Tipping Removal Men?

(29 Posts)
HootShoot Wed 10-Jul-13 17:35:05

Should we and if so how much?

We're paying just shy of a grand to do a fragile pack and move. The guys are great and have done half the house so far and will be finishing and moving us into our new place tomorrow. We have provided soft drinks, biscuits and bacon and sausage sarnie for the morning. Do most people tip too.

ParkerTheThief Wed 10-Jul-13 17:49:11

Ours were amazing so I gave them £100. There were three of them and due to an absolute fuck up they had to move us twice in 3 months.

They had gone above and beyond the call of duty in a really difficult move

Jaynebxl Wed 10-Jul-13 17:51:04

Oo good question, I've been wondering about this too in preparation.

HootShoot Wed 10-Jul-13 17:56:25

Thanks Parker. Ours have been really good but it has been pretty straight forward I think. Is £100 the going rate do you think?

ParkerTheThief Wed 10-Jul-13 18:00:10

I don't know, but it was all the cash I had! They seemed very pleased.

CointreauVersial Wed 10-Jul-13 18:06:20

Bloody hell, I've never tipped. Never occurred to me.

I was such a ball of stress I barely offered them a cup of tea.

HootShoot Wed 10-Jul-13 18:30:09

I wouldn't have thought of it either Cointreau except I have a vague memory of my Mum tipping when we moved. Mmmn, I think I need some more opinions before I part with £100!

1gglePiggle Wed 10-Jul-13 18:52:43

I wouldn't, sounds like you've paid enough!

HootShoot Wed 10-Jul-13 19:22:58

Feels like it! It was the cheapest of four qoutes!

BirdyArms Wed 10-Jul-13 19:26:44

I don't know. When we moved I gave them £40 which was all that I had, I hadn't thought about it in advance, and I think they were probably a bit disappointed by that. We had 3 men and they were great, I would have given them at least £20 each if I'd been more organised.

rcs19 Wed 10-Jul-13 19:29:25

We moved last year and gave the two removal men £20 each, and bought them fish and chips. We only moved 6 miles down the road so it was all done in a day.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 10-Jul-13 19:33:57

I have never tipped anybody who was being paid to do a job, I find it bizarre, not in a judgemental way, because its each to their own. It just never occurs to me, otherwise anybody who did their job would be entitled in my eyes and i'd be skint. grin
I do leave a little bit of change in restaurant if service has been exceptional.

Yama Wed 10-Jul-13 19:37:02

Last ntime we moved, we tipped £10 to each guy.

dippymother Wed 10-Jul-13 19:43:20

We gave our three removal men £50 in April - wasn't sure if it was the thing to do, but they were great, only moved 10 miles away so all completed in one day.

valiumredhead Wed 10-Jul-13 19:51:49

6 years ago we gave each man a tenner for a drink. Would probably make it 20 now.

HootShoot Wed 10-Jul-13 19:55:34

Thanks everyone. We have two guys, so based on all your feedback I think we'll give them £40 smile

I had it all worked out on the basis of a tenner each, and then as the day wore on other vans pulled up when easier jobs had finished and by five o'clock I had ten men. Had to make an excuse to nip to the cash point and get more money so I had £100 and they seemed to appreciate it.

You have to tip in a restaurant, really, I also tip taxi drivers unless I was unhappy for some reason. I am unsure about hairdressers, but I don't go to a very conventional salon so I just ignore the issue. The one I find a bit tricky is bellboys because I never have cash to hand, I've just arrived with a ton of luggage. So I haven't tried it often and don't really know what's expected.

TwentiethCenturyGirl Wed 10-Jul-13 20:20:08

We gave ours £50 in May. They cost about £300 to do the move (bargain!) and were brilliant - nothing was too much trouble.

WithManyTots Wed 10-Jul-13 20:38:06

.. "All Day Big Breakfast and a mug of tea at Morrisons for everyone I take it"? Never seen a removal van emptied so fast afterwards.....

Jan49 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:55:41

I've never tipped removal men. But I always offer them drinks and snacks. If everyone starts tipping them, then they'll come to expect it so I wish people wouldn't.

specialsubject Wed 10-Jul-13 22:21:50

If you are happy with the job, a tip of £20 or so each would be good, especially given how hot it is.

1gglePiggle Wed 10-Jul-13 23:38:24

I hate the whole issue of tipping. Why are some jobs worth tipping more than others. I'd much rather tip a caring nurse for example than an expensive taxi driver.

HootShoot Thu 11-Jul-13 07:04:09

I know what you mean 1ggle. I don't tip hairdressers or taxis because I think I pay enough. Ido tip at restaurants if I've had good service.

It has been so hot, like you say specialsubject. I think removal men are one of the category that deserves tipping. It's bloody hard work shifting the contents of house to another, and if their polite and look after your belongings I think they deserve a thanks.

Jan49 Thu 11-Jul-13 09:48:43

When I moved this year and last year, the removers were great. I was going to write and thank them afterwards and praise their work, but I received a questionnaire from (I think) BAR so I completed that instead, and I think the comments get passed on to the company.

nemno Thu 11-Jul-13 10:34:56

I think I tipped £20 each 4 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now