ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Would you buy a house with a north facing garden?

(62 Posts)
georgeclooneyfan Sun 14-Jul-13 23:49:31

We can't decide over going for a new build which ticks all the boxes apart from it's north facing garden.We have spent ages talking about it and have been looking for ages for a house.We have always had a south facing garden which has been great when it is sunny,my dh would prefer a west facing one.We feel time is passing us by as we have waited literally years for the right house to come up.Any advice would be great thanks

LadyLech Fri 19-Jul-13 00:24:17

I have a north facing garden, and actively prefer them to south facing, for the following reasons:

1. I am not a gardener smile

2. My living room (at the front of the house) is therefore south facing, and so gets all of the sun and is very bright and sunny all day long.

3. My garden has always got shade in it for the children to play in. It is never too hot.

4. Whilst I have a modern house (1990), the garden is big enough so that there is always some sun in it. And as I tend not to be ready to enjoy the garden until the afternoon, it usually has some sun unti then.

I have had a south facing garden in the past, and hated it because a) it got too dammed hot, and b), my therefore north facing living room was quite dark and didn't get lots of sun light. Personally, I'd prefer another north facing garden.

georgeclooneyfan Fri 19-Jul-13 21:22:14

Hi everyone thanks or all the comments we are still undecided,I do agree that it would depend alot on the size of the garden,the longer the better so we are trying to get the dimensions from the builders.If the house was already built it would be so much easier for us to decide.With all the warm weather we have been able to make the most of our south facing garden especially up here in the north of Scotland as it's not always so sunny and warm.As we would be paying more than we had orginally planned for the house thats why we are struggling about the garden,although we have been looking so long we know we are going to have to comprise somewhere.For the last four years it has been the gardens not facing the right way that has put us of buying the houses and sometimes I think maybe we should wait some more,but there are hardly any that tick most of our boxes like this one even though the garden isn't 100% to our liking.I feel like I'm boring everyone about this house and should just go for it arrgghh.

flow4 Fri 19-Jul-13 21:29:10

I just have, and have been fretting about it, because my current house is south-facing, tho it has no garden to speak of... However, last night I had supper at friends' whose garden faces exactly the same direction as our new house... And it was sunny in their garden until 8:30pm, so we were able to eat outside and enjoy the evening... The sun is round the back of my current house by 4-5pm, which is generally before I'm even home from work... So I'm now feeling pretty chuffed about my new north-facing garden! smile

georgeclooneyfan Fri 19-Jul-13 21:37:58

Hi flow4 that fills me with more confidence,you are right by the time everyones home from work and made tea etc etc then when you do go outside the sun would still be out.At weekends if friends were coming over for drinks,tea etc then it would be better facing north as the sun would still be out at that time,our house starts to loose the sun at this time of year about 6/6.30 ish.Enjoy your new home and garden!

flow4 Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:48

Thank you gcfan. You too - when you finally find the one you want! smile

Our garden faces north. TBH I didn't think about it when we bought the house, but it's fine. Our neighbour's garden is one huge veg patch which shows that it gets enough sun most of the time. I do miss sun in the rooms at the back, especially the kitchen but we do have sun somewhere in the garden most of the day. The only time it can be an issue is when you get the odd super sunny day in March. As other posters have said, we get sun until v. late too, which is lovely. And we have a fine view of the sunsetting too.

MousyMouse Sun 21-Jul-13 12:51:17

our garden is north facing and gets plenty of sun.

east facing would be darker.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 21-Jul-13 13:07:19

I've got a north facing garden
Between May-August there's a decent amount of sun all day long. very little in the evenings, but the garden is really short, so I assume most gardens would get a little.

In Spring and Autumn there's not much sun after lunch, and winter's not worth mentioning as it rains so much here anyway.

we have lots of evergreen shrubs - holly, ivy, azaleas, japonicas, Euonymus - and save the colour for the tiny, south facing front garden. Makes gardening easier at least. and the rooms are the front of the house are filled with light all year round.

jalopy Sun 21-Jul-13 14:59:58

Aside from garden issues, I would be bothered that the kitchen and back reception room does get any direct sunlight during the day. That would depress me especially in winter. Those rooms tend to be cold.

nextphase Sun 21-Jul-13 15:50:20

But Jalopy if you have a south facing garden, half the house faces north as well. It depends on the internal arrangements.
S facing here, with kitchen and living room facing south. I wouldn't have bought this house N facing. If you have a through room tho, it makes no difference if N-S or S-N.

EasyFromNowOn Sun 21-Jul-13 17:06:32

My kitchen faces north, it looks out over the garden, it gets the sun first thing in the morning, which I think is lovely for a kitchen. I think it must technically be North-NorthEast, because it does get some direct sun. It's also helped by the fact that we are on a hill (on a new build estate) so the houses behind us are lower down so we don't get any shadows cast by them, plus they only extend the width of half the garden.

If you go into the showroom, they should have a model display of the estate, so you can see how big the garden is in relation to the house. I also managed to get DH to do an animation of where the shadows would fall in the garden at various times of the day/year. He needed the plan of the plot/estate, the co-ordinates and some data about how high the sun gets at various times but it was great for working this kind of thing out!

jalopy Sun 21-Jul-13 17:25:42

Nextphase - my house is south facing and therefore has sunlight in the kitchen and a reception room at the back of the house. We have separate reception at the front of the house which of course receives no sunlight at all.

The current trend also is to have extensions/kitchens/conservatories at the back of the house. As you say, it depends on internal arrangements. It's just something to consider especially if you don't have a through room to light up the north-facing area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now