Having new kitchen soon - tips for how to reduce the stress/make things move smoothly?

(19 Posts)
twinsufficient Thu 27-Jun-13 21:30:58

Having new kitchen fitted in a month's time. I already feel ill at the thought of all the upheaval and organisation that will be involved. Would love to hear any tips from anyone who's been there and lived to tell the tale!

chickensaladagain Thu 27-Jun-13 21:37:09

Move your freezer into another room and batch cook things that can be microwaved
Invest in paper plates, plastic cups etc to avoid the washing up

Now is the perfect time for a clear out -appliances sandwich toaster that you don't use, old baking trays etc -it's very satisfying clearing it all out

mckenzie Thu 27-Jun-13 21:42:08

chickensaladagain's ideas are great.
And maybe use this next month to invite as many friends over as possible for dinner/tea so that when you're place in being done, they can return the invite grin

moondog Thu 27-Jun-13 21:43:33

I'm there right now.
It has been heavy going.
I also got rid of old/unwanted stuff.
I made my first proper meal in weeks tonight.
Store stuff in plastic lidded boxes as everything in your house will be covered with a fine film of dust so as you put away in boxes, clean, then seal.

SuperiorCat Thu 27-Jun-13 21:47:50

Set up a corner of another room with microwave, kettle, toaster, slow cooker and fridge to see you through.

Takeaways, eating out and disposable plates were how we survived - the kids loved it

twinsufficient Thu 27-Jun-13 21:47:51

I've said that anything we haven't used in the kitchen since we've lived here can go and there is a lot plus junk like old saucepans that need to be thrown out too. Is it worth buying an electric temporary hob type thing to tide us over?

chickensaladagain Thu 27-Jun-13 21:50:31

I did it with a kettle, toaster and microwave

Has your fitter told you how long the fit will take? Anything less than a week you won't need a hot plate

moondog Thu 27-Jun-13 21:52:13

Me too.
h took it upon himself to set up a camping burner thing but I told him that seeing as he does no cooking, it wasn't his place to organise cooking facilities for me.
He quietly dismantled it.

carlajean Thu 27-Jun-13 22:00:55

just make sure that absolutely everything you want done, no matter how tiny the detail, is written in a list, and that the builders have a copy.

We got two temp hobs - cheap induction ones which were fab.
Loads of plastic boxes to store stuff.

We set up a kitchen area in the dining room.

Ended up eating out a fair bit as easier with two small dc. But the hobs helped as could cook a fair bit of stuff.

I got rid of my old saucepans on freecycle.

sybilwibble Thu 27-Jun-13 22:46:53

we got through it with a small two ring hob and a slow cooker and a gas bbq. It wasn't so bad. I also bought some extra large trays to transport food from the temp cooking area to the temp eating area. My builders ripped out eveything except the dishwasher. I kept that going for weeks into the build, when everything else had been stripped out. Then I bought paper plates.

MrsGrowbag Fri 28-Jun-13 06:00:07

We set up a temporary kitchen in our utility room. I bought a small second hand fridge for £10, and a double electric hob for £25 from Amazon. We were without a kitchen for 6 weeks so couldn't have managed without them. Didn't resort to paper plates though! We boxed everything up and managed with the bare minimum. Was really glad when new kitchen finished though!

notcitrus Fri 28-Jun-13 08:33:39

We're planning this later this year. They have to build the kitchen so will be about 2 months, so the plan is to plumb in the washing machine and sink, maybe even dishwasher in the dining room... And fridge and some counter space for the combi microwave oven, toaster, etc.

Now if only the kids would stay out of the way while I try to declutter...

Zoomania Fri 28-Jun-13 08:44:20

Did it for 3 weeks with a 1 yr old. We managed with fridge freezer in garage, table set up with kettle, microwave, kettle and toaster in dining room ( carpet covered with old blankets). Hardest thing was keeping active toddler safe. Oh and bowl in sink in downstairs toilet for washing up but lots of paper plates and plastic cutlery. Best thing was microwave steamer so could cook salmon, fresh veg etc. Also those microwave bags of rice. Jacket potatoes and cheating microwave prepared mash. Then for meat just bought whatever ready meals were on offer...waitrose usually have something discounted at the end of the day. Also microwaved stuff I had prepared in freezer eg lasagne.

Zoomania Fri 28-Jun-13 08:44:35

Oh sorry forgot slow cooker too!

purplewithred Fri 28-Jun-13 08:51:14

wine

Ilanthe Fri 28-Jun-13 09:13:55

We've just finished. Fridge- freezer, microwave, rice cooker, toaster in dining room. Batch cooking in freezer so defrost, cook rice, chuck together for meal. Good job we all like rice! We also had one takeaway and one meal out a week.

They kept our washing machine operating for all but 10 days and sink for all but 12 days. I went away to visit my family that weekend we had no washer and sink, taking the washing with me.

echt Fri 28-Jun-13 09:22:50

We were lucky as laundry lets into the garage where the beer fridge lurks. We had the microwave in the laundry and camping stove in the garage, BBQ on the deck. Fortunately, it's winter here, so the garage functioned perfectly to store veg, milk and butter.

We used a haybox as a slow cooker.

jennycoast Fri 28-Jun-13 09:26:22

Slow cooker/steamer plus plug in induction hob meant we could even entertain from our living room base whilst it was all going on. Much easier than the time before when we did it with just a microwave, which was a nightmare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now