Moving to Dorset...Wimborne or Blandford...or somewhere else???

(19 Posts)
theWookiesWife Mon 05-Aug-13 19:37:57

tee hee !! no one can accuse me of having an accent !! lol !!

Incapinka Mon 05-Aug-13 19:26:52

Didn't work! Not don't work!!! The dorset accent is coming through in my typing!

Incapinka Mon 05-Aug-13 19:26:06

Your secret is still safe as the link don't work although you did sound like you were describing me until you got to the cigars part!

Sunnyshores Mon 05-Aug-13 11:06:36

Another vote for Wimborne for many reasons

theWookiesWife Mon 05-Aug-13 09:26:33

Oh no - you have sussed me - I'm that mad woman from down the road !! The one with wild unkept hair who grunts not speaks !! Lol !!! Who's far too tall and smokes cigars !! Lol !!!
Not really ! Well almost not really - the not speaking bit is true ! But I can't help that !! Hope it will come back soon - but if you were to listen into my speech therapy sessions then you really would think I was some kind of wookie !!!
Here's a link to help you figure out where I am !
http://www.houzz.com/pro/oneplan/oneplan

Incapinka Sun 04-Aug-13 22:11:12

I'm intrigued where the wookies wife lives!

Zippyette Fri 02-Aug-13 19:26:59

Thanks for all your messages, they have been very useful! I grew up on the edge of Dartmoor so already have the wellies! It's been a while though and I've never lived in a village!
Does anyone have recommendations for groups and activities to do with the LO?
Thanks

theWookiesWife Thu 01-Aug-13 15:50:54

hi ! I'm in a tiny village between Dorchester and Blandford... you do get more home for your money in the villages - but they can be extremely quiet - so if you would find this quite isolating with a little one - you may be better off in a town . You deffo need a car of your own - and wellies !!!! all routes to anywhere get pretty crowded in the summer - so this can make travelling longer distances a bit of a pain - so check your husbands route before you sign a contract - make sure he has several options to avoid the chaos ! but its a beautiful county to live in ! I've been here 16years ! hope you too will be happy here !!!!! :-)

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 01-Aug-13 13:43:48

You will find lots of other ex-Londoners in Wimborne and surrounding areas. It's made up half of people who all went to school together and the other half who have moved down. The ones who have been here forever are very welcoming so you shouldn't have a problem fitting in.

eurochick Thu 01-Aug-13 13:30:58

I don't live there but do visit as BIL/SIL live in Blanford (no choice as they are on the army base there). I'd say there is more to Wimbourne, so it might make the transition from London life a bit easier.

middleagedspread Thu 01-Aug-13 13:30:40

Child Oakeford is lovely, but you would need to drive.

Incapinka Thu 01-Aug-13 13:27:44

If you want to live in a town then I would say Wimborne. If you are happy in a village then there are some lovely villages between Wimborne and blandford and surrounding blandford. I drive pretty much everywhere as live in a village and there isn't much public transport. Another town to maybe consider would be Dorchester?

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 01-Aug-13 13:24:52

Wimborne but yes you will need a car - not necessarily for getting to the shops if you're hapoy to do your shopping in Wimborne or for the toddler groups , doctor etc but for getting to friends houses generally and if you want to go further afield.

One of the MNetters who you probably saw on the old threads did move to Blandford for a bit but didn't stay for long.

middleagedspread Thu 01-Aug-13 09:31:39

I'm not mad keen on Blandford.
Wimborne, Sherborne, Shaftesbury & surrounding villages are lovely.

Periwinkle007 Wed 31-Jul-13 22:04:37

I am in Bournemouth. I would probably say Wimborne to be honest from what friends living in those areas say.

And yes you would need to drive. Public transport is a lot better then it used to be around here but still not great!

PoppyWearer Wed 31-Jul-13 21:50:40

Personally if go for Wimborne over Blandford, for ease of transport connections.

I'm in Dorset, not in Wimborne or Blandford but I prefer Wimborne.

I definitely agree about the community in Wimborne and I think location wise it is probably a bit better.

Zippyette Wed 31-Jul-13 21:46:04

Hey all

I think some mums posted a few years ago about this area but it would be good to hear your views now!

I am moving down to the area end of September and am stuck as to whether to focus on looking in Blandford or Wimborne for a place to rent. We are moving from SW London so it's going to be an adventure! I'm so used to walking everywhere...I guess most people drive...so I assume we'll need to get a second car? Do most mums drive to groups/coffee mornings?

My husband will be working in both Wimborne and Yeovil and I am thinking when I look for work in the new year (LO only 6 months) it will probably be in Poole/Bournemouth, so we need somewhere that is quite convenient for those areas, hence the two suggested.

It's really hard to pick between the two, I think we will get more for our money in Blandford but like the community feel of Wimborne...but those of you that live in Blandford may have something to say about that!!! wink Waiting to hear from you with your suggestions/thoughts!
Thanks
Lisa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now