Why do kitchen designers still go on about the "work triangle" of sink, cooker and fridge?

(143 Posts)
BasilBabyEater Wed 19-Jun-13 22:14:37

Given that everyone's got a dishwasher now and lots of veg is pre-washed?

Do we still need it? Did we ever need it? Does anyone live without it and feel every day a rage at not having it?

What should a well-designed kitchen have nowadays?

Bonsoir Thu 20-Jun-13 19:52:17

I agree, moondog - I don't like islands either. I like a proper kitchen table (wood, that you can roll pastry out on and scrub clean) in the middle of my kitchen.

LauraPashley Thu 20-Jun-13 20:10:48

I have to disagree with your kitchen designer re the bin middleagedspread, we are in the midst of this at the moment and I think I would not have my mahoosive silver branantia thing again, but a small under counter thing that gets emptied every day. Less smelly surely?

Can I ask people's opinions re ovens - built in so they are at eye height (but imo look a bit silly), or freestanding range type thing?

noddyholder Thu 20-Jun-13 20:15:39

I have never done an island apart from once and the woman had fake nails and tits

noddyholder Thu 20-Jun-13 20:16:12

moondog what fridge do you have?

LittleBearPad Thu 20-Jun-13 20:18:20

Argh mezzaluna. They always make me think I've just skinned my fingers with one.

We went from a small bin to a brabantia style one and I love the fact it doesn't fill up in a day. But then I avoid all bin tasks like the plague.

middleagedspread Thu 20-Jun-13 20:18:33

laura no, it was a beautiful built in bin, that fits standard big bin liners.
Sort of rolled out from under the work surface.

MadBusLady Thu 20-Jun-13 20:23:13

grin noddy

Laura my mum loves her eye height oven. I find them a bit alarming, I am too much of a klutz not to spill and drop stuff, so I prefer to be close to the floor! But there are aesthetically pleasing ways of doing both, have seen eye height appliances look striking in a sheeny wall of them, or very dramatically hidden in cupboards.

I do think though that if you're at all planning the kitchen with an eye to resale value you can't beat the appeal of a freestanding range thing.

moondog Thu 20-Jun-13 20:36:10

It is a very lovely tall slim Bosch.
I don't like big fridges. They look so greedy.
Yes, yes Bonsoir to scrubbed wooden table.

I must admit to being rather put out this afternoon. The painters had applied the first coat of F&B Slipper Satin and I was thinking how calming it looked in contrast to lovely view outside through the new bifolds to the fields and oak trees. My father came in and said 'Ah, I see you went for magnolia.'

LifeofPo Thu 20-Jun-13 20:45:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LauraPashley Thu 20-Jun-13 20:52:08

Ooh moondog please talk bifolds to me- do you love them? What configuration did you go for?

VerySmallSqueak Thu 20-Jun-13 20:54:51

We have no dishwasher shock.

We have a simple cooker sink and fridge triangle and it works well.

Which is good because it's how it was when we moved in.

Floggingmolly Thu 20-Jun-13 20:54:59

Gold glass island... That is as tacky as fuck, madbuslady. Real Footballers Wives stuff.
Love the cupboards behind it, though.

moondog Thu 20-Jun-13 20:57:53

Oh my goodness, yes I do.
We took out a whole back wall to put them in as our kitchen overlooks a field. It was a big job, putting in reinforced steel joists to pin up the rest of the house. We went to the Grand Designs Show in Birmingham and went for this company after dh spent hours talking to them all (while I sat on a sofa with the Telegraph and a cup of tea).

They delivered and fitted.
I LOVE them. They open onto a big swathe of decking and it is just perfect. One could argue they are also a trend like islands but I can't see that a lovely view and a sense of space can ever go out of style. I spent a large part of yesterday evening buffing them to perfection and sighing with happiness.

There 4 segments and about 3.5 metres in all.
I don't like them when they take up the whole of a wall or the end of the building/ Our house is modern and quite plain and so are these.

BasilBabyEater Thu 20-Jun-13 22:23:24

I have just moved my cutlery drawer on the strength of this thread. grin

ouryve Thu 20-Jun-13 22:26:58

Everyone doesn't have a dishwasher and some of us still buy real food that isn't pre-washed.hmm

My kitchen is a little inefficient, since I took out the tiny under counter fridge and replaced it with a bigger one at the other side of the kitchen. I have my hob and sink either side of me when I work, though, which works well.

