Advice needed - where can I buy in London/SE on 190k budget?

(56 Posts)
stargirl0412 Mon 15-Jul-13 18:34:47

Hi folks, I'm afraid I have a pauper's budget - single woman with no partner in a poor-earning profession (by London standards), but in my industry London is where the work is.

I've looked into shared ownership but I'm getting on a bit and think that shared o/ship is fine if you're in your 20s and 30s but not if you're older.

I have a decent deposit (around 70k) but combined with my income, it still won't get me much.

I really hate myself for admitting this because it sounds so snobbish but I just can't bring myself to buy an ex-local authority flat in London. The main reason (I think) is because ex-LA buildings just look so ugly and depressing.

I would also be worried about tough neighbours/drug problems/ gangs etc, not to mention the fact that you can be landed with enormous repair bills. (I've heard of people being asked to cough up 30k plus).

A colleague has just bought an ex-LA flat in Charlton but she is a braver woman than I am. blush

I can't afford Forest Hill and Sydenham, wouldn't dare live in Peckham, but would consider moving out of town into Kent, Essex or Surrey.

I'd like a two-bed, ideally, but realise I can probably only get a one-bed if I want to live somewhere decent.

Greenhithe looks affordable - does anyone have any advice about this place as I don't know it at all?

I can afford Belvedere and Welling, but hear that both are pretty grim. I don't want to move to a chav town particularly, but realise I'm on a limited budget.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I need to be on a train line no farther out than 45mins from London stations.

Thanks

allaflutter Wed 17-Jul-13 15:38:23

fuckwittery can you share more about the leafy Herts grin? So far everything I've looked at on rightmove is VERY expensive if it's on rail link, places like Harpenden, St.Albans. for about 250. Yes, you can get a tiny miniscule 2 bed houseWith smaller places it's just unrealistic to go and look at all of them, so a local's info would be very useful!

OP, just go for the top floor if buying period property! some lower flors can be well insulated if the flat above has carpets with underlay - unfortunately people don't want to spend on that often than not, in a inexpensive flat. But you can always ask the agent to find out before going to view. I wouldn't dismiss them- nice and cool in summer unlike the new-builds <smugly MN'ing in a cool breezy flat>

allaflutter Wed 17-Jul-13 15:50:25

that was, tiny 2 bed house for about 250 - the section jumped.

fuckwittery Thu 18-Jul-13 00:15:22

[http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39405391.html]] cottage 180k hitchin second room is a box admittedly

sleepdodger Thu 18-Jul-13 10:28:12

Are you all about london or just proximity to london? Head north?
Market harborough 50 min into pancras on east mids trains- beautiful villages for 200k youd get a cute cortage or Rugby 56 min by train into euston on virgin and for 200k you could get a 3/4 bed house... Loads of nice villages round about too

Bellts Thu 18-Jul-13 10:46:21

if you search br6 7ah on right move theres a 2 bed flat for 210000 it is outdated. I think it will go for cheaper as recently a more up to date flat in same road sold for 207000. good luck

Frm73 Tue 27-Aug-13 10:49:49

Catford is a nice place to live, if you chose wisely a one bed Victorian flat is achievable under 190K within a friendly conservation area. There are two areas being developed soon, one by Barrats if you wanted a new build.
Catford already has two train stations into central London in Zone 3. I condider my self lucky enought to live in SE6, with an active neighbourhood group, highly rated school and local shops. If you wanted I can show you round the area and take you out for a drink just to sample Catford!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now