visualising properly!)
Kitchen, keep kitchen table (to prove it fits in), kettle, mugs, stack of plates/crocks and few cooking things in cupboards.
I' also keep in a toaster/microwave if they have one. Aim to show it's a well functioning space for cooking.
Bathroom: take away any mobile mobility aids unless parnts still living there: commode seats are not a selling point! Otherwise clean and minimalist.

Garden: if they have any simple furniture keep it, otherwise just neaten it up and clear the vista so buyers can actually see what they are buying.

Hope that helps? People really are slow to project themselves onto a truly empty room, it's v hard to judge furniture sizes (which is why new build houses often have slimline furniture in the show home!)

RustyBear Tue 06-Aug-13 09:06:28

With Dad's bungalow, we did take everything out, but then we knew that whoever bought it would be completely renovating it anyway - the kitchen and bathroom were still the originals from when the bungalow was built in 1969 - my parents were the original owners - and it needed new windows and radiators too. It also had built in wardrobes and bookshelves my Dad had put in which, like most of my Dad's DIY, were very strong and functional but not particularly attractive! We took up the 40-year old carpets too and the place looked much better without them.

harbinger Fri 09-Aug-13 21:02:28

I think that it has to be all out sad.

Would leaving token furniture in the house off set another removal lorry? in terms of price.

Or,token furniture to goodwill, after exchange?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now