ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

How do I sell a house I have been left in a Will please ?

(22 Posts)
Joanne101030 Sun 30-Jun-13 12:30:24

Me and my brother have been left a house in a will and want to sell it.
Does it go to probate (whatever that is?) or can we jut sell and then present the solicitor with a copy of the Will.
Can anyone help as I am very confused ?
Thank you

morethanpotatoprints Sun 30-Jun-13 12:38:06

Once you have the official deeds in your hand, you can do what you like with it.
This is what happened with my parents house. You and your db will have to agree to market the house, choose agents, negotiating offers etc. you will both be equally responsible for this and both be required to sign any admin relating from the sale.

Do not let prospective purchasers know it is an inheritance if you can help it. They will be hoping you will take a lower price to be able to access your money. EA may tell them, but ask if they wouldn't. You can gain a few grand here.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 30-Jun-13 12:41:47


Meant to say, all money and effects will be in the hands of the solicitors, and i presume there are executors whose job it is to make sure that the will is managed according to the wishes of the deceased.
You can't do anything until the house is officially passed to you, along with deeds.
Its just a waiting game, usually a couple of months if nothing holds it up.
Hope this helps a bit.

BackforGood Sun 30-Jun-13 12:52:59

but in the meantime, you can smarten it up / clear out any "stuff" and give it a lick of paint or whatever might be needed to improve chances of a sale smile

specialsubject Sun 30-Jun-13 13:01:26

it will be obvious that it is an inheritance. If it is very dated, might be worth some smartening up. The plus of these properties is that there really is no chain.

don't forget to get suitable empty property insurance in the meantime.

BearPear Sun 30-Jun-13 13:08:56

You need probate which, depending on the value of the estate is something you can do yourself. My DH has done DIY probate since seeing how much cash an elderly relative was charged for a basic estate following a death.

He and his brother were main beneficiaries, the executor was happy for him to sort things out. Bank, pensions, savings, valuables, house all sorted. Probate signed at local office (it's like an affidavit), sorted.

Good luck!

Joanne101030 Sun 30-Jun-13 13:14:28

Many thanks for you replies.
There elm is that both me and my brother are the Will Executers and also the beneficiaries. We have the house deeds but they are in ours rents names. We also have a Will.
So what is the best thing todo?
How do you do a DIY probate please?

Many thanks,

Joanne101030 Sun 30-Jun-13 13:16:15

Sorry bloomin' spellcheck!

That is the deeds are on our parents names! (Not rents and elm should be issue)
Sorry x

cooper44 Sun 30-Jun-13 13:21:51

How straight forward is the estate? If its very simple then you can probably administer it yourself. But equally you can get a solicitor to sort it all out. I can't remember what we paid.
You or whoever does it needs to get all monies owed to the estate and pay off all debts. So it's really like a big admin job. I think first you have to apply for grant of probate though. If you google it there's a very clearly written page on the govt website that runs through the process. If you and your brother are busy I'd probably get a local recommended solicitor to do it. It can be time consuming.

cooper44 Sun 30-Jun-13 13:24:27


Joanne101030 Sun 30-Jun-13 14:38:35

Great - thank you. I think I am going to have a go at doing it myself.
Just one last query -
What if we sell the house and pay the money into my mums account of which I a, a joint account holder. Then split the moe y with my brother ? Would this be illegal ? Seems an easier way,
Any ideas?

morethanpotatoprints Sun 30-Jun-13 14:42:10

We went through a local solicitor and the whole thing cost about 1k.
It was worth it though as suggested above, we were busy, living in a different area to the house. When we did go over to the house we were able to empty it and decorate which in itself took many weekends of work.
The admin even if the solicitor handles probate is quite time consuming, especially when dealing with house offers, estate agents etc.
We also thought it gave us peace of mind that it was all finalised legally and we hadn't missed anything. In the scheme of half a house a grand seemed like nothing.
Good luck OP, hope it all goes smoothly for you and your db.

cooper44 Sun 30-Jun-13 14:44:41

I think (although I could be wrong) that you need to have an account for the estate. And it's probably the neatest way anyway. Why would you want to pay it into your mums account? Or is it her estate?

morethanpotatoprints Sun 30-Jun-13 14:45:43


I think it depends on how much money you will receive. It could be fraudulent as Capital gains might be applicable.
Unless you are really clued up about how these things work, I would seriously avoid trying to do it yourself. I am not trying to put a dampner on it, but you could become really unstuck and end up far worse off than if you had used a solicitor. What does your db say, as executors you do both need to agree at every turn.

cooper44 Sun 30-Jun-13 14:45:54

Maybe post in legal matters for proper advice?

nemno Sun 30-Jun-13 15:42:30

Am amazed at the 1 grand cost. My mum died recently and the solicitor is charging £250 an hour plus VAt. She reckons it will be 15-20 hours. The will is not complicated (everything to Dad), is under Inheritance tax threshold and there is no debt. confused

Too late to change now, Dad basically just thought the solicitor they made wills with was the way to go.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 30-Jun-13 15:51:00


I just took all Dads paperwork from his house, which was documented and accounted for every penny he spent. Most things he had put in place and had left details of every account and bill.
It took hardly any time for the solicitor to sort it out.
Also as executor I did quite a bit myself, which only needed solicitor to round it all up and ask for my and my sisters signature for things.
As another account closed he sent us a cheque for any amount owed to my Dad, so last pension, council tax rebate etc.

nemno Sun 30-Jun-13 16:09:39

Thanks for that morethan, the solicitor took the details of accounts etc (not many) and this is where we are. My dad, at 80, would probably be worried if we weren't doing it 'properly'. But I now know for the future.

Sunnyshores Sun 30-Jun-13 16:24:23

The other advantage of using a solicitor is that he can handle the house sale too - and pay you/brother the end 50/50 share. You dont want the 100% going into an account in your name, will make the tax man very suspicious when you later claim to only have received 50%.

I'm sure there is alot you can do to make maximise the sale price over the next few months- decoration, remove all rubbish, keep the garden neat, furnish rooms (with spares), wash curtains, remove nets, stream clean carpets, get written quotes for any work that is necessary, quotes for GCH, DG - all useful to potential buyers.

As its empty, insure and make secure.

Joanne101030 Sun 30-Jun-13 20:07:39

Many thanks for all your guidance and advice. I am going to try to do the probate myself but if I struggle will get a solicitor.
I 'lll post on here how I got on.

fuckwittery Sun 30-Jun-13 20:23:59

You are not going to be able to sell the house without probate.
The solicitor dealing with the sale will want to deal with the person whose name the house is in, and will ask for ID, or to see the grant of probate. The buyer's solicitor will also check this. You can start the sale process off, but warn the buyer it might take longer to go through as you need probate before you exchange contracts

It is easy if it is a simple estate. Link here

flow4 Mon 01-Jul-13 08:00:33

I don't know about the house sale, but I sorted out other aspects of my dad's estate when he died in 2011. It is quite time consuming to do yourself, and if there had been more than about £4k in total, I would have been tempted to get a solicitor to help.

I don't think you can legally continue to use your joint account now your mum is dead. You need to notify the bank of her death, along with anyone else she had any financial transactions with, including the DWP for her pension, insurance cos, all direct debits, etc. The basic rule is that someone who has died can't make a financial transaction, so you need formal proof of your right to act for her - that's what probate is. You def can't sell the house without probate.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now