How much do things cost?? New kitchen / knocking out wall etc

(19 Posts)
Comfyseat Sat 22-Jun-13 22:46:06

We are about to buy a house in an expensive area..it's a 30s semi
It has a small kitchen that needs gutting so we have decided to knock out the wall between kitchen and back room to make a big kitchen diner. Kitchen is 11 by 7.7 feet and the back room is 13 by 11.5 feet

And we think the exterior needs reprinting.

And a loft conversion of an end of terrace house with a sloping roof

Any ideas at all?
We will source the units fri ikea or somewhere fairly cheap and cheerful!

Comfyseat Sun 23-Jun-13 10:06:47

Anyone???

cassell Sun 23-Jun-13 10:11:02

Depends if you're knocking through a load bearing wall. We did and it cost about £15k for knocking through, putting in steels, re laying floor, re routing electrics & some plumbing, installing kitchen etc (re used some of the old cupboards to keep cost down). We were quoted £28k for a loft conversion but haven't done it. Going to get outside repainted this year, scaffold cost c£1k and painting quote c£2k (3 storey house). We're in London. Hope that helps

wonkylegs Sun 23-Jun-13 10:18:26

About 30k is typical for a terraced house loft conversion.
The question is a bit 'how long is a piece of string' because it depends on so many things.
Size/construction/ finish being the principal issues. Do you need to reroute gas/electrics/plumbing/drainage? New kitchen us probably a case of how much do you want to spend a cheap kitchen can be got for a few thousand or the skies the limit (a project I did had a kitchen that cost £120k just for the units/appliances - I didn't like it myself but each to their own)

wonkylegs Sun 23-Jun-13 10:20:02

Sorry I see you will get cheap units yourself.
I would get a few people out for quotes that will give you the best idea of rough costs.

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 10:30:48

Our project was similar, knocked wall through to dining room, steel in -loadbearing wall - (building control needs notice and will come to inspect) replastering, replumbing (moving pipes). I think the pure building costs were around 5k, but we had a lot going on at the same time and an overall quote.
Local carpenter made our kitchen, was 5k without worktops, sink, tap, oven, hob. fridge which I all sourced online and I painted it myself.
Advantages were that we had a plan on the wall while the construction work was going on, we made fake cupboards from cardboard boxes and could see what it was going to look like.
Ikea came up with a plan which had 50cm of filler pieces. Kitchen isn't huge and we then got quote from carpenter who made the cupboard according to the space. We have some unusual drawer sizes and have used every available inch of space. Looks fantastic and at least 3x more expensive than it was grin

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 10:33:22

Yes, get a few itemised quotes so you can compare, and consider getting a skip on the drive yourself and take the kitchen out. I wouldn't touch gas/electric oven, our plumber (gas safe) did that.

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 10:37:48

Have you considered painting the outside yourself?

I recently did one side of the house because scaffolding was up anyway for loft conversion. It's not exactly rocket science and if on a tight budget might be worth considering.
I have to do the front and back from a ladder, but even if I cannot manage that I will get one of these mobile scaffolding towers to do it, they are less expensive.

Comfyseat Sun 23-Jun-13 14:12:06

I can't imagine me or dh doing the painting.
I get dizzy going upstairs!!

But it's a really good point about using the scaffold for the loft to paint the house from.

I do realise it's hard to be accurate

In my head I was thinking 30k for the loft as the roof will need extending a bit- it's an end of terrace with a roof taut slants in (IYWIM)
It's fugly as hell just now...

I thought kitchen/diner would be 10-15k with abiut 3-5 of thst being the cupboards and appliances ( we have ikea just now and are petty happy with that)

Bathroom is very small but it is foul just now. Carpet is rotten and the bath is t great
The toilet is a health hazard. I don't understand how people can have smelly toilets tbh

So the priority is the bathroom - we don't want OTT so I've put 3-5k for that

It's a high prices house that needs work to make it nice
And more work to make it to our taste
( front garden is just ugly slabs as is much of he back garden too. It's a taste thing but if I lived there they would depress me)

I thjnk we need to hold back 55-60k to make it nice so this means we can't afford full price

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 14:38:43

30k for a loft conversion with structural work on the roof sounds a bit low.
Is it a hip-to-gable conversion?
That's what we had, to have the stairs over the existing stairs. Roof height is very high (3.8m).

I would do whatever you cannot live with first.
Then you don't find yourself over budget and without funds for vital things.

Is bathroom the typical 30s with separate loo? You may want to consider knocking it into one.
We did this and created a massive bathroom, which we absolutely love.
(We even slept in there for a few nights when a ceiling collapsed on us and I got paranoid. Took all but one ceiling down in the whole house.)

Garden comes last for us. Have been here almost a year and seen a full cycle of flowers, started to rip out what I hate (holly, and another deathly spiky bush, brambles that grow like weed). There is still loads of stuff in the garden, needs a conifer taken out at the back as it's HUGE (over 30 feet).
At the garden alone we would like to throw some 40k because dh wants a table tennis hall at the end of the garden. Sadly we didn't win the Euromillions, so that project will have to wait grin

I'm off to paint the bathroom ceiling... (it's never ending)

Mandy21 Sun 23-Jun-13 14:53:57

I don't think knocking down the wall between the kitchen & dining room should vbe too bad - we did it in previous house and it was about £1500-£2000 if I remember correctly - load bearing wall so had a steel put in, replastered just the parts of the wall / ceiling that were affected, moved radiator from wall that was knocked down to another part of the kitchen.

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 15:19:21

Had a look for you, we paid £2.8k for the removal of that wall, steel, replastering, making good of coving and skirting board, put new were needed.
But we are in London. Costs probably half up North grin

Comfyseat Sun 23-Jun-13 15:31:46

We are in London too..

We fncy keeping toilet and bath separate unless we can fit another toilet into the house
If we do the loft then we can.

There is minimal garden, it's all slabs, really! Just slabs apart from a small bit of lawn . Slabs out the front slabs out the back
Terraced slabs too with different pitches of steps so it's ugly and really disorientating -)))

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 16:20:29

Slabs, oh yes. We have green and orange (wtf) paving slabs on our patio, chess board style. When I got the pressure washer out and discovered that I had a good laugh.

Separate loo with washbasin is a good idea. We just like big bathrooms, there are 5 of us and we sometimes all brush teeth at the same time in morning smile pack mentality. Started when dc3 was tiny and and had major tantrums whenever you came near her with a toothbrush. So we all brushed at the same time to make her realise it's not torture but routine.

Mandy21 Sun 23-Jun-13 18:29:46

Not the whole 'everything is half the price oop north' misconception hmm??!

CinnamonAddict Sun 23-Jun-13 20:18:00

Sorry Mandy, I was (half) joking. I have a sister oop North and we compare prices regularly. Should have been a wink though. Forgive me, I'm a forriner and one of those renowned to have no sense of humour.

Fairylea Sun 23-Jun-13 20:20:23

We extended and completely gutted the kitchen. It cost us 11k all in BUT we are in Norfolk so everything is cheaper and we designed the kitchen ourselves (easier than you think) and brought all units from wickes and just paid the builders to fit them.

Comfyseat Sun 23-Jun-13 20:58:56

I e designed this kitchen and did it online with ikea and ordered it rtc and got it delivered.
I'll probably do the same again tbh

So I don't need a designer .... You just have to think how you want it to work and then plan all the cabinets etc...

Mandy21 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:06:28

Cinnamon I'm the opposite, have a sister 'darnnn sarfff' and we often end up paying more than she does so its a pet hate of mine that everyone expects it to cost peanuts as soon as you get north of Watford Gap smile!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now