How do I know the direction of the grain on a wooden tabletop?

(16 Posts)
flow4 Fri 05-Jul-13 21:01:19

It's an IKEA worktop, and IKEA wood oil will do the job nicely. And it really doesn't matter which direction you apply it: you just slap it on, leave it a bit to sink in, buff it with a dry cloth (in circles if you like!) then repeat a couple of times. smile

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 05-Jul-13 18:04:02

Okay so I actually thought that applying it left to right or right to left would make a difference. That's what I thought the grain was. Never occurred to me to do it 'in and out', doh.

So okay I'll apply the oil/wax left to right or right to left, whatever, but I have one more question since you all seem knowledgeable. This is going to be the top of my very crafty 6YO DD. Would wax or oil be a better solution?

CanadianJohn Fri 05-Jul-13 17:37:46

That's a style we call "butcher block". The grain runs the long way. I doubt that oiling across the grain will make a difference (though sanding would).

Apply the oil lengthwise, just to be sure.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 05-Jul-13 17:32:46

I think it just means go along rather than across it. Not that you have to go specifically left to right or whatever.

nemno Fri 05-Jul-13 17:31:34

I think so too SoupDragon, I am just a rubbish explainer smile

SoupDragon Fri 05-Jul-13 16:59:10

Having zoomed in on the picture, I am pretty certain that's how it goes - it's made of narrow planks and the grain will run lengthways along these.

SoupDragon Fri 05-Jul-13 16:57:39

I would say the grain probably runs the same way as the long edge.

nemno Fri 05-Jul-13 16:54:58

I agree, it isn't really an issue!

GoshlyoHeavens Fri 05-Jul-13 16:48:38

It makes no difference. Oil the fucker.

nemno Fri 05-Jul-13 16:45:14

Stand next to the table on the long side. Oil left to right or right to left (not away and back).

workingtitle Fri 05-Jul-13 16:05:33

Most (all?) work tops are cut in long lengths with the grain so you sand side to side not up and down.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 05-Jul-13 16:01:56

Gawd I'm thick today but I honestly don't know what you mean confused

nemno Fri 05-Jul-13 15:21:41

Go in the direction along the long side ie from short end to short end.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 05-Jul-13 14:54:54

It's this one. I honestly can't tell
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60136557/

nemno Fri 05-Jul-13 14:48:18

What wood is It? Can you not discern any stripeyness at all? Where it is cut at the end are there just dots in the wood? I'd imagine the grain runs with the longest length of the table.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 05-Jul-13 14:41:55

I want to oil it but I know that if I go against the grain, it will feel like sandpaper. So how can I tell what the direction of the grain is? I have tried feeling it with the tips of my fingers but both directions feel the same to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now