How did you know the house you bought was 'the one`?

(49 Posts)
Willow33 Wed 17-Jul-13 14:18:28

More the one that was right for you...
We are looking and there isn't a huge amount of properties on the market in the area we are looking in. However there is one which dh likes because of the potential to extend and do a rent-a-room. We need to do this to enable me to work
part time. It does tick a lot of boxes but I am not sure in my heart. Dh says I need to think whether my concerns are valid - house on road with a bus route and ex local authority houses opposite which don't look nice (yes am a bit of a snob). Also storage in our bedroom minimal due to being in the roof and a dormer extension a bit too expensive considering other work we need to do.
So how did you know your place was where you would be happy? How did you know?

noisytoys Wed 17-Jul-13 19:11:12

It was the 1 only flat in my budget in the right area for the right price so I bought it. I don't love it but I'm grateful to own it, it's a good first step on the ladder.

BikeRunSki Wed 17-Jul-13 19:13:50

We could afford it and it was not falling down. Those criteria eliminated quite a lot.

Misty9 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:47:09

We're hopefully getting close to exchange on the house we love. It was the first one we saw! I'd had it on my watchlist for a while (while waiting for mortgage in principle) and it ticked all our boxes...but was over budget.

Loved it instantly (gorgeous kitchen diner extension) but felt we needed to look around cheaper other houses. Saw a handful more but nothing in the area we love as the style of house we want is very rare in the area we want.

I think it's a feeling, after the obvious criteria of ticking the main boxes, and I couldn't buy somewhere that I didn't feel could be 'home'. I even apply this to renting - and we've moved a lot!

You sound like you're not keen on the house OP, so if time is on your side I'd wait it out until more comes on the market...or decide what you're willing to compromise on. I'd also def look at things you mightn't think you'd like to rule in or out certain options, iyswim.

littlecrystal Wed 17-Jul-13 21:22:01

Misty9 can I ask how did you manage to get a house that was over your budget?

Kiriwawa Wed 17-Jul-13 21:29:00

Embarrassingly, I welled up. I had been looking for a very long time, nothing quite fit the bill, I'd sold my place so was starting to face the horrible renting/storage reality and suddenly, there was my dream.

Two years down the line I get really cross about some of the idiosyncrasies and there's always going to be stuff to do but it fills my heart with joy every time I put my key in the door

Youhaventseenme

When you walk up the path, and into the house and the first thing you say to yourself is that is where my Christmas tree is going. Or is that just me ?? blush

Not just you. I was coming to post this.

Misty9 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:06:53

Little - it was over our 250k limit as we wanted to avoid the stamp duty rise. But we can afford the extra (258k) and feel it is worth it, for the reasons mentioned in my pp smile

marriedinwhiteagain Wed 17-Jul-13 22:16:24

It was home the first time we saw it and couldn't afford it; then the people who could afford it pulled out and then the early 90s recession bit and the developers went bankrupt and six months later we could.

specialsubject Wed 17-Jul-13 22:42:40

when you see it for the first time and say 'oh yes'. More precisely, when you don't look at the rest of the houses in the area and think 'I wish it was that one'.

you do 'just know' - but if you can't afford it, or there is something wrong with it, there WILL be another house.

Willow33 Thu 18-Jul-13 00:39:16

So we went to see it again and I was more convinced that there are ways around the storage. It isn't the nicest bit of the road but we are buying in uncheap London however am more convinced of its potential. I also asked a lady a few doors down if she liked the road and she said all good things. Her dd also went to the school I want to get my dd into so that's a good point. It has potential but is no way the finished article. It has an east facing garden though...mmmm

Willow33 Thu 18-Jul-13 00:41:47

Oh there are lots on the rd which I would rather have specialsubject but they are not in our budget at the mo!

bodingading Thu 18-Jul-13 11:53:59

I knew instantly. Instantly. I didn't even have to go inside, just looked at the front door. Before I viewed I already knew it met all our functional requirements, so the viewing was just to test the emotional rightness.

But we had been looking since 2007 and had lost out on two other properties that I would have been very happy in too in that time.

