Why do kitchen designers still go on about the "work triangle" of sink, cooker and fridge?

(143 Posts)
BasilBabyEater Wed 19-Jun-13 22:14:37

Given that everyone's got a dishwasher now and lots of veg is pre-washed?

Do we still need it? Did we ever need it? Does anyone live without it and feel every day a rage at not having it?

What should a well-designed kitchen have nowadays?

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 07:53:26

I hadn't thought of the bit about situating your crockery cupboard so it's convenient for the dishwasher.

I can empty 95% of my dishwasher without having to move more than a step away from it (and it's not because I have a teeny kitchen smile) The only things I have to move for are the cutlery and any mixing bowls.

middleagedspread Fri 21-Jun-13 08:18:43

Can I ask where do you put
baking sheets, muffin tins, tart cases etc?
heavy casseroles?
plastic bags?

All the endless bits of paper?

over thinking kitchen

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 08:23:43

baking sheets, muffin tins, tart cases etc?

Cupboard over the oven

heavy casseroles?

I don't really have any. Bottom pan drawer or drawer under the oven. I also have a corner cupboard with rarely used things like lasagne dishes.

plastic bags?

Fabric "old bag" tube thingy in what amounts to the understairs cupboard.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 08:24:47

In my next kitchen, I am having the base units all as drawers, no cupboards.

I don't have any actual firm plans to refit my kitchen but I enjoyed playing on the Ikea kitchen planner thing smile

LifeofPo Fri 21-Jun-13 08:29:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ouryve Fri 21-Jun-13 10:36:05

Of course, all this efficiency stuff is mitigated when your "breakfasting kitchen" is 9' by 12'. Everything is to hand (so long as you don't trip over the giant box of lego that has to be stored in there so DS2 doesn't tip it all out)

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 14:54:46

I've never got to grips with baking sheets and cake tins.
They were in a jumble in a high cupboard and I expect they still will in new kitchen if I don't Get A Grip.
I may have to submit myself to Lakeland.
A true guilty pleasure although I suspect a lot of that stuff bought by mildly depressed middle aged women (perish the thought that I should be one!) such as the covers for the hobs. hmm

Some is so great though.
It is surprisingly easy to lose oneself in a haze of e cloths and citrus oils......

Bonsoir Fri 21-Jun-13 14:56:24

Have you got one of those oversized electric toothbrush thingies for cleaning in corners? A Lakeland old lady special! I have one and bought one for my mother, who bought one for my aunt, and sometimes we have conversations over lunch about it grin

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 15:49:43

God no, but I would love one.
I once bought a steam cleaner and was very excited but it was useless sadly.

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 15:56:19
moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 15:57:18
noddyholder Fri 21-Jun-13 15:58:37

I am mid development atm and am living in this one and I have left teh old kitchen deliberately so that I can cook etc and will refit it last. The current one is very 80s with shaker cream units fake wood worktops and basic tiled splash back No drawers or open shelves and a gas hob and plain oven.It is ancient looking but vgc and I am really enjoying how hardy it is and how non precious i can be setting boiling stuff on the tops and spilling stuff all the time. White hard plastic sink which you can scour with bleach and it doesn't scratch or anything Dp thinks we are keeping it I don't think so!No dishwasher It is very easy to work in though New stuff is a lot of cleaning

MadBusLady Fri 21-Jun-13 16:02:43

Ooh we have one of those 80s white plastic sinks. I'd never even heard of them before. I am surprised at how practical it is.

middleagedspread Fri 21-Jun-13 16:13:31

No one has told me where they put all the endless piles of paper.
Please don't say deal with it immediately or file it because I can't.

I did buy some nice storage boxes but I filled them up (with stuff that needs sorting)very quickly.

Would a paper draw be a good idea?

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 16:22:29

You have to learn how to deal with it otherwise it takes over your life.
I have an old fashioned wooden in/out tray I keep on the kitchen table.
Other papers go into special drawers in the office.

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:55

I've got one of these Utensilo wall organiser things too. I don't think it is that great. The comparmtnets aren't deep enough nad not enough key hangers.

SwedishEdith Fri 21-Jun-13 16:39:50

Yes, yes, yes, to drawers everywhere. Some of mine look like cupboards but pull out and have another pull-out shelf/drawer inside. Keep bread in one so no need for a bread bin. I think I need a tiny little hoover though for the crumbs

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 17:46:59
noddyholder Fri 21-Jun-13 17:53:17

I need that little henry

Bonsoir Fri 21-Jun-13 18:12:36

I don't do paperwork in the kitchen! I have a desk and cupboard in the hall (which is very spacious) and that way post and paperwork never need go anywhere near the kitchen, which solves the random paper pile problem. I do however have box files for all the appliance instruction manuals that I keep at the top of a cupboard near the kitchen.

LifeofPo Fri 21-Jun-13 18:15:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moondog Fri 21-Jun-13 18:15:55
TheRealFellatio Fri 21-Jun-13 18:19:24

Yes we still need it, in an ideal world. It just makes life easier and more streamlined, and if you can achieve it then you should, but that's not to say you can't have a lovely functional kitchen without it.

Tizwozliz Fri 21-Jun-13 19:16:15

I'd disagree on the cutlery drawer by the dishwasher, cutlery goes in a nice basket which is easy to carry wherever you want in the kitchen. Being able to put plates and bowls away more easily is preferable in my opinion. We have to spin and step for ours, which works fine. Siting immediately alongside the dishwasher can cause problems with access to cupboards while the dishwasher is open.

Compromise in our design was the fridge placement. It's a long way from the tea making area but we were constrained by the shape/size of the kitchen and the OH doesn't take milk in his tea anyway.

Tea making is alongside sink, with mugs and tea above.

'Spare' workspace above dishwasher alongside sink for piling plates before loading.

Workspace prep either side of hob with enough space that you can take stuff out of oven and put alongside without taking up all the available space.

Love my under oven drawer for baking trays. Other thing that works well which was entirely unintentional is we have cupboards with internal drawers which leave a lovely space underneath for flat items like trays and chopping boards.

Undersink drawer with bins is great too, open drawer, scoop potato peelings out of the sink straight into drawer beneath.

Tizwozliz Fri 21-Jun-13 19:17:45

Oh and plastic bags go in the cupboard that hides the hideousness that is the boiler complete with pink painted wallpaper behind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now