Would you buy a house with a north facing garden?

(62 Posts)
georgeclooneyfan Sun 14-Jul-13 23:49:31

We can't decide over going for a new build which ticks all the boxes apart from it's north facing garden.We have spent ages talking about it and have been looking for ages for a house.We have always had a south facing garden which has been great when it is sunny,my dh would prefer a west facing one.We feel time is passing us by as we have waited literally years for the right house to come up.Any advice would be great thanks

jalopy Sun 21-Jul-13 17:25:42

Nextphase - my house is south facing and therefore has sunlight in the kitchen and a reception room at the back of the house. We have separate reception at the front of the house which of course receives no sunlight at all.

The current trend also is to have extensions/kitchens/conservatories at the back of the house. As you say, it depends on internal arrangements. It's just something to consider especially if you don't have a through room to light up the north-facing area.

EasyFromNowOn Sun 21-Jul-13 17:06:32

My kitchen faces north, it looks out over the garden, it gets the sun first thing in the morning, which I think is lovely for a kitchen. I think it must technically be North-NorthEast, because it does get some direct sun. It's also helped by the fact that we are on a hill (on a new build estate) so the houses behind us are lower down so we don't get any shadows cast by them, plus they only extend the width of half the garden.

If you go into the showroom, they should have a model display of the estate, so you can see how big the garden is in relation to the house. I also managed to get DH to do an animation of where the shadows would fall in the garden at various times of the day/year. He needed the plan of the plot/estate, the co-ordinates and some data about how high the sun gets at various times but it was great for working this kind of thing out!

nextphase Sun 21-Jul-13 15:50:20

But Jalopy if you have a south facing garden, half the house faces north as well. It depends on the internal arrangements.
S facing here, with kitchen and living room facing south. I wouldn't have bought this house N facing. If you have a through room tho, it makes no difference if N-S or S-N.

jalopy Sun 21-Jul-13 14:59:58

Aside from garden issues, I would be bothered that the kitchen and back reception room does get any direct sunlight during the day. That would depress me especially in winter. Those rooms tend to be cold.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 21-Jul-13 13:07:19

I've got a north facing garden
Between May-August there's a decent amount of sun all day long. very little in the evenings, but the garden is really short, so I assume most gardens would get a little.

In Spring and Autumn there's not much sun after lunch, and winter's not worth mentioning as it rains so much here anyway.

we have lots of evergreen shrubs - holly, ivy, azaleas, japonicas, Euonymus - and save the colour for the tiny, south facing front garden. Makes gardening easier at least. and the rooms are the front of the house are filled with light all year round.

MousyMouse Sun 21-Jul-13 12:51:17

our garden is north facing and gets plenty of sun.

east facing would be darker.

Our garden faces north. TBH I didn't think about it when we bought the house, but it's fine. Our neighbour's garden is one huge veg patch which shows that it gets enough sun most of the time. I do miss sun in the rooms at the back, especially the kitchen but we do have sun somewhere in the garden most of the day. The only time it can be an issue is when you get the odd super sunny day in March. As other posters have said, we get sun until v. late too, which is lovely. And we have a fine view of the sunsetting too.

flow4 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:48

Thank you gcfan. You too - when you finally find the one you want! smile

georgeclooneyfan Fri 19-Jul-13 21:37:58

Hi flow4 that fills me with more confidence,you are right by the time everyones home from work and made tea etc etc then when you do go outside the sun would still be out.At weekends if friends were coming over for drinks,tea etc then it would be better facing north as the sun would still be out at that time,our house starts to loose the sun at this time of year about 6/6.30 ish.Enjoy your new home and garden!

flow4 Fri 19-Jul-13 21:29:10

I just have, and have been fretting about it, because my current house is south-facing, tho it has no garden to speak of... However, last night I had supper at friends' whose garden faces exactly the same direction as our new house... And it was sunny in their garden until 8:30pm, so we were able to eat outside and enjoy the evening... The sun is round the back of my current house by 4-5pm, which is generally before I'm even home from work... So I'm now feeling pretty chuffed about my new north-facing garden! smile

georgeclooneyfan Fri 19-Jul-13 21:22:14

Hi everyone thanks or all the comments we are still undecided,I do agree that it would depend alot on the size of the garden,the longer the better so we are trying to get the dimensions from the builders.If the house was already built it would be so much easier for us to decide.With all the warm weather we have been able to make the most of our south facing garden especially up here in the north of Scotland as it's not always so sunny and warm.As we would be paying more than we had orginally planned for the house thats why we are struggling about the garden,although we have been looking so long we know we are going to have to comprise somewhere.For the last four years it has been the gardens not facing the right way that has put us of buying the houses and sometimes I think maybe we should wait some more,but there are hardly any that tick most of our boxes like this one even though the garden isn't 100% to our liking.I feel like I'm boring everyone about this house and should just go for it arrgghh.

LadyLech Fri 19-Jul-13 00:24:17

I have a north facing garden, and actively prefer them to south facing, for the following reasons:

1. I am not a gardener smile

2. My living room (at the front of the house) is therefore south facing, and so gets all of the sun and is very bright and sunny all day long.

3. My garden has always got shade in it for the children to play in. It is never too hot.

4. Whilst I have a modern house (1990), the garden is big enough so that there is always some sun in it. And as I tend not to be ready to enjoy the garden until the afternoon, it usually has some sun unti then.