OrmirianResurgam Thu 18-Jul-13 12:09:03

Because as soon as I saw it I wanted it. We put our house on the market in the hopes of getting it. It was just what we wanted and just about affordable. We were prepared to put ours on the market at the lowest valuation for a quick sale as nothing much was moving at the time. It just was right. And I love it. My spirits rise as I come round the corner into the street.

If I am honest I still have a little dream of a house in the country with room for a pony for DD, and a big veg garden, and a stream etc etc but I have to live in the real world....

Willow33 Fri 19-Jul-13 08:08:31

I don't know what to do. Dh thinks it can work but I am not into the position. However not much else on the market.

loraflora Fri 19-Jul-13 10:13:16

I have bought two houses and the first I fell in love with, while, the second ticked various boxes for practicality. 1st was a 3 storey Victorian house with a front view of a hill and a side sea view and I wanted it as soon as I walked in. DH's car commute was quite long and after he had a car crash we decided to sell up and go somewhere nearer. 2nd house was a 1980s box with lots of pubs and restaurants nearby and 10 mins from a station. I didn't love it but it seemed sensible and was the most house we could afford in London. I did not realise that those practicalities also meant litter and a certain level of noise, so the head isn't always 100% right. I still live here and have gradually improved it, but I hated it for a few years. Next time I'd try to take both head and heart into account if poss.

Zyngaling Fri 19-Jul-13 10:26:40

I know what you mean. The house I'm moving to ticked all my boxes. But yet, I didn't walk in the door and visualise living there. I will make it The One after I've moved in though. There was another house what felt like the one but survey came back and it was like a favela. So now I wonder if I should trust that 'The One' feeling. It will feel like home when it is home.

marriedinwhiteagain Fri 19-Jul-13 21:53:49

Our current house was home woth the place for the xmas tree. It is also draughty, hard to maintain, awkwardly laid out and sometimes not that practocal. although I luffs it and didn't want to leave

But our new, modern shocktown house - half way extyended and refurbed in reallyu styarting to grow on me: mre secure, more modern, laid out better, beTter insulated, OSP for three cars, gated, straight staircases that wd take a stair lift, no river; no rats.

DH bought it without a lot of consultation but it will be an easier and more economocal to run sot of house. Not quite the same kerb appeal - but a lot going for it.

Zyngaling Sat 20-Jul-13 00:10:29

It amazes me when I watch phil and kirsty how some people get that 'the one' feeling about an old donkey barn with no roof, and they get all excited about fixing it up, but they are 'meh' about a solid house with a roof that could still find plenty of room for a new owner's stamp!

formicadinosaur Sat 20-Jul-13 08:29:13

I loved the area and saw the house had potential. We thought we were buying our forever house. The work took years (moving layout etc) and I fell out of love with the place, however now its finished I feel warmer about the house. Still want to move though.

delilahbelle Sat 20-Jul-13 08:37:08

Ours wasn't the house as much as the l

delilahbelle Sat 20-Jul-13 08:41:39

Ours wasn't the house as much as the location. It's close to town, but on an older estate so we have a garage, off road parking and lots of greenery/trees around us. The neighbours are lovely too. It's nice and quiet and also fairly central.
Compromises are I didn't get my southwest facing garden, it needs a fair bit if work, and we have a kitchen with a breakfast bar and a living-diner rather than the massive kitchen-diner I would like.
It's not the one, we plan to do it up over the next 5/6 years, then either rent it out or sell it on and move up the property ladder.

Zyngaling Sat 20-Jul-13 08:43:11

l l location?

Zyngaling Sat 20-Jul-13 08:45:21

sorry! x post there I think!

ElephantsEye Sat 27-Jul-13 00:07:41

We bought this house about 18 years ago, so no viewing online - EAs sent out lists through the post, with minimal info and no photos. I still recall opening one of these lists in the car and telling DH about this house. It was on the correct side of a favourite street. The number, type and size of rooms was 'just right', and we could afford it. Seemed too good to be true. We phoned to arrange a viewing before we even managed to pick up a schedule (with pictures!). Anyway, when we viewed it we knew it was the one.

Some unexpected legal complications arose: our lawyer said "I don't normally advise proceeding in such cases - what's so special about it?" We just smiled. Luckily he steered us through the legal difficulties and we are still here, hopefully for many more years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now