Selling our house and question from buyer

(28 Posts)
megsmouse Fri 28-Jun-13 22:51:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jaynebxl Sat 29-Jun-13 10:51:44

Excellent response flow, I'd go with that too.

Beckamaw Sat 29-Jun-13 10:13:57

What a strange question!

I agree with Flow. Good, succinct response.

flow4 Sat 29-Jun-13 10:02:59

Cc estate agent, or better still, ask the EA to email this for you...

"Dear vendor,
No, our purchase price for the house was not the same as the current, agreed selling price. If you are having second thoughts about the price you have agreed to pay, please let the EA know asap, since we have other asking price offers we could proceed with. If you have further questions at this stage, please direct them through the EA.
Yours,
megs

LIZS Sat 29-Jun-13 09:25:32

Can't he just look it up on Right Move confused

megsmouse Sat 29-Jun-13 09:24:12

Mum2Fergus Sat 29-Jun-13 08:32:12

I'd forward to Sols and ask how buyer found out your email address.

Herhonesty Sat 29-Jun-13 07:18:37

Just ignore it.

Jaynebxl Sat 29-Jun-13 07:11:48

How does he have your email address? I wouldn't be worried about telling him but I would expect him to go through the estate agent or solicitor. Our buyers don't have our email and our sellers only gave us theirs when we were very close to the end so we can discuss things like whether we want them to leave a bookcase and a rug. Anything to do with the house sale or purchase has always gone through official channels, with good reason. I'd refer him back to the EA or solicitor.

Mendi Sat 29-Jun-13 06:54:19

He can ask you whatever he likes. Do not lie as that would be a fraudulent misrepresentation which he may later try to claim induced him to enter the contract for sale.

I would just reply saying no, you are not selling it for what you bought it for (if that is true), give no details of your purchase price, and remind him you have several other interested parties so if he has any concerns about the transaction price you would like to know now.

I would also be considering getting some of the other interested buyers back on board for when he starts being a PITA.

What made you go with this buyer in particular over the other asking price offers?

Selling houses makes you very paranoid! I think you just have to start off in good faith and answer questions as openly as you can. Don't try and second guess people. You will go crazy!

savoirfaire Fri 28-Jun-13 23:31:06

*Your potential buyers

savoirfaire Fri 28-Jun-13 23:30:46

What you bought it for is entirely irrelevant. The price is what the market determines the price to be. It could have been half as much, or twice as much, when you bought it and that wouldn't change 'the price' now - particularly as you have had several asking price offers. You potential buyers have determined the price for you (otherwise you'd have had loads of below price offers or some people so desperate to get it that they are offering over). I would do as pookamoo suggests and remind him that formal questions need to be done via solicitors and then ignore.

Roshbegosh Fri 28-Jun-13 23:27:35

He could easily look on zoopla and the current estimate is based on the last sale price. Don't see why he would bother to ask you.

pookamoo Fri 28-Jun-13 23:23:33

He's not really allowed to ask you questions like that. Tell him he needs to get his solicitor to ask your solicitor.

megsmouse Fri 28-Jun-13 23:20:22

I'd just tell him. I don't understand why people are quite so cagey about the info. Even if it isn't listed on property websites he may be able to apply to Land Registry for documents that would give him the details, if he could be bothered.

Having said that, though, it wouldn't sit well with me. What you bought it for is a bit irrelevant really, isn't it?

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Fri 28-Jun-13 23:14:18

I'd tell him. If he's thinking of renegotiating the price, at least it'd be out on the open early and your other offers may still stand if the transaction dies.

bakingaddict Fri 28-Jun-13 23:09:29

Id answer by saying if it is a requirement for the legal purchase of the house then by law it will included amognst the information sent to his solicitor so can you contact them.......obviously its not he is just being nosy, you have no duty to tell him

CointreauVersial Fri 28-Jun-13 23:07:42

I would tell him politely that it's not something you are prepared to disclose.

Or lie, and tell him you inherited it from Great Aunt Maud.

megsmouse Fri 28-Jun-13 23:07:00

HormonalHousewife Fri 28-Jun-13 23:04:12

Go with Minty's advice, what sort of buyer would expect a house to stay at the same price year after year a wierd one

Or Tell him you bought the house x number of years ago and the house has followed the local postcode trend.

megsmouse Fri 28-Jun-13 23:03:10

megsmouse Fri 28-Jun-13 23:00:47

Mintyy Fri 28-Jun-13 23:00:43

Is that really what he said?

If so, I would reply saying "that's a strange question, may I ask why you want to know?"

I'd ignore the question see what they say next.
Then maybe "did you mean to be so rude?"
I'd refuse to answer that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now