Large light fittings, but not too ££?

(39 Posts)
Pannacotta Mon 29-Jul-13 08:47:18

I need to get a couple of new light fittings but am struggling to find anything big enough which isn't too expensive.
The rooms I need them for are large and have very high ceilings (over 3m) so anything too small looks mean and out of proportion - its an old Victorian house.

I am not mad keen on big round paper shades but that seems to be my only choice at the moment.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

TIA

MrsFlorrick Fri 02-Aug-13 23:43:33

Pannacotta

How about these?

www.lightsworld.co.uk/p/Searchlight_Tuscany_5_Light_Pendant_in_Black.htm

Or

www.lightsworld.co.uk/p/Searchlight_Fisherman_Large_Sliver_Pendant_Light_with_Seeded_Glass_Shade.htm

Both inexpensive and traditional style.

I am not a hundred percent clear on what you are after. Is it a chandelier type thing?

minipie Fri 02-Aug-13 18:08:39

Hmm, tricky. we had a similar dilemma and ended up putting in down lighters in the corners and leaving the roses without any light fitting <unhelpful>

Pannacotta Fri 02-Aug-13 14:59:50

Thanks for the suggestions.
I did look at Jim Lawrence and Wilkinsons etc but their fittings are either too small or too pricey.
I do like the kitchen lights at JL though and they would be good in the kitchen once it is done (lower ceiling in there).
The rooms are both large as well as having tall ceilings - I have a light fitting in one of them with 50cm diameter and it looks much too small.
The IKEA Maskros light at 80cm diameter is about right size wise and I may get this for the family room but its too modern for the other room.

Will check out B&Q but their lighting is usually fairly standard sizes.

LondonJax Fri 02-Aug-13 14:13:31

B and Q do chandelier type lighting under £100 and also had some nice light shades when we were last in.

minipie Fri 02-Aug-13 14:03:13

what about a drum shade? I'd go for a slightly tapered one like this rather than straight sided one. These go up to 50cm diameter but they also do bespoke if you wanted bigger.

If you don't want the light bulb on display you could get a diffuser.

minipie Fri 02-Aug-13 13:53:52

I second the Jim Lawrence suggestion, though may go over budget if you want something chandelier-y.

Laura Ashley often has good value period y light fittings. We have this in a bedroom (Victorian high ceiling, though not 3m)

I have many a paper shade in my house (every room almost) but now I've discovered Jim Lawrence Lights, some are expensive, but may aren't too bad - you mentioned F&B Clay colour - well I just got 2 of these!!! Lovely but now have to decorate kitchen before they can go up - So I have to be patient. They also have a Lampshade Builder which I have been playing with - some shades are massive and you can do a coloured inside/plain outside so when I make up my mind on a fabric will start on those... and they have clearance stuff too. There is a big lighting section on their site and its made by hand too.
Hopefully that gives you a bit of inspiration as it is my new fave :D

CuddyMum Fri 02-Aug-13 11:22:08

Just installing an 8 arm chandelier in my Victorian house - will report back (well actually husband is installing).

crazyhead Thu 01-Aug-13 11:10:34

Try looking on Etsy. Where do you live? I managed to get some really lovely designer lights second hand - I'm in London so you can wait and pounce.

Misty9 Wed 31-Jul-13 19:24:48

I was about to suggest wilkos this is very similar to the JL one, and there's a few other nice ones too.

cantspel Wed 31-Jul-13 17:09:03

Try looking in Wilkinsons . There lighting is just as good quality as BHS but a lot cheaper.

ttp://www.wilko.com/lighting/ceiling-lighting/icat/ceiling?sort=name&parentCategoryRef=ceiling&order=ascend&q=*&setpagenum=1&perpage=12

HormonalHousewife Wed 31-Jul-13 13:00:06

I have that Ikea one in a victorain high ceilinged room and its fabulous.

I have scoured the internet to find Portaromana styles but at more affordable prices. I bought wall lights from Ocean lighting and found they were very good and cheap as chips comparatively

Pannacotta Wed 31-Jul-13 11:56:34

Thanks, have looked at BHS and like a couple there but they are too expensive.
I do like the second one you linked to WW, that is stylish. Not totally convinced it is quite big enough but I could order and see how it looks.

WeleaseWodger Wed 31-Jul-13 11:16:30
WeleaseWodger Wed 31-Jul-13 11:13:03

How about this reduced from 170 to 42.50?

m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-rhona-multi-arm-ceiling-light-gold-black/p231572262?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_60

Personally, I don't like the gold but for that price, I'd just spray paint it.

redshoes Wed 31-Jul-13 10:45:09

I think budget chandeliers from bhs are your best bet - they are always having sales - sooner or later the ones you like will be in the sale! smile

Pannacotta Wed 31-Jul-13 10:41:11

Thanks all.
I've looked through all the links but nothing I have seen has tickled me yet.
Sorry but am not too keen on the industrial type lights (at least not for this house) and the coloured globes are sweet but a bit modern.
I have had a look on ebay too but not much joy there either.

Perhaps I will just get some paper shades until I find something else...

we have a victorian house and have this light in our dining room over our table :http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30089411/

noddyholder Mon 29-Jul-13 14:30:09

eriack i have the cargo lights in my study Beautiful!

Erlack Mon 29-Jul-13 14:16:29

There's a website for a company called Trinity Marine that do really cool (and some very large) industrial chic fittings reclaimed from ships and the like. The prices are really pretty reasonable considering the size of some things - I ordered one of their pendant lights and even though it needs to have a sparky fit the electrics I thought it was a good deal. The style may not be to everyone's taste right enough but maybe worth checking out.

Pannacotta Mon 29-Jul-13 13:38:20

Thanks all.
One room is F&B London Clay,
http://www.farrow-ball.com/pws/ProductDetails.ice?ProductID=100244&redirect=true
the other is Fired Earth Stone Ochre
http://www.firedearth.com/stone-ochre
Fairly classic decoration (unfinished though) and large ceiling roses which make it hard to add modern fittings.
Will check links later once DCs are not bothering me, thanks!

We have these in our hallway, similar height to yours, 3 large ones hung separately then a small, medium and large one grouped together next to the front door, all different colours. I love them and we get lots of compliments on them. The shades and fittings for all of those came to about £200 iirc. Only trouble is I can't see whether you can get them delivered here from France, we bought ours when on holiday (driving). Or are they too modern for your decor?

look at shots with ceiling pendants

nancerama Mon 29-Jul-13 13:01:25
recall Mon 29-Jul-13 12:37:15

or the ££££s grin

noddyholder Mon 29-Jul-13 12:28:28

these look good if you have the height.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now