Jan49 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:39:09

I've never owned a dishwasher. I also rarely buy any kind of prewashed veg.

I lived for over a decade in a tiny kitchen which wouldn't fit a fridge, so to get to the fridge you had to go via the hall into the dining room. Pain in the neck when you have food cooking that you can't leave. I now have a kitchen diner and it's brilliant. It's still tiny but the fridge is in it, I can lay the table whilst watching food cook, and the washing machine is in an outside porch so there's the kitchen is just for food and washing up. I love it.smile

moondog Thu 20-Jun-13 22:44:41

I'd love a larder with slate or marble shelves. All cool and dark.

fossil971 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:45:11

This is fascinating browsing on ergonomics of kitchens. It's a work zone sequence of food storage-nonfood storage-cleaning-cooking-serving. I obsessed for months over mine with many variants on the Ikea planner.

Every room has its constraints and I didn't quite get ergonomic perfection but the best bits were

The kettle is on top of a unit that has crockery and cutlery in it and mugs/glasses above. Next to this is the fridge and dishwasher. So both dish-unloading and tea-making require virtually no walking.

Also having a wide (1.3m) and deep worktop between sink and cooker with utensils near it for actual cooking/prep/baking etc. I can never figure out how people manage with a cooker stuffed into a chimney recess or an island without a hob in it - aren't you constantly running across the room with handfuls of chopped onions? And no wall cupboards above this space because they block light and headroom.

A revelation was putting the breadbin IN the larder. I worried for ages about where to put the sodding thing as I don't have much worktop. Brilliant!

In most rooms you will get a triangle by default but the bits in between are really important too. I think very often designers don't put a proper workspace between the sink and cooker which makes meal preparation very hard work. Or the sink drainer is facing towards the cooker hmm.

moondog Thu 20-Jun-13 22:48:44

Oh another good thing was going for big wide drawers.
Now everything accessible straight away and not all rammed into a pot on the side which looked nice but was not really practical as I could not get at half the stuff.

I wonder what people's favourite kitchen implements are?
Mine I think is a cast iron frying pan my sister found by the side of the road in the west of France. Also some shashlik skewers I bought from an old Russian OAP in a roadside sale in a freezing winter in Russia. Less exotically, a Parmesan grater from Lakeland and a potato testing knife (very long and thin and fragile) I inherited from my grandmother..

My worst was the ice cube trays that broke the first time I twisted them to free the ice.

moondog Thu 20-Jun-13 22:54:47

Oh yes Fossil.
Very nice.
I love the idea of getting it all just right.
My dh is the same with his garage/workroom.
(How traditional we are!)
It is all arranged just so.

Odd cooking in someone else's kitchen and not having stuff to hand.
I did a house swap with an MNer once and she phoned me on the first day, asking where the toaster was.
I didn't have one-we used the grill.

It tickles me that Americans don't seem to have kettles.
Mad.
I don't like electric ones though.
I only want one to go on the hob as it looks nice.
Plugs and leads are nasty things. I am amazed we still have them. I got the electricians I had in today to replace all the flexes and plugs on my lamp to nice heavy brass coloured ones. They look much smarter.

gamerchick Thu 20-Jun-13 22:58:06

Everyone does not have a dishwasher.. I certainly don't. Height of laziness imo. What's wrong with a sink of hot soapy water and wash up as you go? wink

I certainly don't buy pre washed veg either.. prepare from scratch is easier (also my OP).

I have a decent sized kitchen but the bloke wanted a huge fridge freezer with water dispenser. It's like fucking Gullivers travels in my house. But a dishwasher would be over my dead body.

Bonsoir Fri 21-Jun-13 07:23:20

It's not lazy to have a dishwasher - it frees up time to do more productive things. Laziness is not optimizing productivity!

LifeofPo Fri 21-Jun-13 07:36:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sudointellectual Fri 21-Jun-13 07:36:38

I am considering getting two dishwashers in the new place. One clean, one dirty. grin

I hope I am lazy! It's one of the three great virtues.

Roshbegosh Fri 21-Jun-13 07:43:40

Gamerchick, you are odd IMO to think it's lazy to choose not to spend hours and hours washing and drying dishes. Do you take your laundry down to the river with a wooden scribbling board and out it through a wrangle? No, Lazy girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now