I have had a south facing garden in the past, and hated it because a) it got too dammed hot, and b), my therefore north facing living room was quite dark and didn't get lots of sun light. Personally, I'd prefer another north facing garden.

Noseynoonoo Thu 18-Jul-13 23:53:57

My garden faces NNW. It is not a problem at all.

The sun hits the patio at 11.30am and we have very little shade until late afternoon when we have shade cast on the garden from a tree several gardens down to the west. It is a blessed relief having that shade.

The back rooms of the house have been cooler during this heat whilst the south facing front room that we don't use.

I genuinely think that a lot of people miss out on a great house because of the north/south garden issue - but it helped us because houses in our area get snapped up really quickly (this was the 6th house we bid on).

camtt Thu 18-Jul-13 22:02:58

my garden is north facing too. I have a patio at the house end, deck at the back and it has a beautiful open view. I was worried about the north facing thing but haven't found it a problem, I can sit at the top or the bottom depending on time of day and the shade is very welcome in this heat

Jan49 Thu 18-Jul-13 21:48:55

I've twice owned houses and I haven't a clue what way they faced and wouldn't take any notice of that. If north facing means it's pleasantly shady on a sunny day, I'd like that, but that's something I'd notice when living there, not something I'd take into account when buying.

trikken Thu 18-Jul-13 16:07:58

I have a north facing garden. Its fine. Gets the light by mid morning and is great for parties and afternoon and evening bbq's.

TenthMuse Thu 18-Jul-13 16:03:00

Ours faces north-east. It took a bit of getting used to, but we really like it now; there is some sun for much of the day (until about 5-6pm depending on time of year). The flower border is in the shadiest part, but we researched shade-loving plants and now have plenty of stuff growing there, plus fruit and veg in the sunnier parts. There is always some shade, which is great in summer, especially if you have kids.

North-facing aspect means the living room and our bedroom are always relatively cool (blissful in this weather!) We are lucky, though, because although it's a smallish urban garden (we're in London) it is square and fairly open, so never feels too dingy or oppressive. Imagine things might be different if it was narrower or more hemmed in. Also echo what Angelina said about drainage - we did have problems with this (with masses of builders rubble) and DP had to spend our first year here digging it all out so that plants would actually grow - not fun!

EasyFromNowOn Wed 17-Jul-13 17:10:56

new build, north facing garden here. It's great at the moment, the sun shines into the kitchen and dining room only until about 11am, so it isn't too hot at the moment. We have a patio directly outside the house, which is in shade most of the day, and another seating area at the bottom of the garden which is in sun until around 8pm throughout June and July.

As of now (5pm), about half the garden is in the sun and half in shade. Our garden is quite wide but not especially deep, but we are on a bit of a slope, which seems to help.

It is a bit gloomy in the depths of winter (we've been here just over a year) but I can live with that.

ouryve Wed 17-Jul-13 16:19:05

Hell yes! Then I'd be able to sit outside in weather like this instead of always hiding indoors.

vez123 Wed 17-Jul-13 16:17:07

Our house faces NE and the garden is only 35 feet long. At the moment the garden is sunny pretty much all day. Even in the evening between 6 and 7 we have a sunny spot in the middle of the garden, not less sun than the S facing ones opposite.
We didn't have any sun at all though in the winter months. And on those warm autumn days that you sometimes get in October the sun was only at the back of the garden in the afternoon whilst the front of the house was baking in the sun. I think as long as you're happy with the rest of the house and you know that you will get some sun it shouldn't be a reason not to go for the house.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 16-Jul-13 10:07:00

We have a north facing garden. It has sun all day long. The amount of sun which your garden gets isn't just to do with the direction it faces. It is also to do with how built up the area is around you, in every direction. We are detatched, there are no houses behind ours, and there are generous spaces in between our house and the houses either side of us. So we get sun from every direction into our garden. I chase the shade around, rather than chase the sun. The Dc were hiding under the trampoline at the weekend to get some shade smile.

Our family room is off the garden, and I really like that it is a cool room without any direct sunlight in it.

JakeBullet Tue 16-Jul-13 07:03:36

I have a North facing garden and its okay. I am also surrounded by other houses which block out sunlight inthe aafternoon. However I love it, plenty of shade to enjoy the garden in. I don't like sitting in bright sunlight so my garden is perfect.

Jaynebxl Tue 16-Jul-13 06:59:56

We are moving from a south facing garden to a north facing one and I'm quite happy about it. But then I don't like sitting in the direct sunlight and always look for shade to sit under.

RobinSparkles Mon 15-Jul-13 22:25:11

Funnily enough, we've just moved into a new build with a North facing garden! I love it! The garden gets sun all day from 8 till 8 at the moment. It's quite long though, and there is nothing surrounding it to cast a shadow.

We have just moved from a house that had a South-West facing garden which barely got any bloody sun due to the neighbour behind having a massive tree. His garden was probably north ish facing and got sun all the bastarding live long day angry.

crazyhead Mon 15-Jul-13 15:26:47

Our new garden is south west and baking at the moment as it was pretty neglected. However, you can create shade with planting/pergolas etc but you can't remove the shade of the house. Also, we both work so it is definitely nicer in the evenings for most of the year and good for plants.

The kitchen diner is really too warm at the moment, but perfect most of the time, most people would definitely gravitate towards that room in an English climate.

However I think a lot of things can make a house gloomy or not, including the size of the windows and size and shape of the rooms, so if you are more worried about the effect on the house, think about the package

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now