How to get a house move to go quicker?

(17 Posts)
WireCat Thu 27-Jun-13 10:21:24

We've sold to cash buyers.

The house we bought was ready to go as their buyers pulled out.

Survey being done on the house we are buying is being done today. Survey on our house was done a few weeks ago.

How can I push so we move ASAP?

Do I call the solicitor or my estate agents?

Am friendly with the people I'm buyi from so they could push from their side as well. They are waiting to go.

Tbh, I'm just impatient. Also ideally need to be in before the end of the summer holidays. And, I can't see why it takes 8-12 weeks to move!

Mainly though, I am just impatient. hmm

TerrysNo2 Thu 27-Jun-13 10:37:21

Call everyone and agree on an exchange date. Important things to be done are: surveys, searches (make sure solicitors aren't waiting for a full mortgage approval before they action the searches) and enquiries.

Call them everyday if you need to, its the only way to prioritise yourself.

Good luck!

night1971 Thu 27-Jun-13 13:41:30

If you are a cash buyer, you can buy in about 4 weeks, depends on your solicitor. Good luck too! It's very stressful this moving...

WireCat Thu 27-Jun-13 13:47:28

Our buyers are cash buyers.

As the survey on the house we are buying is being done today, I will call the solicitor on Monday.

Will call my EA tomorrow though so see what's happening.

specialsubject Thu 27-Jun-13 15:07:11

as others note, keep phoning. Some solicitors go to sleep if you don't. You are paying a lot of money so keep nagging.

steppemum Netherlands Thu 27-Jun-13 18:24:34

IME it is the solicitors that hold it up. Get a date agreed asap. You can exchange and complete very quickly - same day even? But they will automatically do it as 28 days etc unless you push.

We once bought a flat in 3 weeks while we were out of the country !

WireCat Fri 28-Jun-13 11:43:40

Been into the estate agents today.

He was a bit wishy washy & said he's call the solicitor.

It was my my usual estate agent though.

Anyhow, I shall give it time for the survey to go through & then I shall be pestering the solicitor myself.

That's for the replies.

Zeenah Fri 28-Jun-13 12:05:39

I agree, I am a cash buyer, I'm not stuck in a chain... why, how can it take six weeks to draft up contracts, exchange, sign, complete??? the survey is done too. It's not just impatience it's bafflement. HOW does it take this long.

orangeandemons Fri 28-Jun-13 12:09:01

Well, of the 5 houses I have bought including 2 with cash, none have ever completed in less than 4 months. Most have been nearer 5

Zeenah Fri 28-Jun-13 12:17:21

shock confused

wine wine wine

rovercat Fri 28-Jun-13 15:45:14

The only way we found to get things moving quickly was to hassle solicitors and estate agents and to keep on top of everything that needs either signing or a response. If you know the people you're buying from then I would copy them in on all chasing emails to solicitors and agents and found that this stopped a lot of the wishy washy responses. We managed one house purchase in 6 weeks and one in 4 weeks so it can be done and we were lucky we had a fantastic solicitor who really kept us in the loop and was excellent at keeping everything moving.

BrianButterfield Fri 28-Jun-13 15:47:22

We moved quickly once and it was very much helped by having local solicitors who we could physically drop paperwork in with after work etc. Made turnarounds much quicker.

magpieC Fri 28-Jun-13 15:53:49

If you can, get contact details for buyers and sellers and deal direct with queries etc rather than faffing around with EAs.

WireCat Sun 30-Jun-13 15:04:46

I'm in touch with the lady who's house I'm buying.

Will text her this week & ask her how far along she is. I think she's quite far as she had sold her house & her buyers pulled out. Suspect further up the chain are waiting for us.

mateysmum Sun 30-Jun-13 15:12:17

Yep, keep chasing, keep documenting, keep a tab on who is doing what and when, who is waiting for what piece of paper. Try and get docs sent via email rather than post.Don't be fobbed off when A says the ball is in B's court - make sure B thinks the same and is acting on it and by when. The EA is working for you for a big fat fee and is ideally placed to chase both sides (solicitors can be very stuffy about how they communicate). Make sure you are working towards exchange and completion dates to focus minds. Make sure you get your survey results back asap. Check that there were no issues with the survey on your property.

Essentially - Check and Chase, check and chase again!

mateysmum Sun 30-Jun-13 15:16:10

OP just saw your latest post. Rather than just a general txt query, try and be specific. find out what the next step is and who/when it needs to be done by. Otherwise you might get a wishy washy "fine" reply which will leave you none the wiser.
How long is the chain? How far up the chain are you. Who is chasing the other links? The more you know the more you can pin people down and stop drift in the process.

Good Luck

WireCat Sun 30-Jun-13 23:23:14

Thanks mateysmum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now