Q for interior designers/property experts? Do I go high end or Howdens when refurbishing kitchen for selling property in C London?

(24 Posts)
sh77 Thu 25-Jul-13 22:09:02

I am looking to have a new ktchen installed as we want to sell our flat in the next few months. Not sure if an expensive kitchen makes much difference to the price compared with a cheaper one. Any thoughts?

ChocolateHelps Fri 26-Jul-13 15:45:14

Do you really want the expense and aggravation of stripping out and fitting a new kitchen just to sell? Chances are it will be stripped out by the new owner anyway! Best ask an estate agent but I'd suggest saving your cash and energy for your next home and fitting a kitchen you really love

iseenodust Fri 26-Jul-13 15:52:09

We were advised by estate agent to replace kitchen even though I said most buyers surely replace to own taste. Apparently it's the psychology of competing with new builds. Anyway estate agent said did not need to be expensive. Caveat we are outside SE but in naice area for round these parts.

sh77 Fri 26-Jul-13 16:17:10

Good points. EA said don't bother as people prefer to fit their own, however, the cynic in me thought he was looking after his own interests. Refurb'd flats seem to get better prices. I have spent the day looking at some fab ex-display kitchens with appliances at really good prices. May go down that route.

ChocolateHelps Fri 26-Jul-13 17:45:07

Then I'd say go for v neutral and inexpensive. If it suits your house then glossy white with a laminate worktop in a wood effect and mat hong upstands can look v clean and smart. Unless you are in a period property tho! A friend moved into a stunning Georgian rectory that had flag stone floors and wood burner and then a totally out of place white kitchen. Ikea is cheapest if DIY or Benchmarx / Howdens if got a builder to fit

MadBusLady Fri 26-Jul-13 18:10:15

What have you got at the moment? I can't see much point replacing an ok kitchen with another ok kitchen, so if you do then go high end. But the agent has a point, C London buyers are not going to have cashflow problems, the most they will need is a do-for-now while they do it to taste. Does it already have that?

sh77 Fri 26-Jul-13 19:43:20

We have half a kitchen, which is pretty appalling. For some reason, the previous owner decided not to put any cabinets on the third wall. It is very badly designed and does not have enough storage. I think I can get a high end ex display German kitchen with Miele appliances for 15k (possibly less). Kitchen showrooms need replace displays and I learned today that if it haven't sold by their deadline, they just dismantle. So, I am waiting it out for another 4 weeks to see if I can drill down on the price. Another tip I got from a high-end shiwroom is that exhibition kitchens can be even cheaper than shop display ones.

sh77 Fri 26-Jul-13 19:45:39

Argghh sorry for the poor grammar!

RoseFlowerFairy Fri 26-Jul-13 19:48:18

I would put in a cheap IKEA kitchen.

Pannacotta Fri 26-Jul-13 21:55:26

I don't think its worth spending 15K on a kitchen in a flat you are selling even if its a good area.
If you want it to look high end, then get IKEA units and have doors made in mdf and spray painted and add wooden worktops and posh sink/tap/oven etc.
Lots of developers/architects do this.
It also means you can afford to add interior fittings and have plenty of pan drawers etc which both look impressive.

Pannacotta Fri 26-Jul-13 22:01:48

Have posted this link before but worth a look perhaps
aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/tips-tricks-for-buying-ikea-kitchen.html

theWookiesWife Sat 27-Jul-13 09:22:54

Hi.
If you don't want to go to the expense of putting in a new kitchen why not clarify that you are marketing it at a price that allows the new owners to put in their new dream kitchen ?!
I'm a freelance kitchen designer - and I have, in the last few years, produced a set of drawings for house sellers - so that the new owners can see what they can achieve... I did this for three couples in America - and on two of the jobs, I also tweaked the designs for the new owners - who went on to buy new kitchens locally.
I'm actually based in the UK - and i think it should work over here too !!!
You can see the sort of drawings I produce on my pro page on Houzz...
www.houzz.com/pro/oneplan/oneplan
Karen

LookWhoTalking Mon 05-Aug-13 20:53:38

If its a high end home it needs a high end kitchen IMO between 10% - 20% of property value

Roshbegosh Mon 05-Aug-13 20:58:08

I would economise on the cupboards and Howdens or B&Q will be fine but spend big on the work top, appliances and taps.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Mon 05-Aug-13 21:40:40

We are looking to buy at the moment and my heart sinks whenever I see a newly fitted kitchen - I loathe the wastefulness of ripping out a brand new kitchen but hate cooking in a kitchen designed to suit someone else. It is NOT a selling point. When we sold our house, we had all the windows repainted and the exterior primped, on the basis that you want put your stamp on the inside not worry about the dull-but-necessary stuff.

thesaurusgirl Mon 05-Aug-13 21:41:55

I've just bought a flat and one of the things I had never realised -or accounted for before - was that the value you think you add to a property doesn't allow for the fact that the work is paid out of taxed income!

So say if you put in a £15k kitchen, it will hopefully add that as well as a small premium to the sale value ie you've "added value" of £20k so made a £5k "profit".

In fact you've actually lost money because £15k net is at least £25k gross!

sh77 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:05:00

Thank you for the really interesting comments.
Schnitzel - your thoughts were exactly the agent said. However, the current state of my kitchen may put off buyers.
It is a costly exercise and will look to getting cheaper cupboards.

Monty27 Mon 05-Aug-13 22:14:11

I fitted a Howden's kitchen 5 years ago because I was going to sell and then bottled it, however the kitchen still looks quite modern (cream gloss, stainless steel handles, or brushed steel more likely grin). Anyway, my point is, it still looks good after 5 years and buyers do not necessarily have the cash to immediately fit a new kitchen, I've certainly had my money's worth out of it, it cost about 3k I think, including electrics (not oven or anything) and in it's present state, it definitely would not put a buyer off that's for sure.

contortionist Tue 06-Aug-13 09:47:23

thesaurusgirl - the tax thing only matters if you have to pay tax on the income from selling the property. If the sale is tax free (which it often is), then the scenario you mention would be a £5k profit, or maybe £4.5k after accounting for estate agent fees.

noobieteacher Tue 06-Aug-13 09:56:00

It depends on the space that you have. If you can make the space look bigger by changing the layout of the kitchen then put it in. You could for instance use base units only with open shelves on the walls - this makes the room look bigger and is cheaper than a full kitchen. Think of it as decoration rather than functionality. Ikea units are great because people know they can pop along and get new drawers or doors or appliances when they feel like refurbishing.

theWookiesWife Wed 07-Aug-13 09:06:55

I think people expect a quality kitchen in a home nowadays - especially if it's a top end property - if money is tight or you think it will end up being ripped out - an ikea one - but with different handles and sink and worktops could work - but would need to be disguised well - and well designed ! nothing that shouts ikea at you !!

mamagrey Fri 06-Sep-13 12:37:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Stokey Fri 06-Sep-13 16:04:46

Property market is moving so fast in London that I wouldn't have thought selling should be a problem regardless of state of kitchen. Keep hearing of places being bid over asking price and having 30-40 people turn up at open days. Save your German kitchen for where you buy.

A1980p Mon 09-Sep-13 22:22:56

I saw on tv they said the kitchen should cost 5% of the value of your house, this will then put it in the right bracket for the market.
Any less and you will be down valuing the most important room in the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now