What about Whitton?

(13 Posts)
Nyborg Mon 29-Jul-13 21:19:08

We're looking at small houses in Twickenham and St Margarets and getting grumpy. When we viewed bigger houses in Isleworth, there was a funny sewery smell (maybe from the water place near Tesco?), and now we're wondering if we should look at Whitton to get a bit more space for our money. Anything we should know?

Hobbes8 Tue 30-Jul-13 07:21:29

Whitton's lovely, but some bits are just as close to the sewage plant as Isleworth, so be careful where you look. Hampton is also very nice, and nearer the river, so that might be worth a look.

littlemrssleepy Tue 30-Jul-13 07:26:34

We used to live in whitton and really liked it. Obviously much smaller but so close up twickenham and Richmond it makes no difference. Def more for your money. Agree be careful about the sewage works (next to tesco). We were by Murray park and had no smell issues!

prayerbook Tue 30-Jul-13 07:34:15

I had my first flat in Whitton. Just Whitton and almost Hounslow but it was a fab Victorian flat which I couldn't have afforded anywhere else. 2 mins walk to mainline station into Waterloo. No smell from Mogden, and just outside the Rugby ground parking restrictions.
Worth checking what happens on rugby days though re access and parking. Also no idea about schools.

JetJungle Tue 30-Jul-13 14:05:18

I live in Twickenham but get the train from Whitton to Waterloo every day. A very easy (although hellishly busy) commute. Whitton high street is okay. I don’t uses it much, but the traders there are really fighting to improve it while retaining its independent nature.

Things to consider:
* Plane noise, but that is standard in West London.
* There is some disruption on rugby days. It’s not intolerable. We've got used to it.
* Parts do get 'the pong' - avoid the area near Tescos.
* Also check secondary schools. Twickenham Academy is ..... not great.

Have you looked at houses in what the Estate Agents refer to as ‘the counties’ in Twickers? Not badly priced 3-bed 1930s houses. They are better placed for a selection of schools in the area. Near some really lovely parks too.

Angie1904 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:55:45

Hi there. We are about to move to whitton (to get more for your money! We are desperate for space!). But how is it living in Whitton? Is it safe, do you enjoy it? And how bad is the plane noise? I live in SW london, so I know you can't escape it but then whitton does seem to be so close to heathrow, is it worse than what it is in Richmond? Many thanks!

way2soleil Sat 01-Mar-14 03:03:11

Hi Angie, I live just on the other side of A316 and go to Whitton for daily shopping/ train commute. It's a very safe, quiet, and leafy area with a friendly community feel. Don't hear the planes that much, it seems the flight path changes every week to give the residents a rest, but the noise is not bad at all. Beautiful Crane Park with lovely Crane River flowing through. Whilst enjoying Whitton's amenities, I also savour the proximity of Twickenham/ Teddington and Richmondsmile

Angie1904 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:20:34

Hi waytosoleil,

Thanks for your reply, that's very reassuring!

How old are your children? Do you have any experience with local secondary school? I am interested since I will be applying soon (well kind of, my eldest is in y4).

Thanks again! :-)

nottheparrot Tue 04-Mar-14 20:40:18

I agree with everything that waytosoleil says! I think she/he must live very near me!

H2OWoe Tue 04-Mar-14 22:39:36

Nyborg, Whitton is the best value for money in the the TW2 postcode. There is a lot more aircraft noise than south of the A316 though. Personally I think the Counties bit of that south of 316 area is greatly over rated though - the properties are extremely narrow with tiny gardens. Look closer to Squires garden centre if you can - similar space to Whitton, but much quieter, better streetscape, no Mogdeny smell, a TW2 post code. Or pursue the less fashionable bits of Hampton - no aircraft noise and nicer feel.

It's a bit of a hidden pocket in tw2 and tw12 and really a super spot. LBRUT is an excellent local borough too.

Sudha2014 Fri 26-Sep-14 19:29:17

Hi, we are look at properties in Whitton. Can someone please tell me how cosmopolitan is the community there? is there a good mix of people from different cultural backgrounds?

Artistic Fri 03-Oct-14 11:47:58

We looked at properties in this area earlier this year. Between the sewage smell from Mogden, aircraft noise, tiny cramped houses & Rugby road restrictions, we've given up on the entire TW2 patch. Sorry am not much help, am sure there are areas in TW2 which are less problematic & hence worth considering. Good luck.

Sudha2014 Sun 05-Oct-14 10:59:50

Hi, Can anyone here give me any input on 'Evelyn Close' and surrounding streets in Whitton? Looking at the Metopolitan Police website, it seems to suggest a higher rate of crime compared to its neighbouring streets/areas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now