Autentico or Annie Slian paint for a novice

(13 Posts)
YoniCollette Sat 22-Jun-13 12:09:30

I have managed to find a perfect pine bookcase on eBay. It's pretty big and I had planned to sand, prime and paint with F and B. Now I have it at home I can see that all the little grooves in the wood would making sanding a nightmare.

So my options are find a decorator to do it or give chalk paint a go. I would ideally like a more solid look as its for my 9 year old sons room and I doubt he's bothered about a distressed piece.

If you have used both which is easier? Also can I really just slap it on with no preparation ?

Thanks.

YoniCollette Sat 22-Jun-13 12:42:45

Annie Sloan obviously!

primallass Sat 22-Jun-13 14:06:19

I like Annie Sloan, but also sometimes just use Zinsser shellac primer. I like the colour and it dries so quickly that it can be recoated almost immediately. I did an Edwardian sideboard in it then distressed the edges.

reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/11517594/reviews.htm

YoniCollette Sat 22-Jun-13 14:45:21

Interesting. That would certainly be cheaper. Would I need to sand? I guess the downside is lack of colour choice.

YoniCollette Sat 22-Jun-13 14:47:46

Just had another thought. If the zinsser primer doesn't need sanding I guess I could go with original plan if F and B?

The pine is what I would describe as shiny pine.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 23-Jun-13 09:40:29

Annie Sloan is brilliant to use and looks good. You can get a very 'solid' look - you don't have to distress it. The paint it good quality, so you can mix colours. You could probably do the bookcase with 2 tester pots. What colour are you looking for? The Aubusson blue paint goes on extra well and very solid looking with just the one coat... then you would need a tin of the clear wax which you just put on with a soft cloth and wipe the excess off, the next day you can buff it to make it sheer or shiney if you want to.

YoniCollette Sun 23-Jun-13 10:46:51

My son is fairly laid back and any blue/ green colour would do so that looks good. I guess I could add white if its too dark. Part of the appeal of autentico is the larger colour range so if I can mix its useful.

I thought the bookcase was good value for 50 pounds but after having to spend 55 pounds to courier it here I'm less keen to mess it up!

acmasterpainter Sun 23-Jun-13 19:46:09

There is no prep to do with the chalk paint (and you can mix any colour you like yourself using the chalk paint range) but I wouldn't underestimate the time and elbow grease involved with waxing the chalk paint. I use a bain marie and melt the soft wax to help speed up application, it is satisfying work, but not a 2 minute job.

I know Zinsser say you can paint BIN on almost any surface (apart from wax) with out sanding, but I am not a fan of just priming lacquered pine with BIN. It really does need cleaning first (we use citrus based degreaser) and for belt and braces, sand wet with a 180 grade wet n dry abrasive, to add the key.

As an idea of what I am trying to convey about not just slapping non chalk paint on surfaces without prep - Owatrol's ESP is a superb wipe on primer, but it also requires cleaning, with itself, first. It is a less arduous option to sanding to provide a key, but as I say, clean the surface and then wipe it on.

As with all jobs around the home, you have to factor in the cost of material and time before you can arrive at what is the best way ahead.

I know that sanding is the biggest turn off for most home decorators (it is for many professionals too, sadly) but look into the Mirka Abranet Starter kit. It is a basic but very effective dust extraction sander, and plugs into your Henry or similar vac. Sanding becomes a pleasure, really smile On conventional paints, using say 320 grade abranet between top coats, you will be amazed at the speed and ease of use, and you will see a big difference in the final finish. It is a robust sanding block and will serve you well for many years.

A decent piece of furniture of the size you describe would cost a LOT of money new and painted, so you are on to a winner doing it yourself.

Aubusson blue, I like your style, can't beat a bit of colour

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 23-Jun-13 21:47:13

Collette - there are other blues in the range, but I have found the Aubusson goes on the nicest of them all. I made a lovely purple with that, emperors silk & a bit of pure white, it mixes well with other colours.

Greek blue is a nice colour, but quite 'soft' and you definitely need two coats.

I have used the graphite on quite a few pieces as well - it looks pretty cool but isn't a very even finish close up.

Antibes isn't as nice to use, but if he likes a bit of colour it's very striking! You could always use say Graphite on the outside and the 'sides' on the inside and use something like the Antibes on the shelves themselves.

Another good thing with Annie Sloan is, if you don't like the colour, you can just whack another one on top of it grin

YoniCollette Mon 24-Jun-13 16:28:12

Right thanks for everyone's replies. I came here for advice and I've taken it. I've ordered some Aubusson blue. I doubt I have a steady enough hand to do edges and sides differently! No one came to discuss autentico and so it's been dismissed!

I'm loving the sound of the mirka starter kit for sanding. That's definitely something I will consider buying in the future.

yelloowqueen Wed 16-Dec-15 07:35:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Scouten Wed 13-Jan-16 08:04:34

I know its an old post but some people still read these smile
I would absolutely not dismiss Autentico paint. So much easier to paint with and a far better range. Their wax is much easier to apply too. If you want to avoid waxing or varnish you could use Autenticos Versante, hard wearing chalk paint with the same qualities as 'regular' chalk paint, just far better.

Jungfraujoch Thu 14-Jan-16 13:44:38

There is also a chalk aint range called Everlong which doesn't need waxing.

www.everlongpaint.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now